Support Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support Thread

I'm not sure if this is even the right forum to be posting this in. (I'll delete this if not.) But after this nightmare week, something needs to be said.

On the 8th, we had all finished celebrating a friend's birthday. I've known this person for 10+ years now. After that day, she went quiet. It was really unlike her, as she usually is active on social media, and texts back right away. It was strange, but deep down I knew something was wrong.

I tried to call her, and her mom answered. She had tried to kill herself that night. She's alive, but in intensive care, and still in a daze from the massive amounts of medication she had taken to try and overdose.

I don't know who needs to hear this, but you are not alone. There are people who will miss you, and there are so many steps you can take before suicide. This has been said so many times, but suicide is a permanent fix to a temporary problem. It's not shameful or weak to admit that you need help. It's never too late to get help. Talk to your friends, family, online, anyone. Even such a wholesome and good natured community as Getlazy might have people who need this. (edit) I'm aware that there's a lot more that goes into this subject, but I'm not in my right state of mind as of now.

Re: Support Thread

Originally posted by Ezaconefifeten View Post
    I'm not sure if this is even the right forum to be posting this in. (I'll delete this if not.) But after this nightmare week, something needs to be said.

On the 8th, we had all finished celebrating a friend's birthday. I've known this person for 10+ years now. After that day, she went quiet. It was really unlike her, as she usually is active on social media, and texts back right away. It was strange, but deep down I knew something was wrong.

I tried to call her, and her mom answered. She had tried to kill herself that night. She's alive, but in intensive care, and still in a daze from the massive amounts of medication she had taken to try and overdose.

I don't know who needs to hear this, but you are not alone. There are people who will miss you, and there are so many steps you can take before suicide. This has been said so many times, but suicide is a permanent fix to a temporary problem. It's not shameful or weak to admit that you need help. It's never too late to get help. Talk to your friends, family, online, anyone. Even such a wholesome and good natured community as Getlazy might have people who need this. (edit) I'm aware that there's a lot more that goes into this subject, but I'm not in my right state of mind as of now.
    Oh gosh, I'm genuinely sorry to hear that.
    Trust me when I say that the OG's on this forum know the, well, indescribable feelings that you're feeling, but while our outcome ended in tragedy, you still have your friend, and the fact you're clearly concerned about them enough to write this post I'm sure means you'll be there for her as much as you can.
    Are you ok though? be sure to take care of yourself too.

There's a youtuber called Mystic7 who, I think this year is releasing a free mental health platform for people to use, and I'll definitely be spreading the word more about that when it's released, as some people are so shy they can't get the help they need in the real world, and talking online in a safe space, it won't cure them, but it might be the thing that distracts them long enough for the storm to pass as it were.

Also
    a wholesome and good natured community as Getlazy
    It brings my heart great joy to hear you say that. I'm by no means the brains of this whole outfit, but I do care about everyone here.
    When it goes well, which thankfully is most of the time, it's a thing of beauty.
    Getur einhver annar verið Glanni ? það bara passar ekki
    Stefan Karl Stefansson, það er enginn eins og þú!

Comment

Support Thread

Originally posted by Glanni's Girl View Post
      Trust me when I say that the OG's on this forum know the, well, indescribable feelings that you're feeling
      I do recall seeing a video on YouTube about that, and I too am sorry for you guys that everything happened the way it did. Thank you so much for your concern- the others in our friend group are managing okay. We had all gotten together last night and had a huge cry fest, and all were trying to think about where to go from here. I agree with you 100% that the internet is a great source for self help. It might not be able to replace a therapist or counsellor, but it can certainly help pull someone out of a downward spiral. There are a ton of subreddits dedicated to self help and self care, there's a topic for pretty much any mental disorder, same with YouTube. Heck, even 4chan's /fit/ board had self improvement threads every now and then.

Comment

First off, I'm so sorry for the pain you and your friend must be going through right now. Sending good thoughts and hugs your way.
        Secondly, thank you for reaching out on here. That was very brave of you, and very considerate to give others a platform on here to speak and feel safe and wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy4Ever View Post
          First off, I'm so sorry for the pain you and your friend must be going through right now. Sending good thoughts and hugs your way.
          Secondly, thank you for reaching out on here. That was very brave of you, and very considerate to give others a platform on here to speak and feel safe and wanted.
          An update on all of this, my friend was finally released from the hospital, and is now home. She's going through a 5 day therapy program, and she's on medication that seems to be helping so far. It's a relief after this nightmare of a week.

I may be a rando on the internet, but that doesn't mean that I cant try to help. I don't want anyone to make the same mistakes with this that I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Ezaconefifeten View Post
            I may be a rando on the internet, but that doesn't mean that I cant try to help
            Absolutely! You're a human being looking out for another human being, nothing bad about that at all.
            Getur einhver annar verið Glanni ? það bara passar ekki
            Stefan Karl Stefansson, það er enginn eins og þú!

Comment

Working...
            X