Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emotional or Logical? What drives the character to act?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emotional or Logical? What drives the character to act?

To predict how someone will act, it helps to know what drives them more: emotion or logic. Since the LazyTown characters are true to life in many ways, this idea could be fun to explore:

For example, Ziggy strikes me as the purest form of an emotional type. The clearest scene I can think of is when he throws his lollipop into a tree. He doesn't think things through and suffers the consequences.

Or Pixel is rather logical (or technological) but has tunnel vision w/ his designs. This way of working blinds him from seeing how his tech will affect people or be exploited by them.

Re: Emotional or Logical?

Stephanie-

On the surface she appears logical, especially when dealing with the other kids. I think this is almost a prerequisite for the lead of any show aimed at preschoolers. A quality regularly imputed to her is pragmatism. She's quite often the first to deduce a problem, but her sense of trouble is mixed up with feelings. Her insecurity and desire not to upset the other kids does temper the logical parts. Luckily, she does seek advice from father figures (Sportacus/Uncle) and this is instructive about what to do in hard times. Spirit and energy are vital to Steph's character, but also hard to pin down. When we take a look from afar, it seems Stephanie is constantly the vehicle for encouragement in LazyTown. If Robbie is the gum in the works, then she is the catalyst that initiates all the activity and life in town. Taking this into account, and remembering how important friendship is to her, I'd say this just barely tips the scales in favor of emotion.
    What do you think? Are my recollections of the character vacuous? Perhaps I need to watch the show more, as the majority of viewing came years ago. Or perhaps it veers close to the truth. If so, try this on another character. Could always introduce the role of directorial cues, teleplay, and actor choices have. I fear to enter the arena of puppet psychoanalysis, though that would make a killer episode.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	filledwfeels.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	149586

Comment

I think you're right about Stephanie; she seems to be both logical and emotional. I would love to see them make a puppet psychoanalysis episode, but I heard they sold the LazyTown Studio and I'm not sure what became of it.

A lot of characters in LazyTown appear to be on the emotional side, including Ziggy, Stingy, the Mayor, Miss Busybody, and maybe Trixie. As you said, Pixel seems pretty logical, and I'd say that Sportacus and Stephanie are a perfect balance between emotional and logical. Also, Robbie Rotten seems mostly logical, although he sometimes lets the emotional side get the best of him.

Oh, and I love that "All filled up with feelings" picture. It must be a reference to when he says "All your feelings are miiiiine" in the Mine Song.

Comment

Originally posted by Stingy View Post
          Stephanie...help[s] her friends by being level-headed and ethical...
          Chalk these up for the logical side.

Comment

Robbie is an interesting one, I mean he's great at coming up with complex plans to get rid of Sportacus, which could be logical, but at the same time it seems like all he actually wants is to be listened to(emotional). He takes a cold, uncaring attitude towards the people of lazytown(logical?), but at the same time that seems like a cover for the fact that he actually just wants to join in with all there activities(emotional)

Comment

Originally posted by UnLearnEd View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6874[/ATTACH]

Comment

well its not always easy to do this judgement. there are many factors that can affect this. for example someone would just let go of things he was very much attached to. so I think this would be true only in number of special cases

Comment

Working...
                X