This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chloe vs Julianna

For me, LazyTown has always been mostly about the music.
    I got introduced to the show because of the music, I started to like the show because of the music, and I found this forum because of the music.
    The music in LazyTown has always had a special place in my heart, so whenever I'm watching an episode, I'm always looking forward with excitement to when the music begins to play. Heck, I've even caught myself turning off the episode, right after the song ended.

Because of this, I've never actually been that much into any of the last two seasons. I've gone over this so many times on this forum, but I'll gladly say it again: Chloe can't compare with Julianna's singing. To be franc, she doesn't even come close to Julianna's league!
    But not only does her voice fall short of what we had been blessed with the previous seasons, her acting is also so damn horrendous.
    She is always giving 110%, and this becomes oh so borring and obnoxious in the long run. Furthermore, her acting is just so FAKE!

To me, she is the prime example of a typical American teen-pageant queen, which is the exact opposite of what JRM was, is, and will ever be.
    I'm as sneaky as can be. None's sneakier than me.

Chloe cant compare with Juliannas singing

Haven't seen much past the first season, so I can't offer a comparison, but JRM's acting and singing always left a bit to be desired. Especially in song, there just isn't much 'oomph' to the vocals, and when there is, it's usually at the tail end of a track.

I feel like it's almost an issue of direction rather than the fault of any actors. So many song feel flat until the VERY end. The end of "Galaxy", the end of "Cooking by the Book", the end of "Spooky Song", etc. Some tracks have stronger vocals throughout, like "Twenty Times Time", but too many fall into the "Step by Step" and "You are a Pirate" rut where the Stephanie vocals are almost a detriment. The only time it improved things was "Man on a Mission", but that's largely because she puts on a gravely voice to offset Bessie's guttural sound.

I totally agree about Lazy Town being synonymous with music. It's what drew me in as a kid, and the clipshow episode about everyone's 'favourite Lazy Town song' sold me on the wackiness and I fully embraced it.

Comment

Originally posted by Username View Post
      Haven't seen much past the first season, so I can't offer a comparison, but JRM's acting and singing always left a bit to be desired. Especially in song, there just isn't much 'oomph' to the vocals, and when there is, it's usually at the tail end of a track.

I feel like it's almost an issue of direction rather than the fault of any actors. So many song feel flat until the VERY end. The end of "Galaxy", the end of "Cooking by the Book", the end of "Spooky Song", etc. Some tracks have stronger vocals throughout, like "Twenty Times Time", but too many fall into the "Step by Step" and "You are a Pirate" rut where the Stephanie vocals are almost a detriment. The only time it improved things was "Man on a Mission", but that's largely because she puts on a gravely voice to offset Bessie's guttural sound.

I totally agree about Lazy Town being synonymous with music. It's what drew me in as a kid, and the clipshow episode about everyone's 'favourite Lazy Town song' sold me on the wackiness and I fully embraced it.
      I always appreciate a good dissenting opinion, but just know that saying things like that makes you lunch in a lion's den haha... or maybe a fox's den would be more accurate.

Comment

I tried to be palatable, makes for a mighty fine lunch.

Those strongly in her camp, take it as a compliment. To portray a kid character (and a character for kids) you need to aim for a certain mark and keep it consistent. Pubescent vocal growth would've made this consistency even more difficult to achieve. More importantly, grandiose vocals aren't really befitting an eight year old character, regardless of the actor's chops. For the genres they used, and the context of the show, it worked. But as standalone pieces, there leaves a bit to be desired.

*runs to find cover*

Comment

Originally posted by Stingy View Post
          ...or maybe a fox's den would be more accurate.
          Hahaha.
          While I strongly disagree with the statements made, I try to control myself this time, in the fear or scaring off any new members.. :icon_e_wink:

But as always; Opinions are like assholes - everybody got one!

- - - Updated - - -

then again, maybe not...

Originally posted by Username View Post
          For the genres they used, and the context of the show, it worked. But as standalone pieces, there leaves a bit to be desired.
          You just have to remember, that the kind of music/vocals you're describing, is actually the reason for many of us being here in the first place.
          Like, if I wanted to hear "grandiose" vocals, I would go and look up some Susanne Boyle.
          You wont find any other songs, made for children, that are still so extremely professional and well done, as the ones from LazyTown. And that is kinda what makes it unique.
          I'm as sneaky as can be. None's sneakier than me.

Comment

Tad bit bit of miscommunication here.

I'm not suggesting 'lacks grandiosity' as a criticism, I'm just drawing a contrast between what it's not and what it is. We both agree that Susan Boyle eqsue vocals aren't suited for Lazy Town, let alone from 8 year old Stephanie. Drafting my response I had in a line like "not everybody needs to sound like Adele", which is basically what you're saying here. Pointing out flaws doesn't mean I'm clamouring for perfection.

Now, one's musical taste is undoubtedly a preference, but the vocal cords are objectively a muscle mass (inb4 not literally a muscle mass) that can be objectively stronger or weaker. All I'm saying is, like any feat of strength, there are spots that beg for improvement. I can love a track, or every track, but if I'm to honestly judge it I can't hold up 10s every time.

The kids show thing is a bit of a fallacious argument (especially since I acknowledge this context, and didn't criticize the music as a whole), but let's grant that. A quality composition and/or arrangement can be held back by sub-par mixing or vocals. Would you not agree, divorced from Lazy Town, that a song can be 'ruined' by the singer?

Don't worry about frightening this one, I cut my teeth in far more volatile communities.

Originally posted by Fox View Post
            that the kind of music/vocals you're describing, is actually the reason for many of us being here in the first place.
            Myself included. Holding a preference for it doesn't make it perfect, though.

Comment

Personally, I would consider Chloe a better singer than Julianna because she hit higher notes, like in 'Friend for Life'.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOtter View Post
                Personally, I would consider Chloe a better singer than Julianna because she hit higher notes, like in 'Friend for Life'.
                Just because you hit higher notes doesn't mean you're a better singer. If you listen to every single Julianna and Chloe song, Julianna is the better singer, or at least more consistent. I actually think the reason for this is their ages when they filmed their episodes. Julianna started at about 12 and a half, and Chloe at about 10, and obviously Julianna's voice would've been more developed. Go listen to season 3 and 4 songs then compare to Lazytown Forever if you don't believe me.

P.S. Friend for life is my 3rd favourite LT song.
                P.P.S. Would be interesting to see Stephanie actually go into Robbie's lair and why.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutiejea
                  I think Julianna was really good only in Season 1. Season 2... it was a bit meh.
                  As her voice changed to a slightly lower pitch, it seemed to have flattened her singing vocals somewhat during season 2.

Also, I love how this thread first started with 'Did Steph visit the airship and the lair' to a 'WHO IS A BETTER SINGER/WHICH SEASON HAS BETTER COMPOSITION' bloodbath.
                  Heh, ikr.

Comment

Re: Chloe vs Julianna

Since that's the case... I think Chloe is a better singer.

I mean they're both equally good but if I'm forced to choose between the two... I prefer Chloe.

Acting wise, Julianna is deffo WAYYYY BETTER, but singing... Chloe.
                    JR's has the better timbre imao...her voice is warmer and emotionally believable...as for the higher pitch I want to remind everyone that you can do everything with autotunes nowadays...not to mention that Chloe's singing isn't that good when it comes to live perfomances...her voice sounds loud and shrill
                    Gallery

Comment

How many times does this thread name have to change?!? Omg!

First it started out as a 'did Steph visit the airship/lair'

Then it became 'Chloe cant compare with Juliannas singing'

Now it's Chloe vs Julianna?

---

Since that's the case... I think Chloe is a better singer.

I mean they're both equally good but if I'm forced to choose between the two... I prefer Chloe.

Acting wise, Julianna is deffo WAYYYY BETTER, but singing... Chloe.

---

There, I said it... FIGHT ME!
                      Can I just say this is my favorite comment in this thread so far. I am with ya on this. When it comes to acting JRM is better. But I like Chloe's voice better. I find myself listening to songs with Chloe a lot more then JRM. Not saying I don't like any JRM song's. But I like Chloe's better

Comment

Originally posted by megadjmatt25 View Post
                        Can I just say this is my favorite comment in this thread so far. I am with ya on this. When it comes to acting JRM is better. But I like Chloe's voice better. I find myself listening to songs with Chloe a lot more then JRM. Not saying I don't like any JRM song's. But I like Chloe's better
                        This sums up my view very well.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOtter View Post
                          This sums up my view very well.
                          Glad we can agree on this :)

Comment

Originally posted by megadjmatt25 View Post
                            A lot of JRM's songs sounded very (a little too) similar, especially in S1. Chloe got more variety. Btw, I wonder what JRM's singing voice sounds like now...

Comment

Originally posted by Shakeitpiggy View Post
                              A lot of JRM's songs sounded very (a little too) similar, especially in S1. Chloe got more variety. Btw, I wonder what JRM's singing voice sounds like now...
                              Yeah, I agree. It seemed to be Mani's 'style' at the time which led him to create the similar sounding songs.

Julianna's current singing voice probably sounds deeper, stronger, and more resonant.

Comment

Working...
                              X