Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone studying Icelandic?

Sæl!

So I’ve been learning Icelandic over the past year, just in time I can find, and it wasn't the only reason but enjoying LazyTown including the original plays definitely contributed to my interest. Having access to child-level study material that I enjoyed watching really, really helped in the early stages especially given this isn't a language for which a lot of traditional study resources are available (alltaf einhverja leið!).

It'd also be cool to network with native Icelandic speaking fans! Best er að hafa það saman! =D

Re: Anyone studying Icelandic?

Cool, what material do you use?

Comment

I know a little bit of it and with the thanks of Google Translate, but I'm only 13, and learning it would be hard...

Comment

Originally posted by PKMNMasterClara View Post
        I know a little bit of it and with the thanks of Google Translate, but I'm only 13, and learning it would be hard...
        If my memory serves me correctly, Julianna started learning Icelandic around that age and subsequently mastered it :)
        Getur einhver annar verið Glanni ? það bara passar ekki
        Stefan Karl Stefansson, það er enginn eins og þú!

Comment

Really? Cool! When has she spoken in Icelandic?

Comment

I don't think she wasn't over in Iceland long enough to pick up the language. She returned to NY yearly. Everyone she worked with spoke english.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey2001 View Post
              I don't think she wasn't over in Iceland long enough to pick up the language. She returned to NY yearly. Everyone she worked with spoke english.
              She learned Icelandic from the LazyTown make up artist.
              Getur einhver annar verið Glanni ? það bara passar ekki
              Stefan Karl Stefansson, það er enginn eins og þú!

Comment

Originally posted by Stingy View Post
                Cool, what material do you use?
                Whatever I can find, and hopefully it's something I enjoy for its own sake. Online newspapers and magazines, online videos, songs, movie subtitles, wikipedia, books, blogs. There's a proper Icelandic course available online for free called "Icelandic Online" which helped me get started, and there's also a set of videos designed for learners called "Viltu læra íslensku".

There are some video lessons for starting vocabulary here: https://www.youtube.com/user/CoolIcelandicLesson/videos

Good dictionaries:
                Wiktionary (Often bilingual, only contains some words but great for the ones it contains)
                http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/Ice...arch.TEId.html (Bilingual)
                https://glosbe.com/en/is/ (Bilingual)
                http://malid.is/ (Sometimes bilingual)

And this tool can be used to find the declensions of nouns, verbs and adjectives: http://bin.arnastofnun.is/forsida/

Descriptions of Icelandic grammar are sporadic but out there.

Comment

I'm starting to learn Icelandic by watching things with Icelandic subtitles and, of coarse, Google Translate. And I've heard if you start studying a language the easter it is to remember. But the trick is to use it on a regular basis because, if you're like me and don't use it on a day by day basis, you'll start for forget. X-D With that said I highly encourage anyone to learn a different language even if its just the basics.

Comment

Anyone studying Icelandic?

I speak enough so when I go there next Wednesday on my way to the States, I'm gonna try it out!

Comment

I'm learning!

Comment

Originally posted by LAJMS123 View Post
                        I speak enough so when I go there next Wednesday on my way to the States, I'm gonna try it out!
                        Awesome, why and how did you learn it? Have fun in Iceland (and the States)!

Originally posted by puppylover416 View Post
                        I'm learning!
                        Yay, so many of us already. Anything you can share about your motivation and resources you've been able to find? ^^

Comment

Originally posted by bleikt hár View Post

Yay, so many of us already. Anything you can share about your motivation and resources you've been able to find? ^^
                          My inspiration was the plays :)

Comment

I've picked some up from watching and translating the LazyTown plays, and from going to Iceland twice, but it's not a easy language for me both on a physical level and a linguistic level.

Some of the mouth movement are difficult such as rolling your r's, and some of the transitioning between sounds can be tough. Take the word "skólavörðustígur" as an example. I'm okay with the "skóla" part and the "stígur" part, but the "vörðu" can be a challenge. I really have to try to make that sound right. It can also be tough to get the emphasis correct, because all Icelandic words emphasize the first syllable. So for example, the word "vandræðum" I really want to pronounce as van-DRY-thum, but it's VAN-dry-thum.

And the conjugation is a total shitshow lol. English is really easy in that sense. But Icelandic... what the actual ****.

It's something that would be useful for me to formally learn, but being such a small language, it can be difficult to find good options for serious learning.

Comment

i've learned some words but the grammar is still confusing for me

Comment

Working...
                              X