Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Season 4 Songs!

Originally posted by Rotten Robot Hound View Post
    Totally. One interesting thing I noticed is that many people who are hardcore into memes have a strong disregard for "authority". They want to be rebellious and use the memes as their mode of expression. Probably there is a connection to the fact that memes are often used to make fun of political leaders. This is why people are FURIOUS that Behind The Meme exists – making more people aware of how the memes work and started kills the memes in their opinion, and ruins everyone's fun. When memes are brought into a wider consciousness or used by people who are in a position of authority, it's very often frowned upon, even if they follow the rules of the meme perfectly. People loved the fact that the LazyTown channel embraced the meme until they kept uploading WANO videos several months after its peak. Those videos received almost universally negative comments. The same thing applies to people trying to create a meme on purpose in an attempt to be "hip". Though, I have actually seen one exception. Some people randomly decided to start a meme on Tumblr and it actually worked, although its success was rather minor.

Btw, this reminds me of the time I analyzed memes for a university course I was taking a few years back (super interesting) and what I wrote was included in the archives of the Nordic Museum in Sweden. So to this day, there is a small essay about memes written by me that is preserved in the archives of a real museum for the interest of generations to come. I find that hilarious. I got an A on it too!

The text touches on, among other things, Vladimir Putin and Pepe the Frog.

Well said. I don't think Stefán or anyone else expected the donation page to be THAT successful. The thing about how this meme was used for the benefit of an actual ill human being was certainly one of the things that drew me to it, because I would never have thought anything like that was possible before. It wasn't even a world-famous actor, just a very funny and sympathetic children's entertainer who people had a fond relationship to after seeing him play the role for years. That gave me a good impression of LazyTown fans/memers and eventually it lead to me growing interested in the show and donating myself despite never really having watched LazyTown prior to 2016. Only You Are a Pirate in 2013. And here I am now … That was the power of that meme. It didn't only spread the word about Stefán's cancer to people who were nostalgic about having watched his performance as children, it even gave him some new fans who were also willing to support him financially.

I think this has contributed to the longevity of this particular meme for sure. People like feeling like they're doing a good deed and LazyTown memeing is a good deed if you link to the gofundme page in the video description, because it actually works!! Then it's also about how people genuinely love Stefán and because of that they don't only have an ironic appreciation towards We Are Number One like with other memes. For example, I like Bee Movie memes, but I'm not interested in the actual movie at all lol.
    Behind the meme. Yes, people are so furious that they doxed him. It's bizarre isn't it. Funny thing is, I wouldn't be on this site or aware of anything about Lazytown that isn't at a superficial level if it wasn't for that channel. It was his we are number one video that got me here in the first place.

About the official Lazytown channel, it's a terrible channel anyway. What about Grandayy though? People have ASKED him to never stop upload WANO memes! Probably because Grandayy actually understands the impact it has had.

And well done on getting published. Hilarious that you analysed memes for a uni course!! Hope to track it down someday and read it.

- - - Updated - - -

To say we derailed this thread is an understatement...

Comment

Originally posted by Shakeitpiggy View Post
      To say we derailed this thread is an understatement...
      Yeah yeah I know. But we're still technically talking a little bit about We Are Number One, aren't we? ;)

I might as well comment my own thoughts on the song too … I think it's addicting. I'm still not tired of it despite having heard it maybe 200 times by now, so that's gotta speak for something! Nice instrumentation and the "ba-ba-biddly-ba-ba-ba-ba, ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba, we are number one, HEY!" sounds great. Also, its arrangement is perfect. No complaints. Some songs are too long or too short, not this one. Another example of a well-arranged song that is not from season 4 is Cooking by the Book. I think it's brilliant that she sings "We gotta have it made, you know that I love cake, finally it's time to bake a cake" twice at the end instead of once! Some season 4 songs to me are subpar, others mediocre, others good, others great. The quality isn't exactly even. But We Are Number One is my personal favourite, easy.

Behind the meme. Yes, people are so furious that they doxed him. It's bizarre isn't it. Funny thing is, I wouldn't be on this site or aware of anything about Lazytown that isn't at a superficial level if it wasn't for that channel. It was his we are number one video that got me here in the first place.

About the official Lazytown channel, it's a terrible channel anyway. What about Grandayy though? People have ASKED him to never stop upload WANO memes! Probably because Grandayy actually understands the impact it has had.

And well done on getting published. Hilarious that you analysed memes for a uni course!! Hope to track it down someday and read it.
      Well then you'll always have him to thank for something at least!!! I've seen that video too, but that was when I already knew everything about the meme, I just wanted to hear how he would describe it. As you say, it's really curious that people get so worked up and I might even say possessive about memes. Still the channel wouldn't be up if people didn't keep requesting new videos, would it? Personally I almost never watch his videos, I prefer Know Your Meme because the information is more concise and you can look up links yourself if you want to. Behind the Meme probably gets all the hate since it's done in the form of YouTube videos and thus the information spreads more easily.

About grandayy, that's the point. Grandayy is just a memer who sort of made We Are Number One his thing, but the official LazyTown channel is the one that owns the property. People don't want THEM to meme too much (at least if they put little to no effort into it) because they're the equivalent of an authority in this context. The meme should belong to ordinary people who are not in positions of power, according to the popular view. I remember once the subway in my country used Doge for an advertising campaign and everyone was cringing so hard, saying: "Aww man, it's ruined now!"

The text I wrote about memes that's in the archives was quite short, but this thread makes me realize you could probably write an entire ESSAY on memes at university. That would be quite fun to do and was actually my original plan, but there were restraints to how deeply we were allowed to go with our analyses. Idk if you would be able to read it even if you found it since it's all in Swedish though. But I actually still have a screenshot of one of the pages that I took while I was writing it lol. Here.

Translation:

"This one refers to a different meme as well, which originates from Peter Jackson's 2001 film The Fellowship of the Ring. The original can be seen to the right, but there are many variations. However, all of them start with the phrase 'One does not simply'. The creator has used a picture of Putin in a somewhat similar pose and taken the opportunity to joke about his view on memes in a reference to the webpage memecenter.com."

Comment

All this reminds me of this video:

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah yeah I know. But we're still technically talking a little bit about We Are Number One, aren't we? ;)

I might as well comment my own thoughts on the song too … I think it's addicting. I'm still not tired of it despite having heard it maybe 200 times by now, so that's gotta speak for something! Nice instrumentation and the "ba-ba-biddly-ba-ba-ba-ba, ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba, we are number one, HEY!" sounds great. Also, its arrangement is perfect. No complaints. Some songs are too long or too short, not this one. Another example of a well-arranged song that is not from season 4 is Cooking by the Book. I think it's brilliant that she sings "We gotta have it made, you know that I love cake, finally it's time to bake a cake" twice at the end instead of once! Some season 4 songs to me are subpar, others mediocre, others good, others great. The quality isn't exactly even. But We Are Number One is my personal favourite, easy.

Well then you'll always have him to thank for something at least!!! I've seen that video too, but that was when I already knew everything about the meme, I just wanted to hear how he would describe it. As you say, it's really curious that people get so worked up and I might even say possessive about memes. Still the channel wouldn't be up if people didn't keep requesting new videos, would it? Personally I almost never watch his videos, I prefer Know Your Meme because the information is more concise and you can look up links yourself if you want to. Behind the Meme probably gets all the hate since it's done in the form of YouTube videos and thus the information spreads more easily.

About grandayy, that's the point. Grandayy is just a memer who sort of made We Are Number One his thing, but the official LazyTown channel is the one that owns the property. People don't want THEM to meme too much (at least if they put little to no effort into it) because they're the equivalent of an authority in this context. The meme should belong to ordinary people who are not in positions of power, according to the popular view. I remember once the subway in my country used Doge for an advertising campaign and everyone was cringing so hard, saying: "Aww man, it's ruined now!"

The text I wrote about memes that's in the archives was quite short, but this thread makes me realize you could probably write an entire ESSAY on memes at university. That would be quite fun to do and was actually my original plan, but there were restraints to how deeply we were allowed to go with our analyses. Idk if you would be able to read it even if you found it since it's all in Swedish though. But I actually still have a screenshot of one of the pages that I took while I was writing it lol. Here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7606[/ATTACH]

Translation:

"This one refers to a different meme as well, which originates from Peter Jackson's 2001 film The Fellowship of the Ring. The original can be seen to the right, but there are many variations. However, all of them start with the phrase 'One does not simply'. The creator has used a picture of Putin in a somewhat similar pose and taken the opportunity to joke about his view on memes in a reference to the webpage memecenter.com."
        Oh my... such cringe, much subway. wow.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 9.20.02 am.png
Views:	1
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	149913

There he goes again. Comment from this new video.

Comment

I'm just gonna post my totally accurate ranking of the Season 4 Songs

13, Havin' a great Time
            12.Sports Candy
            11.Time to Learn
            10.Hey We Play
            9.Friend for Life
            8.Friends
            7.One More Time
            6.Dancing on the Moon
            5.Ghost Stoppers
            4.Princess for Eternity
            3,Life Will be so Wonderful
            2.We Are Number One
            1.Go Explore

Comment

All this reminds me of this video:

Obviously a parody, but still a bit jarring … Comparing himself to Einstein, and the dancing, oml

In all seriousness, memes are actually a form of modern folklore, so that's one of the subjects where you get to study them. Creepypasta is also a form of folklore.

Oh my... such cringe, much subway. wow.
              Found it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sldoge_21.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	536.2 KB
ID:	149914

Maybe we should get back to season 4 songs soon though x) But lol at grandayy's comment …

Comment

Maybe we should get back to season 4 songs soon though x) But lol at grandayy's comment …
                Yeah, this thread reads a bit like a fever dream!
                Getur einhver annar verið Glanni ? það bara passar ekki
                Stefan Karl Stefansson, það er enginn eins og þú!

Comment

Originally posted by Glanni's Girl View Post
                  Yeah, this thread reads a bit like a fever dream!
                  Ouch! True though …

Hmm, original topic … :sweatdrop: I've really gotten into the song One More Time lately, despite disliking it the first time I heard it. Now I might actually place it in my top 5 LazyTown songs all-around!! I love the "this IS the time, one more time" part and the instrumental bit especially. But I withhold final judgement until later because the season 4 songs are the ones I've listened to the least, and I want to take some time for the songs to really sink in before I decide exactly how they compare to the others.

I know I also like Time to Learn/We Love School and Hey We Play though. The part where Robbie shifts to his normal voice in the middle of the sentence is awesome. "The outcome will be absolutely craaazy, EVERYONE WILL FINALLY BE LAZY, HAHA!" I always thought he sounded like Dan Can (idk what the Icelandic name is) from GGIL when he's dressed up as the wizard. Cool to see how big his vocal range is.

Comment

Most of the S4 songs had to grow on me because i didn't get to hear most of them until late 2016. Hearing Go Explore in some meme video made me wanna listen to the rest and here we are.

Comment

'Sports Candy' sounded like it could've been a good (or at least okay) song based on the verses (just listen to it with headphones), but it was ruined by having the whole 'Scotland the Brave' part in the choruses.

Conversely, 'Hey We Play' had horrific verses but a pretty awesome and catchy 'sing-a-long' chorus. Maybe someone could stitch them together to make a good song.

Likewise, 'Life Will Be So Wonderful' had stronger choruses than verses, but I didn't particularly like it.

'Having a Great Time' wasn't terrible, but sounded like it probably needed more work and wasn't really that catchy.

I thoroughly enjoyed all of the other songs, especially 'Dancing on the Moon', 'Friend For Life', and 'Ghost Stoppers'.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutiejea
                        but if the lyrics can be changed, it's possible to modernise the song with the same backing track.
                        What do you mean by 'modernising' the song?

Comment

So the lyrics for Friends for Life is literally a song about pets right?

What if we change the song to make it to a more generic teen-pop song... tada... modernising. (at least for me lol).

Kinda inspired after hearing that Mani interview that he wants to modernise We Will Be Friends with Lily Allen
                          I assumed that Mani meant that he wanted someone to record it professionally with the same lyrics. But yeah, I get what you mean.

Well, here's an almost instrumental:

Have you done composing/lyric writing much? This could turn into a big GetLazy parody project or whatever.

Comment

So the lyrics for Friends for Life is literally a song about pets right?

What if we change the song to make it to a more generic teen-pop song... tada... modernising. (at least for me lol).

Kinda inspired after hearing that Mani interview that he wants to modernise We Will Be Friends with Lily Allen
                            Mani was talking about 'Life can be a surprise', not 'we will be friends', IIRC.

Comment

It started as a lowkey private project that I've been delaying for a while (a while meaning 8 months). I wrote my own songs in the past but I want to do this song justice by retaining some similar themes/lines but also changing them up a bit.

Here is a sample of what I got so far

We’ll go get something to eat

And live our life peacefully and sweet

If we’re going out for a walk

We’ve gotta to hold on tight

Looking back, I guess the reason why I stopped cuz it felt more like I was gonna 'Kids Bop-ify' the song rather than to 'modernise' the song.
                              I see what you mean about the whole 'kids bop-ify' thing.

I've never written a song before, but I've heard that the most important part is a catchy, sing-a-long chorus.

But first, we need a topic.

Comment

May as well give my thoughts on all S4 songs:

Friends: Trixie does a really good job here especially with the piano at the start. Song has a nice feel to it too. Pixels rap though may be the best part.
                                Interesting. I've actually heard a lot of people consider Friends among the best in the whole show (or at least of Chloe's.) It is interesting to hear such a Trixie heavy song, and it's pretty decent overall. However, I can't stand Pixel's voice replacement in the later seasons. Maybe it's just because the previous Pixel heavy songs were all fantastic and set a really high standard, but god. At least they were able to get Jodi back.

Overall, the songs in S4 are too consistently great to pick a favorite. That said, regarding my username, I can't act like Friend for Life doesn't hold a particularly high place in my heart.

Comment

Working...
                                X