Máni Svavarsson on "Einn Um Jólin"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Máni Svavarsson on "Einn Um Jólin"

Máni Svavarsson recently posted on facebook about the song Einn Um Jólin. Read his story below.

Originally posted by Máni Svavarrson (Í Íslensku)
    Ég hef ákveðið að vera duglegri við að deila tónlist þetta árið - og jafnvel láta skemmtilega sögu fylgja með þegar að það á við.

Meðfylgjandi lag heitir "Einn um jólin" og er eftir undirritaðan og textinn er eftir Halldór Baldursson.

Þetta lag var á disknum "Jól í Latabæ" sem kom út árið 2001. Sagan á bakvið lagið er sú að Magnus Scheving og ég vorum (og erum) báðir mjög hrifnir af KK (hver er það ekki?). Maggi kom með þá hugmynd að fá KK til að semja lag - um Glanna Glæp - og jafnvel syngja það með honum.

KK tók vel í erindið en einhvernvegin fór það svo að hann hafði ekki tíma til að semja lagið - og fljótlega voru góð ráð dýr. Við vorum að renna út á tíma og það vantaði bara þetta lag frá KK.

Við héldum smá fund - með KK - og á endanum stakk ég uppá því að semja lag sem að hann myndi syngja. Þetta var á fimmtudegi - og diskurinn varð að fara út í framleiðslu á mánudeginum þar á eftir. KK samþykkti þetta - og bauðst til að koma og syngja lagið eftir gigg það sama kvöld!

Nú gerðust hlutirnir hratt - svo vægt sé til orða tekið. Ég samdi lag .. Maggi talaði við Halldór .. sem að samdi frábæran texta svotil samstundis .. ég bjó til grófa útsetningu .. og beið svo eftir KK sem að kom í bílskúrinn á Háteigsveginum klukkan sirka tvö .. um nótt.

KK var að heyra lagið í fyrsta skipti - og var sáttur (sem betur fer.) Ég sagði honum að ég hefði reynt að semja lagið í "hans stíl" .. sem honum fannst brjálæðislega fyndið. Það fyndið eiginlega - að hann gat ekki sungið lagið inn (eða spilað á gítarinn) til að byrja með vegna hláturs. Það var ekki fyrr en að við snérum míkrafóninum við í upptökuklefanum (svo hann þyrfti ekki að horfa á mig) - að hann gat sungið þetta inn ... og gerði það í einu gullfallegu "teiki".

Stefan Karl Stefansson kom svo inn daginn eftir og söng sinn part óaðfinnanlega.... eða næstum því! Því þegar ég leyfði Magga að heyra útkomuna fannst honum vanta meiri tilfinningu í orðið "Jólin" .. í setningunni "Því er ég einn ... um JÓLIN". Ég verð að viðurkenna að á þessari stund fékk ég næstum því taugaáfall (og líklega ekki í fyrsta skipti) yfir "afskiptasemi" Magga. Ég meina það alls ekki illa - því að þetta auga og eyra Magga fyrir smáatriðum hefur fært fjöll og meira til.

Stebbi kom aftur ... og söng þessa línu aftur .. og aftur .. þangað til að þetta var fullkomið.

Ég held mikið uppá þetta lag og vona að þið njótið :)
    Originally posted by Máni Svavarsson (In English)
    I have decided to be more active in sharing my music this year - and to even tell a fun story to go along when appropriate.

The following song is called "Alone on Christmas" with lyrics by Halldór Baldursson.

This song was in my hard drive called, "Christmas in LazyTown" published in 2001. The story behind the song is that Magnús Scheving and I were (and are) both very impressed by KK [Kristján Kristjánsson] (who isn’t?). Maggi [Magnús] came up with an idea to get KK to write a song - about Robbie Rotten - and even sing it with him.

KK accepted the offer, but somehow managed it so that he didn’t have time to write the song - and so we had to come up with a plan. We were running out of time and it just needed this song from KK.
    We held a little meeting - with KK - and eventually I offered to write a song and he would sing. This was on a Thursday - and the CD had to go into production on Monday. KK agreed - and offered to come and sing the song after the gig he had that night!

Now everything happened quickly – which is quite an understatement. I wrote a song.. Maggi spoke to Halldór.. who wrote great lyrics post haste.. I created a rough mix.. and waited for KK in the garage at Háteigsveginum at approximately two.. in the morning.

KK heard the song for the first time - and liked it (fortunately). I told him that I was trying to compose a song in his "style".. he thought it was crazy funny. It was so funny that he couldn’t even sing the song (or play the guitar) because he was laughing. It was not until we turned the microphone around in the recording booth (so he couldn’t look at me) – that he could sing it... and made it into one gorgeous "piece of art".

Stefán Karl Stefánsson came in the next day and sang his part perfectly.... or almost! Because when I let Maggi hear the mix, he thought it was missing a more dramatic reading of the word "Christmas" in the line.. "because I’m alone on... Christmas". I must admit that at this moment I almost had a nervous breakdown (and probably not the first time) because of the "interference" Maggi. I mean, it's not bad - because with his eye and ear for detail, Maggi has moved mountains and more.

Stebbi [Stefán] came back... and sang this line again.. and again.. until it was perfect.

I think a lot about this song and hope you will enjoy :)

Re: Máni Svavarsson on "Einn Um Jólin"

Great read and great song.
    I really hope to see more of his work published soon, and it's a tremendous relief to now know the ball is slowly beginning to roll.

That man is so much more than just a generic one-hit-wonder, and it sometimes saddens me when suck "unknown-heroes" goes without getting the acknowledgement they really deserve.
    I'm as sneaky as can be. None's sneakier than me.

Comment

Máni is an amazing man, and one of the nicest people I've ever talked to! He's a big inspiration to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Luk-a-Tronic View Post
        Máni is an amazing man, and one of the nicest people I've ever talked to! He's a big inspiration to me.
        I dream to talk to a person that worked LT someday. At this point it does not matter who it is I just wanna hear some stories one on one what it was like to be on that show Whether it be on Stage or The TV series. I briefly talked to David Matthew Feldman once but it was when I tried adding him on Facebook but that was a long time ago. Anyway I'm getting off topic. This was a great read and a really good song. And I am not a fan of Christmas. But this was good. I hope to hear and read more from Máni and Stefan. This guys are amazing

Comment

Working...
        X