How to make a song anno 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a song anno 2006

Okay, so you wanna make an international hit, and rank at the top of every dancechart?
    Well then I got good news for you! Because right now, and for the next 5 minutes, I'm gonna tell you the secret to become a recognized artist, and how to make millions of dollars.

And you wanna hear the best part about it? - Everyone can do it.

Yes, that's right, every single one of you out there has the ability to do it. All you need is some basic music software, some less familiar artists to steal from, and last but not least, no moral here in life.
    With that being said, lets just start right away!

Okay, so the first step you want to do, is go out and look for an intro. A song needs to start from something spectacular, and the introduction of any song is the first and most important part to telling your audience who you are. So lets find some others work..

For this small example course, I'm gonna use the song "Deja Vu" by the duo "Lord Tariq and Peter Gunz" (and yes, I'm actually gonna use the part they, themself, didn't steal Update: They even stole this part..)
    I'm only going to use the part from 0:00 to 0:10

Record the sequence, and place it into your program.

Wonderful! Now you're ready to the next step.
    For this one, we need to find an actual song to work out from. We need something that sounded good, but for some reason never really took off.

I'm going to use "Dance Like This" made by "Wyclef Jean". For this one, I'm actually gonna use the entirety of the song, just because I can. It sounds like this:

To actually get the part we need, you need to fullfill some certain requirements. You need to be a Colombian cute little blond, that has the ability to charm yourself in on Wyclef, and perhaps offer him some not-so-LazyTown-friendly favours in return of the access to ruin his song. Don't worry, you can also be a white male with a dope addiction, but more on that later.

If you followed every step of my little tutorial, you should end up with something in the lines of this:

Now you just need to sit back, watch the song you just created rise to the top, check your bank account, and get ready to perform at the FIFA World Cup.

Now.. If you aren't a qt petite blonde, or you for some reason did not succeed in making this track the right way, do not fear, there's still hope for you.
    You can still fall back on the old-age technology of sampling. I will not go too deep into this subject, as it is part of our next semester here at Fox's Musical Academy, but I will provide you with some links you can check out to be up to par when our semester starts.

Link 1
    Link 2

Thank you for taking this course, I hope to have enlightened your view on the "fantastic" process of making "new" and "innovative" music.

Disclaimer: Sarcasm may have been used generously.

-- UPDATE --

It has come to my ear, that Lord Tariq actually too stole the intro. Here's the real, original, genuine, non-stolen song.
    I'm as sneaky as can be. None's sneakier than me.

Re: How to make a song anno 2006

Helpful information!

Comment

Originally posted by ParvizHalimov View Post
      Helpful information!
      Well.. Thank you Parviz.
      Some times it just pisses me off that literally no new music is made. It's rehashing old hits over and over again. This can be good SOMETIMES, but when you have small kids running up to you saying "Oh, they totally stole that from Original-Artist" I get seriously mad.

Another example
      This time Kanye actually got his license to do it, but it's still rehashing as ****

2:01

Comment

Originally posted by Fox View Post
        Now you just need to sit back, watch the song you just created rise to the top, check your bank account
        nice working out Fox...but you can't make much money by selling CD's since the internet, especially the mp3 format has been invented...nowadays the most artists make money with gigs and merchandise...but noway near as much as i.e. in the 70's where the labels earned millions with one single hit...

Originally posted by Fox View Post
        ...when you have small kids running up to you saying "Oh, they totally stole that from Original-Artist" I get seriously mad...
        congratulations...you should be proud when you have kids like that...the most youngsters don't even recognice a cover version of a song from the 70's - 90's...but that's not their fault...I'm surprised as well when I find out that a song I like is actually a oldie from the 40's ;)

this is a proof that the musicians behind the iron curtain mastered the art of plagiarism as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBF6u_Qt-A0
        Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz View Post
          nice working out Fox...but you can't make much money with the sale of CD's since the internet, especially the mp3 format was invented...nowadays the most artists make money with gigs and merchandise...but noway near as much as i.e. in the 70's where the labels earned millions with one single hit...
          Oh yeah, you're right on that one. CD sales have indeed decreased a lot since the glorious days of .AIFF , but don't think that there's not any money in streaming. A signed artist gets $0.0011 for every play on Spotify. Multiply that with 100.000.000 (which a hit can easily get now a days), and you got yourself a whooping $700.000. I know that it's of course not the realistic amount after the recording companies taking their share, but it gives an insight to how much money we're actually dealing with. And this is of course only on one song. Shakira has a combined number of over 300.000.000 plays on her top 5 alone on Spotify.
          Youtube gives $0.0003 for each view.

congratulations...you should be proud when you have kids like that...the most youngsters don't even recognice a cover version of a song from the 70's - 90's...but that's not their fault...I'm surprised as well when I find out that a song I like is actually a oldie from the 40's ;)
          I think I formulated me incorrectly. I meant that people are screaming that the Original-Artist stole the song from the Cover-Artist. In my initial example, they would say that Lord Tariq stole the intro from Shakira. (I have added an update in the original post)
          Here's some pictures that triggers me....
          Click image for larger version

Name:	whostolefromwho.png
Views:	1
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	149152

And just in case you're wondering, here are the different songs mentioned:

Pretty Lights - Finally Moving (Video the comments are from)
          Nightmares On Wax - You Wish (How I initially discovered the sample)
          Players Club - Rappin 4 Tay
          Judy Clay & William Bell - Private Number (The real song all the others sampled from)
          And some more
          Aim - Let the Funk Ride
          Timbuktu - Det Löser Sej
          Represent - Balance & Terror
          And over 20 songs more..

this is a proof that the musicians behind the iron curtain mastered the art of plagiarism as well
          Auch, that one stings. And here I was thinking that Bee Gees actually had some decency. Just goes to prove that literally every band can steal from others.

Comment

How to make and talk about music and very great

:):)any types of music. dance of pop of calming music of others. i really like music so much I sing words - the no words I really liked. anyone in tpyes music of different music very great.

Comment

Re: How to make and talk about music and very great

Originally posted by dce View Post
              i really like music so much I sing words - the no words I really liked.
              Instrumental songs can indeed be a wonderful thing. It takes the focus away from any sexual pop-symbol that may be standing and singing it, and moves all your senses to what really is important - the music.
              Having these thoughts actually made me think of a saying I used to say all the time; "There's only one international language, and that is music", and of course it had to get in my signature!

Fun fact!
              In the band I'm playing, we always skip lightly above the process of making lyrics. Whenever we're jamming, our front singer always just spews out some words. Most of the time he gets it right, and sings something that could pass for a song, but every once in a while he goes totally mental, and just sings about molesting a preachers daughter we once made some music with. It may sound strange, but it actually sounded amazing. It just goes to show what you really can get away with, as long as you have a catchy pop melody. A Danish comedian once made an act out of this exact thing, where he starts with singing about how lovely his relationship with his wife is, and then ends the song by singing about people having their hands cut off, sown to their chins, and then trying to clap... Yeah I know, pretty bizarre, but it's how we Danes like our comedy. ;)
              Link to the song is right here for people interested. Notice how he says "****, ****, ****... ****ing lorte sang" Which means "[what a] ****ing shitty song"

Having the focus on the music itself, and not innuendos, old sayings, and just popsong sentences in general, can be achieved in a number of different ways. One I like really much, is to have the song in a totally different language. This can be applied to why so many people like LazyTown dubs in strange languages, but also just with the annual Eurovision Song Contest.
              This is an example of a song I really like. I do not understand a word of Serbian, but it still gets to me every time. She could be singing about Hitler doing the right thing, her urge to kill small kittens, or even that LazyTown is a shit show, and I would totally still be sitting here baww'ing. It's simply just so beautiful.

Comment

It really is astonishing where these artists get their samples from. Who would have ever thought to take the bathing scene from Coming To America, and sample the music into a rap song?
                No one else than our dear and beloved Snoop!

2m32s

Comment

Guilty :oops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzmwh0Pmrg0
                  Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyPooky View Post
                    Yes, because you earned all of your fame because of that one song. It's not like you made THE LazyTown megamix or anything, no no..

Comment

Okay, so I have been fiddling with this one for a long time, and when I finally found out that one of the most recently famous songs in Denmark was in fact also a sample, I couldn't resist to tell you guys about it.

If you're a Clash fan, I'm sure you have heard about this one.
                      A wonderful song by them, that unfortunately have become less and less popular in the main population.

I'm saying this, because it seems that a well known group could get away with sampling it, and making a totally new song out of it.
                      I'm of course talking about Cypress Hill, and their hit "What's your number?"

And here comes the braintwist.
                      Because back in 2012, a new group emerged in the music industry here in Denmark, and their hit song took the entire country with storm! They revived the dancehall scene in Denmark, a place that had been left untouched for almost a decade.
                      They're called Eaggerstunn, and was a group of two musicians from another very (****ing insanely) famous rapgroup called Bikstok Røgsystem.
                      Not only was their song an instant hit, but the video that followed the song made it go more than viral.
                      I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have listened to this song, but it was only after the hype of it ended that I found out where their riff came from. It was of course a person that linked me to Cypruss Hill, and from there I found The Clash's version.

This just goes out to show, that even though you and your friends are totally into a song, you should not give the artist the full cred. Eaggermann and StunnGunn went gold with the song, and are now famous for a riff, that actually belongs to a group way above their league.

Comment

Everyone does it.. :shame:

Comment

Working...
                        X