Why Does the U.S. hate LazyTown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Does the U.S. hate LazyTown?

Id like to start a discussion about why the U.S. has always treated the LT property so poorly. The series started out well on Nickeolodeon via Viacom. It aired daily, had merchandise and was gaining steam....then.....it all went south. Nick rarely aired season two, if they did it was always at irregular times or not at all (how many eps did they not even bother to show?) Merchandise of which there honestly wasn't much, only could be found in K-Mart and smaller chains. While Walmart had dvds, I don't believe anything else came there. Little to no advertising of the show ever happened in magazines stateside or any mainstream exposure.

Magnus even mentioned in an interview once how things were not working out with Viacom or something to that effect....so my question is, WTH happened!? Nickjr promoted the hell out of their other series. The strange nature of LT wasn't marketable? Restrictions on merch? (I know magnus was particular about what food, drinks, and toys could have LT branded on them). Was the risque memes a concern? (The staff had admitted being aware of them and season two sure seemed to change Stephanies outfit a lot).

Then Turner made two seasons, aired them.....then....nothing. A very expensive property they are deciding to just sit on? Surely the U.S. market must have SOME potential to them besides a quick airing of the episodes, a Youtube channel. Does the international market truly bring them enough profit for the property?

I'm just baffled by it all. We never even saw a Blu-ray release. This is one of the most High Quality children shows ever produced...and, Nothing!? Is it even on Netflix anymore?

Thoughts?

Re: Why Does the U.S. hate Lazytown?

Yeah. LazyTown isn't really popular here in the U.S. But if the series restarts again, I think it will gain popularity due to the memes.

Comment

I'd like to come up with excuses about the cultural differences and yadda yadda, but it's probably as simple as the show not being good enough to adequately complete in the US children's television market.

Comment

LazyTown = made in Iceland.

No network in any country will be happy to pay to import content when they can make their own.
        Getur einhver annar verið Glanni ? það bara passar ekki
        Stefan Karl Stefansson, það er enginn eins og þú!

Comment

Nick preferred Dora the Explorer. The Sprout ratings weren't great.

Comment

Eh? I haven't seen any evidence towards this. I'm in the USA and many people I've talked to on reddit and through LT videos said they enjoyed it as kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Glanni Glæpur View Post
              Eh? I haven't seen any evidence towards this. I'm in the USA and many people I've talked to on reddit and through LT videos said they enjoyed it as kids.
              It gained more populatriey after it ended, it seems. During it's run it never really took off in the USA.

Comment

Well I certainly liked it here in the UK, as did the Beeb. They aired both Series 1 and 2 in "primetime" morning and LT Extra during "primetime" afternoon on BBC 2, CBeebies and BBC HD!

Comment

american (((media))) hates competition from the goy... and lazytown was a positive show ,, the (((media))) has an agenda promoting certain degenerate lifestyles and propagating certain types of people to normalcy which lazytown did not promote.. the few toys or licensed products we got here go for alot of money trust me..even with the little that the show was promoted it got alot of demand...

Comment

I forgot to mention that the Beeb aired LT and LT Extra until circa 2012.

Comment

I think THE USA hates LT because they think it will decrease sales in junk food, and all that stuff.
                      MY ACTION MOVIE REVIEW BLOG | MY SPORTACUS FAN-SITE

Comment

Working...
                      X