Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busy Town & UK dubs

Originally posted by Username View Post
    I would've been 11 when the show first aired in Canada. Its primary broadcaster here was YTV, who had/have a policy of not airing seasons until they can run marathons with new episodes daily.

I initially disregarded the show as a cheap imitation of Richard Scarry's Busy Town. The daytime kiddie advertisements didn't help appeal to my tween sensibilities, and the show generally seemed too bright and insipid.

Then I heard "Twenty Times Time", followed by "Bing Bang" and then the instrumental mix for the ending. It was like a sugar rush--I was hooked. Downloaded TTT from good ol Kazaa, and would wake up before 7 to watch episodes. It was a simpler time.

In many ways, it's this simple time that LazyTown brings me back to. The staging is simple, the problems are simple, the people are simple, and it's all quite refreshing. What sets it apart from other kids shows though is that the characters take themselves seriously, to the degree they feel organic and not put on for a show.
    Busy Town? You mean this show

Re: So, how old were you when you got into LazyTown?

Originally posted by Bädo Innos View Post
    what is lazytown
    I'll take Icelandic TV for $400.

Originally posted by megadjmatt25 View Post
    Right franchise, wrong medium. Never saw the show, but I did read some of the books and loved the PC 'game' "How Things Work in Busytown!". I'ma kneading my dough! I'ma kneading my dough! I'ma kneading my, kneading my dough!

God damn, just watched the cartoon's opening. At one point it feels beat-for-beat like The Simpsons opening. The way things are hectic and the street orientation shifts--come on, that's too apparent.

Comment

I'll take Icelandic TV for $400.

Right franchise, wrong medium. Never saw the show, but I did read some of the books and loved the PC 'game' "How Things Work in Busytown!". I'ma kneading my dough! I'ma kneading my dough! I'ma kneading my, kneading my dough!

God damn, just watched the cartoon's opening. At one point it feels beat-for-beat like The Simpsons opening. The way things are hectic and the street orientation shifts--come on, that's too apparent.

Huh. I had no idea there was a PC game. I knew about the books and the TV Show though. And I kinda see what you mean. Maybe the intro was inspired by The Simpsons opening

Comment

Oh man, I remember growing up with that in my school. Richard Scarry is one of my favorite children's book writers.

Comment

Originally posted by 20xTime View Post
          Oh man, I remember growing up with that in my school. Richard Scarry is one of my favorite children's book writers.
          He is talented. I remember when Mcdonalds had toys of his books

Comment

He is talented. I remember when Mcdonalds had toys of his books
            It did? When? XD

My favorite story from his is probably the short story "The absent-minded rabbit".

Comment

What sets it apart from other kids shows though is that the characters take themselves seriously, to the degree they feel organic and not put on for a show.
              I can agree to that. Not sure where everyone's from but British kid's shows always seem to give the characters the same patronizing super British accent voice and the characters all either have the same personality or 0 personality. Hard to explain by text but man oh man I find it annoying. As Robbie would say DON'T LET YOUR KIDS WATCH IT!

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRobbie View Post
                I can agree to that. Not sure where everyone's from but British kid's shows always seem to give the characters the same patronizing super British accent voice and the characters all either have the same personality or 0 personality. Hard to explain by text but man oh man I find it annoying. As Robbie would say DON'T LET YOUR KIDS WATCH IT!
                AS A HALF BRITISH PERSON WITH NO BRITISH ACCENT I AGREE WITH THIS STRONGLY!

Seriously, the only show where British accents actually work in my opinion is Black Butler. I say this because unlike the kid shows I've seen in the UK dub, it actually takes place in Victorian England.

Comment

I'm assuming you're an anime fan, have you seen the dub of the first two parts of JoJo's Bizzare Adventure? The accents bother me so much :/ Maybe because I never really hear anyone actually talk like that but everyone seems to think it's the British standard.

But back on topic. I'm going to assume I'm watching the US version and I have no problems with the voices. I'll have to seek out the UK dub and see what i think. I guess I would get to see it on tv...if any channels here played re-runs which I don't think they do :frown:

Comment

I'm assuming you're an anime fan, have you seen the dub of the first two parts of JoJo's Bizzare Adventure? The accents bother me so much :/ Maybe because I never really hear anyone actually talk like that but everyone seems to think it's the British standard.

But back on topic. I'm going to assume I'm watching the US version and I have no problems with the voices. I'll have to seek out the UK dub and see what i think. I guess I would get to see it on tv...if any channels here played re-runs which I don't think they do :frown:
                    No I haven't. My brother loves JoJo but I think he watched the Japanese original.

You can look up the UK dub on YouTube.

Comment

I just had a look. It's so strange, they didn't need to change it. Do they think kids won't understand an American accent? We have American cartoons with the same American voices so... ??? I don't see the point

Comment

I just had a look. It's so strange, they didn't need to change it. Do they think kids won't understand an American accent? We have American cartoons with the same American voices so... ??? I don't see the point
                        I agree! Like, how come the British kids had to miss out on the awesome US voices? Even I, as a half British kid, HATED the UK dubs for the shows.

Comment

I agree! Like, how come the British kids had to miss out on the awesome US voices? Even I, as a half British kid, HATED the UK dubs for the shows.
                          The only voices left un touched in the British versions were Bessie, Mayor Means Well, Stephanie, Robbie and Sportacus. Not sure why everyone else changed

Comment

The only voices left un touched in the British versions were Bessie, Mayor Means Well, Stephanie, Robbie and Sportacus. Not sure why everyone else changed
                            I'm glad Mayor Meanswell's voice didn't change. I would hate it if it did. A British accent just doesn't fit him.

Comment

I'm glad Mayor Meanswell's voice didn't change. I would hate it if it did. A British accent just doesn't fit him.
                              Agreed

Comment

Working...
                              X