Compare UK dub with the original US English

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare UK dub with the original US English

Re: Which Character do you think has the worst singing voice?

On the face of it, it makes sense since 'candy' is seldom used in the UK and 'sweets' is seldom used in the US. This was probably decided early on, before writing the song.

However, The Mine Song retains "sweets". Add to that, the presence of "Sportscandy" in both versions of the show.

I've always been curious, what happened when Steph, Sportaflop or Robbie used the word 'candy'? Did they reshoot scenes, or retain it and just change Ziggy's lines?

Originally posted by Username View Post
    On the face of it, it makes sense since 'candy' is seldom used in the UK and 'sweets' is seldom used in the US. This was probably decided early on, before writing the song.

However, The Mine Song retains "sweets". Add to that, the presence of "Sportscandy" in both versions of the show.

I've always been curious, what happened when Steph, Sportaflop or Robbie used the word 'candy'? Did they reshoot scenes, or retain it and just change Ziggy's lines?
    Instances of Robbie, Spotacus and Stephanie saying "candy" were retained.

A few other things of note about the UK dub:

Ziggy's super hero persona, SportaCandy, was changed to Sweeticus.

Instances of the puppet characters saying "taffy" in Happy Brush Day (S1E09) were changed to "toffee". "Toffee" replaces "taffy" in any episodes with references to taffy. Steph, Robbie and Sportacus all say "taffy" though.

That's all I can remember for now, hope it helps.

Comment

They didn't alter lines/clips of the shows, if any of the live actors or non-dubbed puppets used American terms.
      Ziggy was entirely dubbed in the British version of the show, so it was pretty straight forward to alter some of his American words to British (candy/sweets, sorry/pardon ect.).

Don't begin contemplating if there are "altered versions" of all the scenes, being sent specifically to the UK... :xd:
      I'm as sneaky as can be. None's sneakier than me.

Comment

Originally posted by Fox View Post
        Ziggy was entirely dubbed in the British version of the show
        Were all the puppets dubbed, or just Ziggy and Stingy?

Originally posted by LagoonaBlue View Post
        Ziggy's super hero persona, SportaCandy, was changed to Sweeticus.

Instances of the puppet characters saying "taffy" in Happy Brush Day (S1E09) were changed to "toffee". "Toffee" replaces "taffy" in any episodes with references to taffy. Steph, Robbie and Sportacus all say "taffy" though.

That's all I can remember for now, hope it helps.
        Neat. I figured there had to be some sort of incongruity. I guess this is the best bet--just roll with it and hope the kids don't notice.

It's been forever since I saw the SportaCandy, do you recall if others avoided using his hero name and instead used "you", "Ziggy" and the like? In other words, did "SportaCandy" slip by in human dialogue for the UK dub?

Comment

Were all the puppets dubbed, or just Ziggy and Stingy?

Neat. I figured there had to be some sort of incongruity. I guess this is the best bet--just roll with it and hope the kids don't notice.

It's been forever since I saw the SportaCandy, do you recall if others avoided using his hero name and instead used "you", "Ziggy" and the like? In other words, did "SportaCandy" slip by in human dialogue for the UK dub?

The four child puppets were dubbed, usually by (according to google) Sarah Burgess and Julie Westwood. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Mayor Meanswell and Bessie Busybody weren't dubbed.

I haven't seen the SportaCandy episode in forever, I'll have to look into that. I just remember his name was changed to Sweeticus.

Comment

I don't think kids in the UK would care or notice if they let the original voice of the puppets.

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwig View Post
              I don't think kids in the UK would care or notice if they let the original voice of the puppets.
              The BBC didn't want British kids trying to mimic American accents, apparently.

Comment

The BBC didn't want British kids trying to mimic American accents, apparently.
                When I was little I loved Pinky Dinky Doo so I was mildly confused on why there was a British dub on the BBC website I went to because I was so used to the US version.

I'm half British, I don't see anything wrong with American voices though. I speak it.

Comment

Originally posted by 20xTime View Post
                  When I was little I loved Pinky Dinky Doo so I was mildly confused on why there was a British dub on the BBC website I went to because I was so used to the US version.

I'm half British, I don't see anything wrong with American voices though. I speak it.
                  There's also a Scottish Gaelic dub on the BBC website too, which is probably more confusing.

BBC also dubbed Clifford the Big Red dog which sucks because the voice cast for the original US version is brilliant.

Comment

There's also a Scottish Gaelic dub on the BBC website too, which is probably more confusing.

BBC also dubbed Clifford the Big Red dog which sucks because the voice cast for the original US version is brilliant.
                    Childhood right there! And I'd have to agree. The US voice cast was really good. I also remember disliking the UK dub of some other kids shows.

I don't understand what BBC has against American English voices, considering how, again, I'm half British and I enjoy the US versions of kids shows way more than the UK dubs.

Comment

Childhood right there! And I'd have to agree. The US voice cast was really good. I also remember disliking the UK dub of some other kids shows.

I don't understand what BBC has against American English voices, considering how, again, I'm half British and I enjoy the US versions of kids shows way more than the UK dubs.
                      Back in the 90s they did used to air American kiddy programs with the original accents intact.

I remember the first time I ever saw the original English version of LazyTown on Youtube (back in 2006 or 2007 IIRC). I was all "Why are their voices different?" I thought the UK one was the original.

Comment

Back in the 90s they did used to air American kiddy programs with the original accents intact.

I remember the first time I ever saw the original English version of LazyTown on Youtube (back in 2006 or 2007 IIRC). I was all "Why are their voices different?" I thought the UK one was the original.
                        Man, that makes me miss the 90's, even though I was like, born from my mom on the last month of 1999. XD

I can't really think of any UK dubs I listened to first, but there are a few characters which I can't imagine having a British accent. Like Sportacus. His accent is nice to hear already. Thankfully the costumed actor's voices are intact.

Comment

Man, that makes me miss the 90's, even though I was like, born from my mom on the last month of 1999. XD

I can't really think of any UK dubs I listened to first, but there are a few characters which I can't imagine having a British accent. Like Sportacus. His accent is nice to hear already. Thankfully the costumed actor's voices are intact.
                          The only one of the puppets that suits a British accent is Stingy.

Comment

The only one of the puppets that suits a British accent is Stingy.
                            Wow! You're right! Stingy's voice does fit the British accent! He kind of sounds like a girl, but that doesn't matter.

Quick question: Is Mayor Meanswell's voice retained in the UK dub or is it changed?

Comment

Quick question: Is Mayor Meanswell's voice retained in the UK dub or is it changed?
                              Mayor Meanswell's and Miss Busybody's are both kept.

Comment

Working...
                              X