A general dislike for season 3 and 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A general dislike for season 3 and 4?

It seems to me that season 3 and 4 are not as appreciated as 1 and 2. I usually read things like "The new Stephanie is nowhere as good", "the songs are bad", "it doesn't feel inspired anymore", etc. Are season 3 and 4 actually disliked by a majority of people? I find them quite good, they had a bunch of great songs and funny episodes (The greatest gift, The lazy genie, that volleyball episode where Robbie sings the Bing Bang song, Robbie's Dream Team, etc.). I agree that Chloe is not a sweet little thing as much as Juliana was, but she doesn't kill the show for me.

Re: A general dislike for season 3 and 4?

the miscast has ruined everything....so I completely ignore s3 & s4 except for the songs
    Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Sportscandy View Post
      It seems to me that season 3 and 4 are not as appreciated as 1 and 2. I usually read things like "The new Stephanie is nowhere as good", "the songs are bad", "it doesn't feel inspired anymore", etc. Are season 3 and 4 actually disliked by a majority of people? I find them quite good, they had a bunch of great songs and funny episodes (The greatest gift, The lazy genie, that volleyball episode where Robbie sings the Bing Bang song, Robbie's Dream Team, etc.). I agree that Chloe is not a sweet little thing as much as Juliana was, but she doesn't kill the show for me.
      I actually agree with you, I found them to be quite enjoyable. Chloe replacing Julianna didn't bother me that much either (also, this is coming from someone who grew up with JRM) only because I think she was too old for the role, and the show probably would've been uncomfortable to watch.

The only thing that bothered me about the latter seasons was the misplacement of Trixie's voice actress/puppeteer.. I mean, she's not terrible, but Sarah Burgess was much, much better IMO.

Also, season 3 & 4 had better Milford and Bessie moments.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mKFqecZ.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	149655

Comment

I don't like season 3 and 4 because Julianna is the ONLY Stephanie for TV... The songs LACK luster... Most of the episodes were just repeated stuff from season 1 and 2 only with less class... I'm a Robbie Rotten fan but it seems to me that season 3 and 4 he's putting on weight and can't move around as well as he use to, that was before he was sick so there's no excuse... and what happened to Trixie's voice? It's like swapping out the voice of Barney Rubble from the Flintstones

I just plain stopped watching after Lazytown season 2

Comment

The Lazy Genie is a season 2 episode though. But i just don't like season 3-4,it feels weird for me

Comment

Those two seasons had some missteps, no doubt. Between the muddying of Stephanie's character, the in-song breaks in season 3, the reliance on one-off characters, and more, there is something to be desired. The seasons, I really do think, lost their way. The show began to equate bigger with better, and started to introduce more characters, more elaborate sets, and larger-than-life stories, which are all unnecessary. This is easily contrasted by any season 1 episode, when LazyTown was more of a simple show. It wasn't about going to the moon or a pyramid or back in time; it was about some silly characters in a silly town interacting with eachother. You can even see this degeneration begin in season 2. So in that sense, I really do believe that the latter episodes are generally worse than the earlier ones.

All that said, at the end of the day, it's still LazyTown and it's still enjoyable. I understand that there are JRM sycophants out there who shun seasons 3 and 4 because she's not in it, but I think that it's selling the episodes short. If you're a fan of LazyTown, I think you'll still enjoy them.

Comment

To capture lightning in a bottle and then maintain it over extended production breaks is a herculean task. I was pleasantly surprised that when the show started up again, it looked and sounded the same. The Robbie parts continued to be good, most of the songs too. Friend For Life is an all time fav now and the episode Who's Who? is somehow memorable. We already knew the tv concept is brilliant, yet in seasons 3 & 4 we learn what it looks like absent Julianna. Turns out all the dollars in the world could not resuscitate a LazyTown body that had been seperated from its heart. The lightning that was that simple Nickjr show had returned to the big airship in the sky. Now it rests in peace among the bubbly, pink-haired angels right up until that time you decide to watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                Most of the episodes were just repeated stuff from season 1 and 2 only with less class...
                Video and comment related:

The switch that LTE made after season 1 & 2, was the switch that never needed to happen.
                It kinda still had that Icelandic sparkle when the first seasons aired, but unfortunately it just had to be Americanized.
                Now, the precious "New Girl in Town" is giving out instructions to viewers, stating how independent of a woman she is.

The music also changed.
                S1 songs are all huge classics, and S2 doesn't fall short to compare.
                You can tell the "singing-segment" became a bit of a habit when they reached S3.
                Whereas they, in series one, had songs enough to spare from the stage plays, they now had to burst out a new "LazyTown-seal-of-approval" each and every week.
                They simply just couldn't sit and thinker with it for long enough of a time...

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                I just plain stopped watching after Lazytown season 2
                Still no love for LazyTown Extra...
                I'm as sneaky as can be. None's sneakier than me.

Comment

For the most part, I do feel like the backlash just comes from the actress change. It's different so it sucks isn't a trope for no reason, you know. I suppose it was just a tad lesser, mostly due to too much rehashing sometimes (among other minor things cough mid song breakdowns cough), but i think it was still at least decent and there were some really solid episodes and ongs mixed in. Besides the earlier stuff wasn't perfect either. Besides reviving a series after being dormnat for years is always hard, cut them at least a little bit of slack.

Comment

Originally posted by Fox View Post

The switch that LTE made after season 1 & 2, was the switch that never needed to happen.
                    It kinda still had that Icelandic sparkle when the first seasons aired, but unfortunately it just had to be Americanized.
                    Now, the precious "New Girl in Town" is giving out instructions to viewers, stating how independent of a woman she is.

The music also changed.
                    S1 songs are all huge classics, and S2 doesn't fall short to compare.
                    You can tell the "singing-segment" became a bit of a habit when they reached S3.
                    Whereas they, in series one, had songs enough to spare from the stage plays, they now had to burst out a new "LazyTown-seal-of-approval" each and every week.
                    They simply just couldn't sit and thinker with it for long enough of a time...

Still no love for LazyTown Extra...
                    I won't lie Fox. I was kinda expecting one giant rant from you on how Julianna was better then Chloe since you are a big Julianna fan But this was a nice change of pace.

Comment

There isn't much debate that season 1 Steph portrayed by JRM is really just the best there has been and maybe ever will be. But when JRM carried over her role to Season 2/LTExtra, it's clear that something is different. This is purely conjecture, but I feel like in season 1, she was genuinely happy and exited to be there and to portray Stephanie, and that shows in how she acts as Stephanie. But I think that after that, something was lost. I'm not sure if she felt awkward being Stephanie as a teenager, or maybe the magic was lost on her after being churned through the internet machine, or just became otherwise disinterested, but to me it's clear that her performance in season 1 vs. her performance onward are very different.

So, I actually have probably what will be an unpopular opinion. I think that Chloe's performances are actually better than season 2+ JRM. Chloe still has the sparkle and magic that was lost for JRM, and that certain sparkle is important for the character to have.

Again, I really think that the people who choose to not to watch the latter seasons specifically because of Chloe are both not giving her enough credit, as well as not giving the show itself enough credit. I totally understand the charm of S1 Steph, so I'm right there with all of you in wishing that that could have been kept forever, but LazyTown has a lot more to offer than that. I think that to disregard the rest that it has to offer just because JRM isn't in there is a little cynical.

Comment

Originally posted by Stingy View Post
                        This is purely conjecture...
                        I think it is known: https://soundcloud.com/user-130211083/47a

Comment

I actually really like Lazytown Season 3 and 4. I get that lot's of people are critical of them, but I thought they did a good job of capturing the charm of the originals.
                          Originally posted by Stingy View Post
                          This is easily contrasted by any season 1 episode, when LazyTown was more of a simple show. It wasn't about going to the moon or a pyramid or back in time; it was about some silly characters in a silly town interacting with eachother. You can even see this degeneration begin in season 2..
                          Most of the episodes in S3 and 4 are still about silly characters in a silly town interacting with each other though.

Sure there are some over-the-top time-travel and moon plots, but there are also plots about them starting up mini-museums or going to medieval festivals, or having a "secret-friend day" or inviting the town over for Ziggy's birthday party.

Sure the big over-the-top ones stand out, but it is still mostly about silly characters in a silly town.
                          Originally posted by Fox View Post
                          I think that your overthinking the instructions part tbh.

I reckon the writers probably just figured, it was a show with lots of singing and dancing, so why not get the audience involved a bit more. Since Stephanie's the dancing character, and generally looked up to by the kids watching, she's the perfect candidate to give the instructions. Sure the reception to it wasn't too great, but no harm in trying new things.

Comment

Originally posted by UnLearnEd View Post
                            I guess I knew is subconsciously :p

Comment

Originally posted by megadjmatt25 View Post
                              I won't lie Fox. I was kinda expecting one giant rant from you on how Julianna was better then Chloe since you are a big Julianna fan But this was a nice change of pace.
                              This is gonna make you sad then..
                              I already had typed out "the rant", calling Chloe out for things she isn't to blame for, and things I only say because of the fact that she isn't Julianna.
                              But hey, Chloe got hired for a job, and as an actor it's very important to put a tiny bit of your own identity in the roles you're playing.

I generally dislike anything post S2 very much, but it's not only because of one factor; Chloe for example.
                              It's loads of different factors, all making their play in things, ruining the show together.

I remember reading a post on here, from way back in 2007.
                              It was about LazyTown getting a contract for 4 seasons, and a user typed this:
                              "I'm very happy about that, because that means we get to see a 21 year old Julianna in the role of Stephanie".
                              I'm gonna be honest here and say that that was a bit of a wishful thinking..
                              When taking into consideration that JRM, already in S2, had some complaints about portraying this character, LTE did the correct thing.
                              We can always debate how fitting the new portayer was, compared to earlier seasons, but I like to think that both the viewers and soziety changed as well.
                              Maybe Chloe was the perfect substitute for Stephanie, because of her obvious appeal to the American audience.

All I know for sure, is that I will always, and I mean always, prefer the original Stephanie.
                              She made the show that I like to say I'm a fan of, and she certainly sparkled a fandom for many of the members on here.

Fun fact:
                              Click this link and see where it takes you. Now look at the picture for the character in question.
                              Notice anything?
                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloe_Lang

Originally posted by Pixel's Computer View Post
                              I think that your overthinking the instructions part tbh.
                              Of course I'm overthinking it, and I'm also heavily over dramatizing things.
                              But exaggeration promotes understanding..

Originally posted by Pixel's Computer View Post
                              I reckon the writers probably just figured, it was a show with lots of singing and dancing, so why not get the audience involved a bit more. Since Stephanie's the dancing character, and generally looked up to by the kids watching, she's the perfect candidate to give the instructions.
                              And this is where the chain falls off the bike.
                              I get that the show was made for children, and I totally respect that.
                              That's why I'm happily sitting through 25 minutes of predictable plots, with "not-so-subtle" messages all over.
                              But when this clear "children-appeal" starts invading my songs, that's where it snaps.

I get that the show is kids, and it's not made to appeal to adults - but it always has.
                              Something about the show just changed heavily in the later seasons, which made it, at least to me, unbearable to watch.

Oh, and welcome to btw!
                              You seem like a genuine kewl member to have on board, and I can't wait reading more of your posts! :)
                              I'm as sneaky as can be. None's sneakier than me.

Comment

Working...
                              X