How To Use Utagoe: The Easy Vocal Extraction Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Use Utagoe: The Easy Vocal Extraction Tool

Utagoe is a program which allows for the extraction of acapellas or instrumentals by "subtracting" audio from a full song.
    Thanks to Bädo Innos for a more updated version!

DOWNLOAD
    TUTORIAL FOR OLDER VERSION IS UNDER THE CURRENT VERSION. IT GOES INTO MORE DEPTH, BUT MAY BE INCORRECT INFORMATION. MOST OF THE CONCEPTS STAY THE SAME, THOUGH.

EDIT: NEW TUTORIAL
    IN PICTURE FORM

Once you run the program, you will notice that most of the text will be question marks ("?"). This is because the program was developed in Japan and never had an english port, but that is not much of a problem.

This information comes from Utagoe's included help PDF, which was all in Japanese and translated using google translate. Some of it may be incorrect, but I used common sense to make sense of it. It in theory should be all correct. The final page was not critical information, but you are still free to translate it for yourself if you are running into problems.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Help1.png
Views:	1
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	153249

Name:	Help2.png
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	153250

Name:	Help3.png
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	153251

Name:	Help4.png
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	153252

OLDER VERSION(S) OF UTAGOE:

Once opening, you will see this -

Name:	OrSiFxA.png
Views:	2
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	153244

(Except the text will not be there. The file directories will be there, EX. C:\Users\___\Desktop\bingbang.wav)

The folder icon next to the file directory. Pressing this icon will allow you to add a file the easy way with file explorer.
    I've never used it, but I assume that the speaker icon next to it allows playback of the wav file.

-First file is the full song,
    -Second file is the file you want to be "subtracted" from the original. In theory, if your second file is an acapella/vocal track, subtracting this from the first file would leave you with an instrumental. In this case, though, we don't have the acapella, so we are going to add the instrumental.
    -Third file is the file name you want to give the final product (ex. the vocal track). This file does not have to exist, it can be anything in any directory (preferably the desktop).

Here is an example:

Name:	7aekYlA.png
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	153245

Now, to the other buttons.

The large button in the top right with a musical symbol is the button that runs the process and does all of the hard work. If everything works as planned, pressing this button will show a progress bar at the bottom. If it is taking a while (It shouldn't), you should still be able to play the song while it is being processed (At least in VLC).

Name:	nrVAcOl.png
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	153246

If the finished track doesn't sound clean (or just didn't work properly at all), you can press the second button down (It looks like a hammer and wrench) to modify settings.
    I do not know what most of the settings do, but I will try to explain them as best as I can.

Name:	1mYHlSD.png
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	153247

That is the tab/page you should see when opening the settings section.

The slider on the right is the most effective way to tweak the amount of subtracting that the program does, the lower end removing less sound, but sounding more normal, and the higher end removing more, but at the risk of sounding more "robotic" when finished. I generally use a setting of 2.1, but this varies a little song by song.

You will have to play with the other radio buttons a little bit to get the vocals to a more acceptable level, but leaving them at the default is good enough, most of the time.

Name:	F7Xibsp.png
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	153248

The second tab has a few more settings, most notably being the high and low pass filters.

I am not sure about the others, but the top right option seems to be how many passes the program does when removing the instrumental from the song. (Ex. Removing the instrumental once, then taking the result and removing the instrumental again).

So, that is how you use Utagoe. I am sure that it is not the finest method for extracting vocals from a song, but it is pretty easy.

Edit: Here's what All Together sounds like when using all default settings except for the slider at 2.1: All Together Vocals

I've been looking for this program for a while! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Personally, I find that any setting above about 1.8 leaves the vocals sounding robotic.

Also, some other stuff should be noted.

Utagoe automatically moves the tracks to line them up, and it is very bad at doing so, especially when the tracks have radically different waveforms due to 'acapella sections' or whatever. As such, certain songs with beginning 'acapella sections' (such as Lazy Scouts, Boogie Woogie Boo and Recipe for Energy) give a much better result in Utagoe if you cut those acapella sections off (from both the track and the instrumental).
      The movement feature cannot be turned off to my knowledge, but if someone knows how to, please tell everyone, because that would drastically improve the quality of available 'vocal' tracks.

I also find that adjusting the 'amplification' of the full and instrumental tracks so that they have the same peaks and troughs improves the quality of the output.

My last note is that the instrumentals and full versions of the songs do not always match up in terms of arrangement or speed. For example, Playtime's instrumental has a longer outro and doesn't stop for the "Simon says stop" part, I Am a Prince's instrumental has an intro that is twice as long, and I Can Move's instrumental is a slightly different tempo.

Originally posted by Cutiejea
      Does it work for mac?
      Originally posted by Glitchtastic
      No, Windows only. It might work with WINE.
      The easier and more reliable option is simply running a virtual Windows machine with VirtualBox, or, alternatively, dual-booting your Mac.

Comment

I guess this is a newer version
        https://mega.nz/#F!UNlhQLhK!gx_N7IdTbNSiNgYWT2URKQ

Comment

Edited entire post to add a translated version of the Japanese tutorial for the new Utagoe that was provided by Bädo. Download link also changed, it now includes the tutorial inside the zip file. Old Utagoe tutorial can stay here, though.

Comment

Re: How To Use Utagoe: The Easy Vocal Extraction Tool

Originally posted by Cutiejea
            Does it work for mac?
            Not natively. What I do is go into Audacity and convert the files to .wav (16-bit), and then I open them in Utagoe using the shared folders in VMware Fusion.

Also, I tried extracting the vocals of the No One's Lazy in LazyTown 2007 remix and I actually discovered some tracks you may not notice. Here's the file: https://mega.nz/#!4w5zQKyJ!haOf53MyA...1Eevq3nWRw5vUM

Comment

Originally posted by xXx_LI_xXx View Post
              Not natively. What I do is go into Audacity and convert the files to .wav (16-bit), and then I open them in Utagoe using the shared folders in VMware Fusion.
              That's what I do except I do it in VirtualBox.

Comment

woah no one's lazy in lazytown 2007 mix vocals great man ;)

Comment

pls help me... then i click the render button it's shows me this: Click image for larger version

Name:	654.PNG
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	150499 Who can help?

Comment

Originally posted by USSRStingy View Post
                    pls help me... then i click the render button it's shows me this: [ATTACH=CONFIG]9234[/ATTACH]
                    Are you sure that both files are WAV and have the same sample rates?

Comment

Nope... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickelhaube808 View Post
                        Are you sure that both files are WAV and have the same sample rates?
                        Yes. And also, my PC features is: Click image for larger version

Name:	pc_.PNG
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	150504

Comment

Originally posted by USSRStingy View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]9247[/ATTACH]
                          ...How is it an AMD system with a Xeon?

Comment

Working...
                          X