Where is number 9 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is number 9 ?

Probably the software engineers at Microsoft watched too much LazyTown and, same as in the show, we will never see a number 9. I still do like windows 7 most and I use that for regular computerwork. I have one PC with winXP and the other with windows 8 which I can upgrade to windows 10. I rarely use it though so I won't upgrade anytime soon.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...-not-windows-9

Click image for larger version

Name:	windows-10-logo-windows-91-640x353.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	153004

Alternative theories for skipping Windows 9

First, an ExtremeTech reader called Benny sent an email to say that the number 9 is considered unlucky in Japan. Microsoft has a big enough presence in Japan that it may have skipped Windows 9 to avoid any weirdness or ill will. Benny says that Trend Micro — a Japanese company — did the same thing a few years ago when it skipped version 9 of its antivirus software.

As dumb and yet amazing as this sounds, it is actually quite feasible that there are still a lot of legacy Desktop apps that use this method (or something similar) to check for Windows 95 or 98. Bear in mind that this is just an example piece of code — some developers will check for the OS name (“Windows…”), some will check for the version number (as discussed in the previous section of this story), and some may use other methods entirely to find out what OS the app is running on.
    Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

I think you can upgrade from 7 to 10 as well. Windows 7 is a solid Windows OS so I'm in no rush to upgrade, but 10 looks promising.

Comment

I've heard that Windows 10 is the very last Windows release we will ever get...everything beyond is a kind of changing specific modules and will be managed via automatic updates
      Gallery

Comment

Working...
      X