Thoughts on the British dub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts on the British dub?

It's very funny, especially Ziggy's voice.

Comment

While I do occasionally listen to the UK music videos for a laugh, I feel that making Julie Westwood the voice actor for Pixel was a bit unnecessary. Not only did she have to fake a stereotypical British accent, she also had to fake a MALE British accent. I have nothing against Julie as her voice acting for Bessie was great, but I feel they should have hired a different voice actor for the UK dub of Pixel.

As for the rest of the characters, my opinions are mixed. As stated before they make me laugh more when I watch their episodes than the US ones do, but when they're all talking at once I sometimes find it hard to distinguish between the dubbed characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Petey View Post
        Not only did she have to fake a stereotypical British accent
        Fun fact though, Julie Westwood didn't have to fake it - she is British! She even puppeteers Tula in The Hoobs.
        Though her Pixel voice is still atrocious. It's the worst voice in the British dub for sure - yet even then, it does seem to have some sort of odd charm to it.

I do enjoy the British dub more over the American dub overall - Ziggy and Stingy's voices are personal preferences of mine. The songs are a bit poor though, I must admit.

Comment

Atrocious?!
          You've betrayed our kind...

It is rather... unique, though.
          Poor British Pixel. His number one hit song Wake Up will never truly be loved :(

Comment

Originally posted by Nyasart View Post
            Atrocious?!
            You've betrayed our kind...

It is rather... unique, though.
            Poor British Pixel. His number one hit song Wake Up will never truly be loved :(
            No, I'd prefer if Julie re-dubbed her Bessie lines in the same voice instead. **** British Pixel

Comment

Originally posted by Bonzorio View Post
              Fun fact though, Julie Westwood didn't have to fake it - she is British!
              Oh, that's interesting! Guess I didn't do enough research then. I did know she voiced Tula in The Hoobs but didn't think too much of it when I wrote my post - silly me!

Comment

Originally posted by comiccominc View Post
                I'm british but i personally prefer the american dub, to be honest i think it's unnecessary cos it's still english and at the end of the day you still see american words everywhere like tv and movies
                I did a bit of searching and apparently a lot of US shows got UK dubs back in the day (probably even now, but I can't be bothered to search any more) because they didn't want British kids still learning how to speak to develop mixed accents or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonzorio View Post
                  Fun fact though, Julie Westwood didn't have to fake it - she is British! She even puppeteers Tula in The Hoobs.
                  Though her Pixel voice is still atrocious. It's the worst voice in the British dub for sure - yet even then, it does seem to have some sort of odd charm to it.

I do enjoy the British dub more over the American dub overall - Ziggy and Stingy's voices are personal preferences of mine. The songs are a bit poor though, I must admit.
                  Yes, I agree

Comment

I think it was very unnecessary. Was there an actual reason for it being made??

Comment

I agree it was unnecessary. original voices were the best!

Comment

bad

Comment

So bad it's good.

Comment

I'm not sure if dubbing British accents over American ones was the right thing to do. Not sure if it was wrong either.
                            Call me biased, but I grew up with this dub, and I prefer it. On first hearing American Ziggy, I felt he sounded weird. I've noticed that in Extra Ziggy has the catchphrase "Brilliant!"

Comment

Originally posted by Petey View Post
                              I did a bit of searching and apparently a lot of US shows got UK dubs back in the day (probably even now, but I can't be bothered to search any more) because they didn't want British kids still learning how to speak to develop mixed accents or something.

If you listen closely enough it sounds like Bessie's singing it... but I'm sure we all know why that is! ;)
                              Yes, they dubbed it so the children wouldn't develop any mixed accents. I mean, if an American said elevator, a British person would say lift.

Comment

The main problem with the so called "British " dub, is that all the voices are southern English, there are no Scottish, Welsh or Irish accents, new even any English regional accents.

However if you want to hear some really strange British accents, look for some old episodes of "The Flower Pot Men", on youtube.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I don't know why that put a picture of a flower instead of the word

Comment

Working...
                                X