There’s now a petition to build a Robbie Rotten statue in Iceland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There’s now a petition to build a Robbie Rotten statue in Iceland

Stefan Karl Stefánsson, the actor behind legendary kids’ show villain (and meme) Robbie Rotten, is currently dealing with stage 4 pancreatic cancer and may not have much longer to live. Heartbroken fans, especially those on Reddit, where Stefan Karl’s LazyTown baddie is especially beloved, have raised thousands of dollars for his family and his medical bills. Now, they’re working to immortalize him with a statue in his hometown of Hafnarfjörður, Iceland.

A Change.org petition, started by redditor and longtime LazyTown fan Adem A., pleads “Please help get this man something as simple as a statue in his hometown to honour him. Please help this go down in history.” (“Going down in history” is, of course, a reference to Robbie Rotten’s signature song “We Are Number One.”)

More than 65,000 fans and counting have answered the call, asking Iceland’s president and prime minister to memorialize Stefan Karl in statue form. The petition also reached the front page of Reddit.

It could happen! He’s one of Iceland’s most famous actors, and has even been called “the Icelandic Jim Carrey”—which makes sense, because he and Carrey have both played Dr. Seuss’s Grinch (Carrey on screen, Stefan Karl in the touring stage production).

It’s not clear what the proposed statue would look like—would it be Stefan Karl as villain #1 Robbie Rotten, or as himself?—who would design it, where it would be placed, or how much it would cost, but the fans’ hearts are in the right place. And they’re also still donating to his GoFundMe page for medical expenses, which has raised more than $150,000.

Meanwhile, Stefan Karl has been released from the hospital for the time being and celebrated his 42nd birthday by taking a helicopter ride with his family in Iceland, according to his Facebook page.
    https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/rob...atue-petition/

Re: There’s now a petition to build a Robbie Rotten statue in Iceland

It would be great to honour him with a statue, he deserves that.

The setup of the story is a bit small minded though, but than again it's only The Dailydot...

..longtime LazyTown fan Adem A.
    Who's that ? his name sounds turkish
    Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

Signed. It would be really nice to see him honored.

Comment

I signed. This man deserves it

Comment

Signed.
          I would 100% start saving for a trip to Iceland if they build it...as long as it didn't look like that Footballers terrible statue
          Getur einhver annar verið Glanni ? það bara passar ekki
          Stefan Karl Stefansson, það er enginn eins og þú!

Comment

i signed because Robbie was my favorite LazyTown character as a kid

Comment

Signed without any hesitation!

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoGuy View Post
                Signed without any hesitation!
                As it should be GizmoGuy

Comment

signed

Comment

We should get Magnus to build it as with is strength and energy, he could probably finish it in a day.

Comment

Working...
                    X