Naming Eyrún Eyðslukló

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naming Eyrún Eyðslukló

Hey everyone, I am working to get Áfram Latibaer translated into English, and there is a unique opportunity here. The character Eyrún Eyðslukló has never had an English name, so one has to be created. I have already begun to think up some names, but I thought that I would see if anyone here came up with anything as well.

To give you some background on the character if you don't already know, her character flaws are that she immediately spends all of her money whenever she gets it, and is therefore always poor and has to beg other people for money. You can watch her song from Áfram Latibaer here. Her first name, Eyrún, is simply an Icelandic female name. Her surname, Eyðslukló, is an Icelandic nickname for someone who spends too much, and it directly translates to "spending claw" in English. This naming follows the convention within the play of Icelandic Name + Surname Describing Their Traits eg. Solla Stirða = Solla the Stiff.

The LazyTown character naming convention was changed during its transition to English, so I also want to give you all more information about that. A lot of it is probably obvious, and I'm sure you have caught on to it, but I just want to make sure that we are on the same page.

1. Most of the characters' first names are indicative of their character. Sportacus is sporty, Trixie plays tricks, Stingy is stingy, Robbie robs, and Pixel likes computers. Stephanie might not seem like this fits immediately, but that's because while in development, her name was Stiffany, because she is stiff. The name was ultimately changed, I believe because of Nickelodeon being uncomfortable by the "stiff" in her name. The name was then fractured into either Tiffany or Stephanie, and Stephanie was the final choice.

2. Characters that do not have their definitions in their first name, have it in their last. Milford Meanswell is a bumbling fool, but means well, Bessie Busybody is a busybody, Ziggy Zweets likes sweets, Jives Junkfood likes junkfood, and Officer Obtuse's name is indicative of the way that he looks, and is names so because he is a little stupid.

3. Some characters have their definitions in both first and last names: Stephanie (Stiffanie) Splitz is flexible, Robbie Rotten is rotten, Stingy Spoilero is spoiled, Trixie Troubleby causes trouble, and Pixel Hyperbyte still likes computers.

4. With the exception of Sportacus (who has no last name) and Pixel, all other characters have alliteration in their first and last names.

5. The majority of the characters have their first name ending in the "e" sound. Stephanie, Trixie, Stingy, Ziggy, Robbie, Bessie.

The current naming conventions are established as such, but as you can see, there are exceptions to many of the rules. So here are the guidelines on how to name Eyrún Eyðslukló:
    1. Either her first or last name must be indicative of her character flaws, but preferably first, and more preferably, both.
    2. Her first and last name should start with the same letter/sound.
    3. Her first name would preferably end in the "e" sound.

To give you something to springboard off of, here are just a few of the potential names that I've come up with so far: Buyatrice Benkrupci, Penny Poorelli, and Spendcer Strappt.
    I'm interested to see if anyone comes up with anything cool.

Re: Naming Eyrún Eyðslukló

Centia Centspend

Spenda Moneypoor

Moneyca (or Monny) Spendalot

Cashy Broke
    Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

Penny Poorelli is my favorite...sounds better than Penny Pooper I had in mind
      Gallery

Comment

Moany Mcbrokey

Comment

Thanks for the contributions. Mickey, I really like your idea of McSomething, but I've found it really difficult to come up with something that isn't too clunky. Both you and Pooky tried to take the "money" approach with the name, and I tried really hard to see if I could make something work, but it all just seemed a little too on-the-nose, like Pooky's interpretation of Monica -> Moneyca.

Here are the names that I came up with over the weekend, some inspired by what others posted here. I was wondering if anyone had any specific feedback on any of them like which are the best, and which are bad. I know that Buzz already posted that he likes Penny Poorelli, and I like that one a lot too. Feel free to keep contributing if you come up with anything else, or if you can improve on any of the ones that I have proposed.

Brooke Benkrupzi
          Buyatrice Benkrupzi
          Penny Poorelli
          Pockets Poorelli
          Pockets Pennigrabbe
          Spendcer Strappt
          Spendcer Stumblebum
          Spenda Strappt
          Spenda Stumblebum
          Spenny Spenduli
          Spenny Spenzalot

Comment

Totally think it should end in a y or a y sound,
            Stingy
            Ziggy
            Robbie
            Stephanie

You get the idea.
            Getur einhver annar verið Glanni ? það bara passar ekki
            Stefan Karl Stefansson, það er enginn eins og þú!

Comment

Originally posted by Glanni's Girl View Post
              Totally think it should end in a y or a y sound,
              Stingy
              Ziggy
              Robbie
              Stephanie

You get the idea.
              I thought of that too. Penny is probably the best name and I like something with Spendalot or Spenzalot. Poorelli has an Italian sound, I'm not so fond of that, but if you guys like that it's okay with me :)
              Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyPooky View Post
                I thought of that too. Penny is probably the best name and I like something with Spendalot or Spenzalot. Poorelli has an Italian sound, I'm not so fond of that, but if you guys like that it's okay with me :)
                No, I think that you're right. I got some feedback from some ex-LazyTown staff, and it was pointed out that some of the names sounded too ethnic. It's absolutely true so I've been doing some reworking.

Comment

Erin Everbroke? :b

Comment

Originally posted by AnnGry View Post
                    Erin Everbroke? :b
                    It's not bad. I'm still very much actively thinking about it.

Comment

A few others cross my mind, maybe Cassie Nocash, Thelma or Theo Spendthrift.

Comment

sounding good you guys!

Comment

Penny Pestella?

Comment

Originally posted by LazyPooky View Post
                            Penny Pestella?
                            Das rite

Comment

So how exactly was the name chosen in the end?

Comment

Working...
                              X