Eurovision 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eurovision 2016

The Eurovision Song Contest 2016 will be the 61st edition of the Eurovision Song Contest. It will take place in the Ericsson Globe in Stockholm, Sweden, following Sweden's victory at the 2015 Contest in Vienna with the song "Heroes", performed by Måns Zelmerlöw. This will be the third time the contest has taken place in Stockholm, after 1975 and 2000, the latter also being held at the Globe. The contest will consist of two semi-finals on 10 and 12 May and the final on 14 May 2016. The three live shows will be hosted by Måns Zelmerlöw and Petra Mede. Forty-three countries will participate, equalling the record number of participants set in 2008 and 2011. Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia and Ukraine will return after absences from recent contests, while Australia will also return after débuting as a special guest in 2015. However, Portugal will withdraw.

Re: Eurovision 2016

I cant wait. Danish version (Melodi Grand Prix) will be held the February the 13th, and I'm sure we'll come up with something that beats those pesky Swedes this time!
    I'm as sneaky as can be. None's sneakier than me.

Comment

After having a well look at this, it's with sadness in my voice that I have to admit, that the Swedes have indeed won one time too many..
      Still I believe that their songs just simply aren't up to par. Okay - Abba truly killed it, but ever since then, their songs have simply been too cliché.

At least us Danes have to decency to actually be honest about our cliché songs :)

Anyway, maybe I'm one the one to be the judge here. I honestly have stopped watching Eurovision ever since 2006.
      Can someone tell me how on earth this beautiful song, with so much passion and soul, could loose to a bunch of dressed up monsters, rampaging the entire stage? Absolutely disgusting..

Another song I believe I have posted before

These two songs really touch me deeply, and, especially the last one, have so much feeling to it. I do not understand a word of Serbian, but still I understand everything she's expressing.
      And that is, or rather was, the beauty of the annual Eurovision song contest. All countries would trop up, and each deliver a tiny piece of their own culture. It was all about enlightening each other, feeling the presents from countries far away, and being united for one night alone, forgetting all about the huge cultural gab.

That's not the case anymore.
      Now it's all about being the best. It's about winning, and showing off to the rest of Europe that your country is far superior than the rest.
      And how can I say this? Well, for a start nearly every song is in English now. Only 5 out of the 27 songs that were in the final, were in those countries national language.
      Does this really mean anything, you might ask, and oh boy can I tell you it does!

As some of you might know, I play in a band. Our band is called Sorte Lunger, which is obviously Danish. This is not chosen at random, and it's definitely not something we didn't think about. No, we actually went through a hard task when picking our name. We had a few different ones in mind, for example we could have been called Death By Cab, The Spitz, or even Made in Holland (which was our first band name). But after looking at all these names, and an entire whiteboard full of others, we came to the conclusion that we wanted a Danish name. Why is this so? Well, it's because of a very particular reason.
      Or singer normally writes all of our songs, or at least all of the lyrics. He normally just spews out some words when we are making music, and normally it sounds decent. However, when we actually stepped back for a minute, and analyzed what the hell he was singing about, we were all shocked. It was all some pretty relevant topics, and the texts were indeed coherent. However, it was very bland. He simply couldn't express himself in the right way when singing English, and it wasn't because he didn't know the right words, it was simply because he, as well as the rest of us, was Danish. Danish in his heart, and Danish in his soul.
      We tried putting this theory to the test, and made him sing on Danish for a while. The result was stunning.
      The first song he sang was called "Fremtidssikret", going like "Er du fremtidssikret i nat?". This could be translated to "Are you future-proof tonight?" but do you feel that saying anything to you? No, not at all. And this is where the spooky things start to erupt. Because that one sentence in Danish, is far greater than what it seems. It's so dearly saying, and it could be the song of the century. But if you try to translate it, it looses its magic. It's simply... Nothing.

That's the sole reason why songs being sung in English by a non-English speaking country is not worth it. They are not English, and they simply can't change it.

Sorry for all of this being so much. I just feel that Eurovision has lost its core meaning the last decade. The songs are all the same, and you can't feel the people behind them anymore.

So I'll leave you with this. A song to cheer up after all of the sad words. Not from Eurovision, but a song that at least I would love to see. So my question to you is now; can you feel it?

Comment

You know, I like your band-name. Although your former band-name was great, too. You guys were right changed it into Danish. It symbolizes you that you're from Denmark.
        About the ESC's songs my favorite singers from your country are Emmelie De Forest (Winner of ESC 2013) and Basim. They have been perfomed irresistible songs. Despite of last year that your country didn't allow to be in Grand Final, they sang really good motivational song.

Comment

I'm excited with what song Iceland goes to the start of the Grand Prix.

Comment

me too!
            Originally posted by Sportastephanie View Post
            I'm excited with what song Iceland goes to the start of the Grand Prix.

Comment

Originally posted by ParvizHalimov View Post
              About the ESC's songs my favorite singers from your country are Emmelie De Forest (Winner of ESC 2013) and Basim. They have been perfomed irresistible songs.
              I'm sorry man, but I just cant take Basim seriously. One thing that most foreigners do not know, is that Basim actually became famous because of X-Factor. This is how I see Basim, and how I will always remember him.

It's insane how far this kid came..

Comment

Originally posted by Fox View Post
                I'm sorry man, but I just cant take Basim seriously. One thing that most foreigners do not know, is that Basim actually became famous because of X-Factor. This is how I see Basim, and how I will always remember him.
                Oooowww :? I didn't know about that.

Comment

The Winner of the 2016's Eurovision Song Contest is Jamala from Ukraine!

Comment

Working...
                  X