Only Christmas Comes in LazyTown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only Christmas Comes in LazyTown

Something that occurred to me is that LazyTown has its share of Christmas themed episodes, but never any other major holidays.

Would you have liked to have seen a:

- Halloween Episode
    - Valentines day
    - any other holiday?

Which one?

Re: Only Christmas Comes in LazyTown

they go to the beach to celebrate the first day of summer

Comment

Originally posted by AnnGry View Post
      Something that occurred to me is that LazyTown has its share of Christmas themed episodes, but never any other major holidays.

Would you have liked to have seen a:

- Halloween Episode
      - Valentines day
      - any other holiday?

Which one?
      there is no Halloween in Iceland afaik
      Gallery

Comment

They have Sportacuar Spectacle Day too

Comment

A Thanksgiving episode would have been interesting

Comment

Originally posted by megadjmatt25 View Post
            A Thanksgiving episode would have been interesting
            Same deal as Halloween. It's not international enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Stingy View Post
              Same deal as Halloween. It's not international enough.
              True. We have only Christmas and summer holidays. LazyTown is a serie for the world and not only for the USA, and I believe only Christmas is celebrated worldwide for a great deal. It would be weird to have pure US holidays in the episodes. Kids in other countries don't understand.
              Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

I thought maybe Halloween would get a pass as there is also Day of the Dead in Mexico- not really the same thing, but sort of along a similar vein. What sort of holidays are there that are unique to Iceland?

Comment

It would be fine if there were holidays within the show that were based on real holidays, but made more LazyTown-y and fictionalized. A Halloween-type holiday, for example, would make for some fun moments in LazyTown since it is so candy-centric and since Robbie loves his costumes.

I could see a scene where the kids are all trick-or-treating, with Stephanie dressed as a doctor, Trixie as a pirate, Stingy as a king, Pixel as an astronaut, and Ziggy as Sportacus. They would go to Sportacus's airship, and he would give them fruit, and the Mayor's and Bessie's where they give them whatever. Then they would go to Robbie's and he would give them all kinds of sweets, thinking that he was doing something really bad. Robbie would watch with glee as they ate their candy, but would be really confused when Sportacus swoops down from his airship to tell the kids that eating candy is okay, as long as it is in moderation and on special occasions like this. The kids would all be very happy with the load of candy that Robbie gave them, and he would be their hero, much to his despair.

But the best would be a Festivus-inspired holiday. Robbie's Airing Of Grievances ceremony would be legendary, and I'm sure Sportacus would get a kick out of the Feats Of Strength.

Comment

I do like that idea of making up new holidays in the show based on existing ones. They already have a habit of making up all kinds of special -days, Sportacular Spectacle being one mentioned already... :)

How about "holidays" that aren't religion based, like Opposite Day? I think that one would have loads of potential.

Comment

Originally posted by AnnGry View Post
                      How about "holidays" that aren't religion based, like Opposite Day? I think that one would have loads of potential.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb4xGirFOq8

Comment

http://www.iceland.is/the-big-pictur...ety/traditions

Traditions
                        Icelanders have several unique holidays and celebrate the more common ones in special ways. Many of the festivities are related to ancient Norse traditions, while others tie in to the Christian calendar, even though nowadays most Icelanders celebrate these events in a secular way. In addition to the traditional holidays listed here, numerous festivals take place throughout the year.
                        Twelfth Night
                        6 January is celebrated as the last day of Christmas. The occasion is marked by various fireworks displays and bonfires.
                        Bóndadagur
                        The first day of the ancient Norse month of Thorri begins with bóndadagur, or 'husband's day'. On this day, which usually falls in late January, women give gifts to any significant men in their lives, and often feed them traditional food, related to the Thorri festivites.
                        Thorrablót
                        Roughly coinciding with mid-January to mid-February in the modern calendar, the ancient month of Thorri is the time for Thorrablót, or Thorri feast. Traditional foods, conserved in the traditional manner, are consumed and most Icelanders attend at least one Thorrablót feast, where there is much merriment and drink. The cuisine is definitely an acquired taste; delicacies include smoked lamb, seared lamb’s head, putrefied shark, ram’s testicles and flatbread, all washed down with Icelandic spirits. More...

Konudagur
                        The month of Thorri comes to an end with 'wife's day', a day to celebrate women. This time men do the treating, buying flowers or other traditional gifts for the significant women in their lives.

Bolludagur
                        The tradition of culinary excess during winter continues with bolludagur – literally, bun day – which occurs two days before Lent and symbolises the feast before the fast. Bakeries and home chefs prepare sweet cream puffs filled with cream and jam and drizzled with chocolate. It’s impossible to eat just one.

Sprengidagur
                        Following the indulgence of bun day comes sprengidagur – bursting day. It is celebrated on Shrove Tuesday when heavily salted lamb is consumed with a side serving of pea soup. Traditionally, Icelanders were encouraged to eat to bursting point, during what would be their last proper meal before Lent.

Öskudagur
                        Ash Wednesday is mostly celebrated by children in Iceland. Traditionally ashes were collected into small ash bags. The challenge was to then pin the bag onto innocent passersby. Today children celebrate the day by dressing up in costumes and singing in shops for sweets and treats, a little like Hallowe’en celebrations.

Easter
                        A religious holiday in Iceland and marked by the giving and receiving of large chocolate eggs filled with sweets. There are national holidays on Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Sunday, and Easter Monday. Most Icelandic children in their 14th year are confirmed during the Easter period.

Sumardagurinn fyrsti
                        In First Day of Summer is celebrated in Iceland with a holiday on the third Thursday in April. Traditionally, the weather is anything but summery.

Sjómannadagur
                        This holiday is dedicated to Iceland’s seamen and is celebrated on the first Sunday in June with displays of fish and fun and games for the kids in most communities around the country.

Icelandic Republic Day
                        Iceland’s national day, 17 June, commemorates the creation of Iceland as a republic in 1944. The day is the birthday of the country’s independence hero, Jón Sigurdsson.

Jónsmessa
                        Midsummer Night, The longest day of the year, is endowed with great mystical powers. According to Icelandic folklore cows gain the power of speech for the night, and seals can take a human form. Surely a treacherous time agical things are said to take place on this evening, including rumours that cows can speak!

Verslunarmannahelgi
                        This bank holiday, the first Monday in August, celebrates shopkeepers and other merchants. Numerous outdoor festivals take place around the country, and many people leave the capital area for a weekend at their summerhouses or camping.

Dagur Íslenskrar tungu
                        The Icelandic language day is celebrated on 16 November, the birthday of 19th-century writer Jónas Hallgrímsson, to symbolise the importance of protecting the Icelandic language.

Independence Day
                        Not to be confused with the official Independence Day on 17 June, this is celebrated on 1 December, to recognise Iceland’s declaration of independence from Denmark in 1918. It is not an official holiday.
                        Þorláksmessa
                        23 December is St. Þorlákur's Day, when Icelanders eat putrefied skate to symbolise what was traditionally the end of the Christmas fast. Shops are also open very late for the many who leave their Christmas buying frenzy until the last minute. For many, this signifies the beginning of Christmas.
                        Christmas
                        Christmas is celebrated on 24 December promptly at 6pm in the evening. Traditional dishes include ptarmigan, smoked lamb or smoked pork and pickled red cabbage. Presents are opened after Christmas dinner, which is a fairly formal affair. Icelanders decorate the interior and exterior of their houses extensively, in an effort to brighten up the dark winter days and nights. More on Icelandic Christmas
                        New Year’s Eve
                        This is celebrated with the gathering of family and friends at home and visits to the local bonfire. Most Icelanders buy their own fireworks and set them off at midnight to welcome in the New Year.

Comment

Only Christmas Comes in LazyTown

Kinda curious, in the episode The LazyTown circus Trixie mentions makeup for Halloween. Probably Halloween does come to LazyTown but c'mon, is a candy-centric celebration (I guess, I'm not American, is what I know thanks to the TV (?)) Having an episode like that sounds like a nightmare for Sportacus, and (as someone who isn't used to Halloween) I can't find very attractive an episode about it.

Comment

Could do a Thanksgiving episode and call it Pioneer Day. Also want to see that one.

Comment

Originally posted by appatary8523 View Post
                              Kinda curious, in the episode The LazyTown circus Trixie mentions makeup for Halloween. Probably Halloween does come to LazyTown but c'mon, is a candy-centric celebration (I guess, I'm not American, is what I know thanks to the TV (?)) Having an episode like that sounds like a nightmare for Sportacus, and (as someone who isn't used to Halloween) I can't find very attractive an episode about it.
                              It could focus on the other aspects of Halloween, primarily playing pranks, dressing up in costumes and the costume parties that go with them, fall-themed games like bobbing for apples and carving pumpkins. Hay rides, ghost stories, and more! I think the candy aspect is what would make it an even more appropriate episode for LazyTown, touching on enjoying things in moderation again. Or could explore Trixie pulling too many mean pranks during Halloween (egging and TP-ing houses, scaring everyone with her costume).

Comment

Working...
                              X