Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LazyTown Zine fan created, filled with fanart and stories

Re: Lazypics (part 15)

There was a project going on in the tumblr LazyTown fanbase for quite some time, what was called a "LazyTown Zine," zine being short for "magazine." Basically, a fan created LazyTown magazine, filled with fanart and stories. For the longest time I had no idea what it was, and didn't really bother too hard to find out. A few weeks ago, I finally found out what it was when orders for the project went on sale; you could buy a digital copy for X amount of money, and a physical copy for a little more. All proceeds were going to go to, at the time, Stefán Karl's gofundme, but since the drive was shut down before the project finished, the funds went instead to a drive on Mark Valenti's personal facebook page to a charity for pancreatic cancer. I decided to order one, a physical copy, and it arrived at my house last week.

This is all backstory for the real purpose of this post. In the book, or magazine, or whatever you want to call it, like I said, were various pieces of fanart. There are many great pieces by very talented artists, but in the realm of fanart, however technically skilled you may be in whatever craft you have, it's always difficult to make things that do not take away from or betray the source material. It should be the goal of all fan creations to not to this. But one piece in the project goes above and beyond to not only meet the goal of not taking away from the source material, but instead, does the complete opposite and greatly enhances the source material, something that is rare to come by.

The piece is an imagining of the characters from Áfram Latibær, and it immediately enthralled me. The reason that I like it so much is because of the purity of the vision. In the piece, all of the children characters are shown, as well as Sportacus, but instead of being adults in cheap costumes and ugly stage makeup (not that I don't appreciate the ugliness of Áfram Latibær), the children characters are actually represented as children, and are still very much recognizable as themselves. However, it excels because in my opinion, it captures the whimsy and wholesomeness of LazyTown that Áfram Latibær simply did not have the means to do. What I'm trying to say is, the piece is a truer vision to the idea of LazyTown as it existed in 1997 than the even producers of Áfram Latibær were able to achieve.

I simply decided that it was something that I wanted to see and appreciate every day, so I contacted the artist for a print, and got it printed and framed.

Original image: https://sta.sh/0z83z91ysa2

Click image for larger versionName:	1.jpgViews:	1Size:	2.53 MBID:	150274
    Click image for larger versionName:	2.jpgViews:	1Size:	2.14 MBID:	150275
    Click image for larger versionName:	3.jpgViews:	1Size:	1.37 MBID:	150276

Is that a piece of Icelandic volcanic rock on your table?

Comment

Originally posted by Stingy View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]8866[/ATTACH]
      Oh I'm digging that! Very nice :)

Originally posted by Lazy4Ever View Post
      The volcanic remains of Garðabær perhaps, lol.

Nice looking framed flyer you've got there
      Getur einhver annar verið Glanni ? það bara passar ekki
      Stefan Karl Stefansson, það er enginn eins og þú!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy4Ever View Post
        Originally posted by Glanni's Girl View Post
        The volcanic remains of Garðabær perhaps, lol.
        Glanni's Girl is correct, it's a piece of the building formerly at Miðhraun 4.

Comment

Cool! Great guess Glanni's Girl!

Comment

Working...
          X