Cultural references

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cultural references

This thread is for listing all cultural references made in Lazytown episodes-what makes Lazytown appeal to older people. Thought this would be interesting to see, as I mostly seem to be made aware of these only after reading episode reviews here on get lazy and on youtube comments. (eg. The Greatest Gift (subtle reference to Taxi Driver when Ziggy is talking to himself) and The First Day of Summer (reference to Castaway with the volleyballs and faces) and of course the not so subtle Mission Impossible and James Bond references). Post any I have missed!

Re: Cultural references

Coins! From all over the World! Including Iceland :icon_e_wink:
    Getur einhver annar verið Glanni ? það bara passar ekki
    Stefan Karl Stefansson, það er enginn eins og þú!

Comment

Does the cup with the map of Texas on it counts?

Comment

Originally posted by LihiPorat1 View Post
        Does the cup with the map of Texas on it counts?
        As a visual yes I guess so. There is an interesting story about that scene and deleted dialogue that the US government did not approve of.

- - - Updated - - -

Found this one on episode discussions: In Sportafake, after his lament on how the kids used to listen to him, Robbie turns the volume up to 11 on the speaker (This is Spinal Tap reference).

Comment

I mean... they're all over the place haha.

Comment

Robbie jumping on the couch in Pixel TV like tom Cruise on Oprah.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Shakeitpiggy View Post
            Robbie jumping on the couch in Pixel TV like tom Cruise on Oprah.
            And the King Kong reference in the same episode. Impressive.

Comment

Isn't Robbie's voice and mannerisms a reference to Jim Carrey's performance as the Grinch?

Comment

Lazy Rockets? Greased Lightning? Don't know if it counts that or not.

Comment

Originally posted by RecipeForStephanie View Post
                  Lazy Rockets? Greased Lightning? Don't know if it counts that or not.
                  yeah it is, but was thinking more of references not in song, nor as an overarching theme.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 12.32.03 am.png
Views:	1
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	149951

Don't ever remember seeing Sharkboy and Lavagirl. Can anyone confirm?

Comment

Me neither.
                      It seems to be about a pink girl and a blue boy
                      Getur einhver annar verið Glanni ? það bara passar ekki
                      Stefan Karl Stefansson, það er enginn eins og þú!

Comment

Originally posted by RobHomeboy94 View Post
                        Isn't Robbie's voice and mannerisms a reference to Jim Carrey's performance as the Grinch?
                        No, it's Wile E. Coyote from what I've heard.

Actually funny story, I've never been very familiar with Looney Tunes so when I first saw Stefán list him as an inspiration for Robbie I had no idea what he was referring to, but earlier this year I was on a long plane trip where they were showing cartoons on the TV screen, including one with Wile E. Coyote. I instantly thought he reminded me of Robbie Rotten, they even look a bit similar lol. But I thought I was just seeing things because I was so deep into my LazyTown obsession. Then when I found out what the character was called I was like OOH NOW IT ALL MAKES SENSE, SO IT WASN'T JUST ME!!!

Don't ever remember seeing Sharkboy and Lavagirl.
                        I haven't either, so no comment. I know it's a pretty old 3D movie for kids in the style of Spy Kids though.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7651[/ATTACH]

I watched it a million times when I was like 3-7, so yeah. This seems to be a reference, or merely a coincidence

Comment

Originally posted by ItsBeboy View Post
                            I watched it a million times when I was like 3-7, so yeah. This seems to be a reference, or merely a coincidence
                            Only watched a few hundred times. Sharkboy & Lavagirl was in production when LazyTown first began airing. We talked about this movie when Disney/Jetix was airing it summers of 2007-2010. It's possible both the show and movie have influenced each other. LazyTown used close-ups of Steph's face and S&L followed suit with closeups of Lavagirl's face. Then the moon episode of LazyTown referenced S&L's special effects on their approach to Planet Drool.

Comment

There's a very timely Matrix reference in Dr Rottenstein

Comment

Working...
                              X