Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Miscellaneous Issues

Originally posted by StephanieM View Post
    Can you look German? Lol what am I saying.
    Oh you most definitely can look German.. Just watch!

Click image for larger version

Name:	oktoberfest-girls-dirndl-beer-20.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	149575
    I'm as sneaky as can be. None's sneakier than me.

Comment

Originally posted by Fox View Post
      Oh you most definitely can look German
      yeah the typical stereotype but actually only the Bavarians are looking like that...sometimes
      Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by LazyPooky View Post
        Well I guess we need to make the best of it, at least for 4 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELD2AwFN9Nc
        I loved that final part of "The Netherlands" second, !!

----------------------------------------------

Regarding what I wrote before and just to make some things clear:

1. Obama:
        You can be praised or insulted as much as you want. For that exists the democracy that allows the free expression of ideas. For me, the very personal impression that Barak Obama leaves is to be a sincere, honest, thoughtful and sensitive man in social matters. I differ a lot from his foreign policies (about which, as a thinking citizen of this world, I can express myself and give my opinion about it). However, I can't (nor would it be fair) ignore those human qualities that imprinted a very particular stamp on his presidency. I would really like that many presidents of other countries had the same human qualities and use them as a floor on which to build a government (good or bad, that will depend on other factors and circumstances), in particular, the president who sadly and miserably governs my own country.

In addition to this, Barak Obama had the invaluable and wonderful help of his wife Michelle, whose social and humanitarian work as First Lady has been remarkable, outstanding and touching, as not any other First Lady have done before. For the purposes of this forum, it's enough to remember the campaign that she undertook of "Let's Move!", accompanied (among other personalities) by Magnús Scheving, our dear "Sportacus".

2. Trump:
        You can be sure that I'm the last person in this world who wanted to see Donald Trump sitting in the Oval Office. It doesn't matter if he lost by more than two million votes, considering the pupular votes. No matter the clumsiness and negligence of Hillary Clinton handling confidential documents as Secretary of State. It doesn't matter whether or not he received help from Russian hackers to boycott the election campaign. None of that matters. What matters is that under the rules of the Establishment (as other presidents have done before), Trump won the election legally and is the current president of the USA, whether we like it or not. Period. That doesn't allow for discussion. Therefore, I don't know how convenient is the idea of ​​the constant and very early attack on Trump from the media and social networks. It doesn't seem like a very smart move, specially, considering the kind of person who has proven to be over the last few months through his comments, statements, interviews, twits, and a very long etc. Assuming that Trump is the person that many of us think he is, that kind of actions mean nothing to him. He would probably laugh at them. On the other hand (and even worse), if he is the person that we think he is, those actions of protest, complaints and insults can lead to radicalization and acceleration on his part. Honestly, such a position doesn't make any sense.

I think the right - and intelligent - thing to do is to let him govern. If he does well, his presidency will be positively evaluated, even by those who most oppose and criticize his presidency. If he does wrong, the US Constitution, Congress and the different institutions could put limits on any attempt to exceed his authority and obligations as president.

3. In summary:
        Exclusively from a very personal point of view, this would be my assessment:

- Barak Obama (the man, the public servant, not the President): 8/10
        - Michelle Obama (the woman, wife, best Obama's partner and, yes, First Lady): 10/10
        - Obama Administration (from a point of view of its influence on foreign policy): 6/10
        - Donald Trump (the man, the public servant, not the President): 2/10
        - Trump Administration (so far, from a point of view of its influence on foreign policy and trying to be as fair as possible): 4/10

Of course, these numbers can vary (up or down) according to the dynamics of reality and events.

Again - and as I said before - we have to give him time and hoping for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz View Post
          yeah the typical stereotype but actually only the Bavarians are looking like that...sometimes
          My local LIDL has a huge poster near the exit, with a picture of a woman saying something like "Thanks for choosing Lidl" or something like that.
          I have seen the picture several times, and every time I see it, it just screams German to me.
          Like, the woman is so obviously German, that it almost hurts.
          She's blond with blue eyes, but there's something, which I can't really pin-point, that really makes it clear she's German.

I would post the picture, but unfortunately I don't have it..
          Anyways, that is what a German looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by hlazytownero View Post
            2. Trump:I think the right - and intelligent - thing to do is to let him govern. If he does well, his presidency will be positively evaluated, even by those who most oppose and criticize his presidency. If he does wrong, the US Constitution, Congress and the different institutions could put limits on any attempt to exceed his authority and obligations as president.
            Make no mistake:
            - Donald Trump has very little interest in governing.
            - Congress is more dangerous than Donald Trump, and political institutions will be hardly be a barrier if shit hits the fan. Checks and balances don't work when they're all corrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by Stingy View Post
              Make no mistake:
              - Donald Trump has very little interest in governing.
              - Congress is more dangerous than Donald Trump, and political institutions will be hardly be a barrier if shit hits the fan. Checks and balances don't work when they're all corrupt.
              I understand your point of view. My words written before may seem to have been naively written, ignoring the practicality of reality, rawness, savagery, violence, corruption, and all the baseness and malice that the human race is capable of. It's not my case at all. If someone is very aware of all these things is me: I have to live them - very closely - each and every single day of my life. No, my words were written knowing that in spite of all these things you have to hold on to the good (even desperately), hoping that things will be Ok at the end of the day. Obviously, this is not simply an exercise in faith. It's an effort or constant work put into it with legal, economic, social and political means - many or few - that are counted, and needless to say, used efficiently, opportunely and intelligently.

Otherwise, what would be the purpose of all this?

That is why:

- I trust in the respect that the lawyers are obliged to give to the Constitution (even though the Supreme Court of Justice of United States may consist of an ultra conservative majority).
              - It should give room to the Congress, with Republican majority included. Many of them are not totally bought into Trump's ideas.
              - Institutions, in spite of being very bureaucratic organisms and of very slow progress, work (unlike many other countries in the world).

If any lesson I have learned from Magnús Scheving is "never give up." I think it's good advice for everyone.

Comment

http://trumpdonald.org/

The best bookmark to have for the next 4 years.

Name:	twitter_share_image.jpg
Size:	708.5 KB
ID:	149580

Comment

Originally posted by Fox View Post
                  http://trumpdonald.org/

The best bookmark to have for the next 4 years.
                  lol...I blew his toupee away
                  Gallery

Comment

The Trump introduction videos of European countries has gone viral on YouTube
                    Love it!

Germany
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcH9eWBs9fw

Switzerland
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reuJ8yVCgSM

Belgium
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfckTE_Fw_U

Portugal
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcehg0LG5J4

etc.
                    Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

Video
                      "People, not the Pastry" haha.
                      Getur einhver annar verið Glanni ? það bara passar ekki
                      Stefan Karl Stefansson, það er enginn eins og þú!

Comment

The Trump introduction videos of European countries has gone viral
                        the swiss and the german ones are well made...but still I like the original the most
                        Gallery

Comment

Oh wow.
                          You keep away from the news for a couple of days, and suddenly your favourite Danish talkshow is number one trending.. :thinking:

Name:	DsTeX78.png
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	149582

Thanks for sharing this Pooky.
                          It's always funny when things like this go viral, and especially when it has to do with The Netherlands and Denmark.
                          It's just like that immigration video we had up a couple of months ago.
                          I love this friendly banter between the Danish and the Dutch..

Comment

This type of video always brings to the surface the antagonistic positions that I have in this respect (as a human being and as Latinoamerican).

On the one hand, and removing the whole thing of cinematographic, commercial and the obviously political angle of the video, there is an inescapable reality: illegal immigration is just that, ILLEGAL. It attempts against laws (in this case, against US laws).

On the other hand, I fully understand the reasons why people are forced to take such a measure (much more from the last four years to the present). The life of the immigrant - specially if it is illegal - is very hard, ruthless and, very often, extremely unfair. Even so, when life in your own country becomes impossible the balance of life is inclined towards illegal immigration no matter what, because "Pros" are a little bigger than the "Cons" (which, DO NOT legalize it, it simply explains it).

There are times when, from the human and not legal point of view, it is very easy to go for or against immigration (legal or not). If it is an immigration of thieves, ill-living, criminals, or worse, people who are presumed to be terrorists (with reliable facts and evidence that so indicate and that is not a presumption because of the race or provenance of such people), the decision is more than obvious. Every country has the right to protect itself as best it can from anything that affects or impedes its development and way of life. But when from the same human angle, immigration is integrated by innocent people who simply flee from a local war, a tough economic situation, when there is hunger, when there is no work and when the safety, health and education of the children becomes a priority greater than all the previous ones, the decision in favor of this type of immigration seems an exercise of responsible humanity, above all other legalistic or nationalistic considerations. This is when the spirit of the law must be respected over the letter of the law. Of course, the difficult point here is to know who is who to know how to proceed. The easier (and cheaper) way is to prevent everyone from entering, but with this action one becomes an accomplice of a supreme injustice towards other human beings. The difficult, long and costly way is to implement the necessary measures that allow a reasonable and fair discrimination of the intentions of the immigrants (legal or not). It is what I would call "giving a second chance of life" (if you allow me).

Even so, most of the immigration still remains illegal.

I look at the PC screen when I write these words, sigh and think to myself: between the madness of nationalist fanaticism and the irresponsibility of blind permisology there MUST be a mid-point of sanity, justice and equity where immigration can be LEGAL, controlled and, above all, humanitarian.

There must be.

Comment

Working...
                            X