Why do you like LazyTown? - Robbie Rotten is hilarious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you like LazyTown? - Robbie Rotten is hilarious

Robbie Rotten is hilarious (kind of reminds me of Jim Carrey, who I also like)

Some of it is so ridiculous it is funny (Sportacus: "There is a giant banana ... and he's in trouble. Carrots!")

And it kind of gets me motivated in a way

I first wandered across it on a Saturday afternoon or two when it was on my local CBS. My initial reaction was basically... O.o (tho fyi, its not the only "young"ish show I watch.. I still keep up with a bunch of animated shows and even stuff on PBS)

Then after a musical number (cant rember if it was a random song or the end Bing Bang) there was a passing thought of... "Heyy, thatd be cool to vid..."

Another random thought of how cute Stephanie is...

Then after checking it out online, complete LOLFUL surprise at it actually having a fandom, and an active one at that! (fandom = collection of fans who like a show/movie/book/etc enough to make fannish stuff for it)

And I found that a few fanvids had already been made, well I *had* to try it myself then!

Of course, then there was also-
    Originally posted by notoriousmdc
    There is a great positive message, which I don't otherwise have in my life... I actually want to take care of myself and live healthier, though I've yet to make any real headway... :p And besides, it's absolutely hilarious!
    Ditto! ;DD

Comment

I was in the fortunate situation of catching it upon its first broadcast on Nick Jr. I had just woken up, and was mashing the "favorite channel" button to find something to watch. Now, even though the following day would be my first day at college, Nickelodeon still dominated most on my TV tuning (especially since Comedy Central lost SNL.) So im flipping by and I see the strangest thing ever: a girl with pink hair!

I flip by it, but then it registers in my head what I thought I saw. So I hit the "last channel" button which brings me back to Nick, and sure enough, a girl with pink hair. As I briefly watched I was floored. The girl was really "selling" her acting, she was phenomenal. The only other time I was that impressed by a girl of that age's acting was Natalie Portman in Leon: The Professional (Should Julianna stick with it, I don't doubt she can reach that kind of level also.) And she was talking to...at the time I couldn't tell if they were puppets or if they were really convincing CG.

However, then the song (Have you Never) started. I groaned at the idea of watching a show with corny musical numbers and stupidly changed it. After going around the horn however, I flipped back to the strange show. I was indescribably intrigued. I couldn't figure it out. In the first ep, they showed alot of "tricks" like showing full body motion of the puppets, so at the time I had no idea how they could achieve the results without CGing those characters -- but they looked too believable to be CG! Robbie Rotten was hilarious, I was extremely impressed with Stephanie, and then the show went into another song (Bing Bang, of course) but this time I was sold enough to give it a shot. I immediately regretted my decision to skip on the first song, because the second song was like nothing else you'd find on a show that would break into musical numbers.

I, foaming at the mouth, checked to see if they would show it again. Saints be praised at the time they ran Lazytown twice (9 and 12 iirc) so i caught the second showing at 12 and hung on every frame -- much as I still do now.

As I mentioned at the start, the next day I would start college. What I was studying in college was/is radio-tv-film, so catching this show when I did in that situation HAD to be divine intervention. It gave me a new ideal. Lazytown is like nothing else on TV, maybe ever. It is completely unique, beautifly stylized. In a medium of a wide selection of limited variety, Lazytown is without a doubt its on microcosm on the tube. Its smartly written, it's everything I can appreciate and admire that production above almost any other show.

Comment

Another film major on my GetLazy? It's more likely than you think!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Tindell
          Another film major on my GetLazy? It's more likely than you think!
          *high-five!*

=P

Comment

Here's my essay:

I love it because:

* It's technically brilliant. The HD format and CGI is incredible
            * I love the colours, it's so bright and cheery
            * It's funny, especially some of the dialogue
            * Stefan's acting is amazing
            * The puppets. I'm a big fan of puppetry
            * The songs are great
            * It sends a positive message without being condescending
            * I love the airship, what a masterpeice of design that is. (I'd live in one myself, except it might get a bit messy with all my animals pooping on the polished wood floors.)

The quality of the show is head and shoulders above almost all TV (kids or adults). Magnus's genius and passion shines through in every episode. Trying to compare Lazytown to the crap that's on TV these days is like trying to compare a Ferrari to a Billycart.

This show has literally turned my life around.

I discovered this show while I was at a really low point of my life. I'd been really sick for over a year, I caught Leigionairre's disease, which resulted in my hip joint having to be removed (long story). I had been in hospital, stuck in bed for ages, with the prospect of many months before I'd be able to walk again. My marriage was on the rocks, I was overweight, and depressed.

Watching Lazytown became the highlight of my day. For half an hour I could forget about the fact that I was stuck in a dreary little hospital room, unable to even sit up let alone walk. I was transported away into a world of brightness and motion. For the first few days, I just watched. Then, I started waving my arms around for the Bing Bang dance. The nurses learnt to leave me alone while Lazytown was on.

I went home for a couple of months, where I learnt to do the Bing Bang dance on one leg. Then back to hospital, armed this time with a portable DVD plaver and 7 Lazytown DVDs.

I'm now back at home, and dancing around the house (albeit with a really bad limp). I'm so much more happy in myself, my marriage is back on track, and I'm getting thinner by the day.

Lazytown makes me happy, even when I'm not watching it doped up to the eyeballs on morphene ;)

On a slightly different topic, in a fight between Stephanie and Trixie, Trixie would win because she'd fight dirty. Stephane would be too honourable to do anything like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ponycat
              On a slightly different topic, in a fight between Stephanie and Trixie, Trixie would win because she'd fight dirty. Stephane would be too honourable to do anything like that.
              In before fanfic.

Comment

Lazytown makes me happy, even when I'm not watching it doped up to the eyeballs on morphene ;)
                You seem like the type of person that would like to play the Lazytown Drinking game

Comment

Originally posted by Zafa
                  You seem like the type of person that would like to play the Lazytown Drinking game
                  Now that sounds like FUN, how do you play ?

Comment

Originally posted by Zafa
                    Now that sounds like FUN, how do you play ?
                    When ever a character eats sportscandy... drink
                    When Robbie changes into a disguise... drink
                    Stephanie doesn't approve of something... drink
                    Asian Stephanie makes an appearance... drink
                    Sportacus saves someone... drink
                    If the Lazytown cat makes an appearance... take two drinks

You can always add more if you want to
                    ;)

Comment

When Sportacus does a flip - drink!

Comment

Originally posted by moomoo
                        When Sportacus does a flip - drink!
                        That would be a bottle of the stuff in like the matter of 2 seconds!

Comment

Exactly.

Comment

Because it is ****ing awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by TarpLT
                              Because it is ****ing awesome.
                              Did you really need to go into that much detail?
                              If I wanted to read a book, I would. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X