The Coloring of LazyTown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Coloring of LazyTown

The extent to which color-correction is used on the episodes is important, especially when determining what video we have is "the best". The common opinion is that the VMD files hold that title and I can understand why. They're extremely vivid and possess superior sharpness at numerous points. However, one can not overlook the fact that increasing brightness is capable of destroying detail. Look here, we see an obvious example. I direct your attention to the lamp which in the VMD version you can only see bright yellow light in the light fixture. But in the normal colored version we can see the outline of a light bulb beneath plastic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	compare3.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	153133 Click image for larger version

Name:	compare4.png
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	153134

Re: The Coloring of LazyTown

icelandic s4 and itunes different too

Name:	rotte2.png
Size:	3.40 MB
ID:	149661Click image for larger version

Name:	rottee.png
Size:	3.90 MB
ID:	149662
    and some full episodes videos in official lazytown channel e.g this

Comment

Here's a great one. While the VMD loses the stripes on Stingy's shirt, its high bitrate prevents stair stepping on the bench. And while some detail is lost on characters' hair, color vibrancy enhances the overall atmosphere of this shot. So it's gonna be which one you like better, because there is no cut & dry winner.

Name:	lazygang1.png
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	149684 Click image for larger version

Name:	lazygang2.png
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	149685

Comment

I think I prefer the ones with less enhancement.

Comment

It's all about contrast I think. More contrast means less detail and too low mean less bright colors. You need to find an optimum point between them. Obviously the VMD one has too much contrast.
          Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by UnLearnEd View Post
            So it's gonna be which one you like better, because there is no cut & dry winner.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7064[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]7065[/ATTACH]
            I like the brightest one

Comment

interesting but this discussion is obsolete since the most of consumers are watching stuff on their mobile devices with teeny weeny screens
              Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz View Post
                interesting but this discussion is obsolete since the most of consumers are watching stuff on their mobile devices with teeny weeny screens
                Although you're right, most people are on their mobile/tablet watching vids, but if you count Computer and TV/game console as one it's still close to one third of the audience. Also what's important is that they spend more time watching the videos, so this discussion is more relevant than you think.

Name:	deviceYT-Q1.jpg
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	149688
                Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyPooky View Post
                  most people are on their mobile/tablet watching vids
                  That's sad to hear. It actually not easy to relax watching video on mobile/tablet. There are other apps running and you gotta hold the thing. It's stressful. I'd much rather watch television on a couch or bed. Don't know if approaching Luddite belief, but the more advanced tech seems to have a worse overall viewing experience. While able to appreciate the higher video quality on my PC and acknowledge real advances where they occur, the theater/home theater experience is superior and essentially unchanged. The VR stuff looks promising, but I think the content has to be specifically filmed for VR, so most stuff won't be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Stingy View Post
                    I think I prefer the ones with less enhancement.
                    QFT

Comment

Working...
                    X