Thread: Sports Elf

SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 9 - Energy Poster
    Local Date
    24th March 2017
    Local Time
    19:51

Sports Elf

In the original plays Sportacus was actually an elf, wasn't he? He had some strange magic and abilities besides his athletic prowess. He appeared in Goggi's TV set in the first show and brought flowers back to life in the second show, for example.

Do you think Sportacus could still be considered an elf in the TV series? I've heard some jokes before about how his ears are always tucked in his hat. You also have Robbie calling him the blue elf in the show now and then, though that may just be a wink and a nod. I like to think he really is slightly above average for a hero because he's not even human...

The Prince ADMINISTRATOR
    Level 33 - New Superhero
    Local Date
    24th March 2017
    Local Time
    17:51

Sports Elf

Quote Originally Posted by AnnGry View Post
    In the original plays Sportacus was actually an elf, wasn't he? He had some strange magic and abilities besides his athletic prowess. He appeared in Goggi's TV set in the first show and brought flowers back to life in the second show, for example.
    Something like that. I think there's more information about this in the pre-stageplay books that were published. I would like to get those translated some day, but they are not short, so it would be a real task to do so. But yes, he is classified as an elf. It's an Icelandic thing.

Do you think Sportacus could still be considered an elf in the TV series? I've heard some jokes before about how his ears are always tucked in his hat. You also have Robbie calling him the blue elf in the show now and then, though that may just be a wink and a nod. I like to think he really is slightly above average for a hero because he's not even human...
    There isn't an official backstory to the Sportacus that we see on TV. "Official" as in never actually portrayed in any official sense. However, there were a few conceptualized backstories, but none of them were related to elves, so I don't think he's considered an elf any more. In Icelandic, his name is still Íþróttaálfurinn, which has become a proper noun and now actually directly translates to Sportacus, but if you cut it up into its root parts, Íþrótta & álfur, his name is still kind of "The Sports Elf." Maybe in the Icelandic dub there are still traces of him being a legitimate elf. I'd be interested to find out if that was the case.
    Spirit Power Obligation Responsibility Truth Agility Courage Understanding Solace

SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 9 - Energy Poster
    Local Date
    24th March 2017
    Local Time

Sports Elf

I read something online about there being some sort of "Icelandic Elf School" where you can be taught some folklore? It would be nice if there was a way to take that course online. Just going off wikipedia for that tidbit. I wish I could read the original books that Magnus had written, too.

Local Date
    24th March 2017
    Local Time

Sports Elf

Is Sportacus even called an elf in the TV series? I know it is in the Icelandic dub because his name legit translates to "The Sports Elf." But the only thing that's reminiscent of him besides Magnús of course, is his hat. Other than that, I didn't even know he was an elf. Also I think we can agree that Glanni Glæpur í Latibær is superior to Afrám Latibær.

The Music Fanatic SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 26 - Roboticus
    Local Date
    25th March 2017
    Local Time
    00:51

Re: Sports Elf

Quote Originally Posted by ibmpcdos5 View Post
    Is Sportacus even called an elf in the TV series? ... Other than that, I didn't even know he was an elf.
    The reason why this information may be confusing to new people, is that Magnus' character was changed from a "SportsElf" to that "slightly-above-average" (read: Superhero) thingy.
    I assume that Nickelodeon didn't find the original elf, or gnome, idea fitting for an American audience, which is why they changed Magnus' role to something more familiar for the younger peeps in the US.

All in all, it's just one of those lesser known trivia things about the show.
    You can draw parallels between the stage plays and the tv show, but ultimately they will never be the same thing.
    The character from the stage plays, Íþróttaálfurinn, was a sports elf, whereas the blue guy in the tv show most certainly was a "Supahero"..

Quote Originally Posted by ibmpcdos5 View Post
    Also I think we can agree that Glanni Glæpur í Latibær is superior to Afrám Latibær.
    Well, not entirely.
    The Glanni Glæpur show was way closer to what we all know and love as LazyTown, but that does necessarily mean it's the better.
    If anything, take actually makes it better, because you're able to see another side of LazyTown - kinda see what it potentially could have turned into.

Also, I raise you the original "The Mine Song"..
    There's only one universal language - Music.

Local Date
    24th March 2017
    Local Time

Sports Elf

Lol, watching a full grown man rave about his possessions in Icelandic is ironically funny.

Leading Lady ADMINISTRATOR
    Level 35 - Rockin' Poster
    Local Date
    25th March 2017
    Local Time

In the US an elf is something religious and/or extremely attached to the Christmas event. Iceland uses it as a myth or in a fairytale. Those are not compatible and it could be one of the reason they didn't use it. Who knows.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elf-on-shelf-book-and-dvd.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	6895 vs Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elf School.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	6896

The Moonblayd Level 7 - Lazy Poster UnLearnEd's Avatar
    Local Date
    24th March 2017
    Local Time

Elves are not religious & possess no sacred status within the US. They are associated with Santa Claus who gives kids presents, so an elf on a children's show would likely be well received.

Leading Lady ADMINISTRATOR
    Level 35 - Rockin' Poster
    Local Date
    25th March 2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by UnLearnEd View Post
    ..Santa Claus..
    I'm glad we agreed on something!

I missed you.