Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There is a chance Stephanies last name is.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: There is a chance Stephanies last name is.....

Originally posted by Glanni's Girl View Post
    In the plays, wasn't everyone's last name indicative of their personality?
    Not only in the play, actually in almost the entirety of Iceland. It was very common for an Icelandic to have his surname named after his occupation. I'm really shit at giving examples (because my Icelandic is almost non-existent), but I can help you break it down a bit.

Break it down now! ♫

Glanni Glæpur, a guy that you are obviously very familiar with, is a perfect example. Glæpur means crime in Icelandic, meaning that Glanni Glæpur would be translated to Glanni Crime.
    However, these names are not to be confused with actual surnames, like we have them now a days. No, they were in fact used as "titles" back then!
    So while the literal translation would be Glanni Crime, the correct way of interpreting this would be Glanni the Criminal.

Another character that Stefan displays in the play is Rikki Riki. Riki (or actually Ríki) means rich, and Rikki is of course his name. Put them together and you get... Rikki the Rich (One).

So as you see, surnames back then meant a whole lot other than who your parents might be. I believe many people still, knowing or unknowingly, bear with this former way of doing things. For example, guess where Tom Baker originally got his surname from. Really is staggering, right? ;)
    I'm as sneaky as can be. None's sneakier than me.

Comment

Stephanie's fanon surname has been Meanswell since at least 2008 or 2009 IIRC. That's what a friend of mine always called her.

Comment

The fact that her last name is Meanswell would make perfect since. Course it would be nice if we got to see her Parents at least once

Comment

I get what you're saying, but it just doesn't make sense. I'd suggest watching the first episode and focusing on the metatextual jazz rather than the paint by numbers narrative.

Stephanie is new in town. She arrives to meet her uncle, and he's a dimmunitive, creepy puppet man. Them not sharing a last name is implicit given her distance traveled and their dissimilarity.

Also, it makes no sense for a writer to exclude her surname but focus on her uncle's, if indeed the share a name. Why exclude her's?

It's not unlike the exclusion of a surname during Malcom in the Middle. That fictional universe isn't bereft of surnames, they just play cute when it comes time to address the main characters' name. Fairly Odd Parent did something similar. Now in both cases these were really apparent gags, while here it's more...comedic world building. This gag, and their relationship, helps to ease the actor/puppet divide, especially for kids.

The name 'Splitz' might not have appeared in the show, but in the absence of contradictory and more updated info, that's it.

Comment

This website refers to Stephanie as "Stephanie Sparkles".

http://www.talkingretail.com/product...nking-to-kids/

New ‘Lazy Town’ juices to promote healthy drinking to kids

By Staff Writer in Soft Drinks - 26th March 2012

A new range of refreshing, nutritious and appealing drinks for young children is being launched by Gerber Juice Company, the UK’s leading juice supplier.

A new range of refreshing, nutritious and appealing drinks for young children is being launched by Gerber Juice Company, the UK’s leading juice supplier.
            The Lazy Town range, based on the popular children’s TV show, is free from artificial sweeteners, flavours, colours and preservatives.
            Lazy Town is aimed at 2 -6 year olds. The brand cleverly promotes health through its TV programme by featuring aspirational characters that eat and drink healthily. The juices and smoothies feature the three main characters from the show: Sportacus, Stephanie Sparkles and Robbie Rotten.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 00-09-19 New ‘Lazy Town’ juices to promote healthy drinking to kids.png
Views:	165
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	188249

Comment

Interesting stuff

Comment

Originally posted by LagoonaBlue View Post
                This website refers to Stephanie as "Stephanie Sparkles".

http://www.talkingretail.com/product...nking-to-kids/
                Hmm I've no idea where they came up with that.

Comment

That is neat. Out of everything in that article it'd be odd for them to just make up a last name. Perhaps Sparkles replaced Splitz as the surname at some point in preproduction, either way they likely got that from some official source given how consistent it is.

Comment

Be nice to try some of that juice

Comment

Originally posted by Username View Post
                      That is neat. Out of everything in that article it'd be odd for them to just make up a last name. Perhaps Sparkles replaced Splitz as the surname at some point in preproduction, either way they likely got that from some official source given how consistent it is.
                      It is odd, no doubt. I contacted the site for a source for that, but there's about a 0.2% chance that I'll get one. I'm dubious though.

Originally posted by megadjmatt25 View Post
                      Be nice to try some of that juice

Comment

But it's free from stabilizers. Oh, wait, do you like the crazy ones?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Stingy View Post
                        there's about a 0.2% chance that I'll get one
                        More like .00000002%.

Talking retail: "we have archives?"

Comment

It is odd, no doubt. I contacted the site for a source for that, but there's about a 0.2% chance that I'll get one. I'm dubious though.

I did not mean it that way lol

Comment

Don't feel ashamed. It's the good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mani Svavarsson
                              That´s so weird! I remember this last name being thrown around at one point - but that´s like years before this deal was made - and before LZT even made it to Nickelodeon. I have no clue where this comes from!!
                              So yeah, it looks like Stephanie Sparkles was a name considered during the early development of the TV series. A great find, thanks LagoonaBlue.

Comment

So yeah, it looks like Stephanie Sparkles was a name considered during the early development of the TV series. A great find, thanks LagoonaBlue.
                                No problem. I think it's a weird and interesting last name for her to have though, it sounds like a magical girl name or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X