Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailed Episode Analysis - 1x17 - Zap It!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailed Episode Analysis - 1x17 - Zap It!

Episode Title: Zap It!
    Season: 1
    Episode: 17
    Production #: 107
    Original Airing Date: June 8, 2005
    Episode Summary: Pixel builds a machine that makes things vanish, thinking that he can help his friends get out of chores the easy way (by not doing them). Too bad Robbie gets a hold of the machine and uses it to make Sportacus vanish! Pixel soon realizes there is no easy way - he didn’t make the chores go away, they’re just invisible. The only way to solve a problem is to roll up your sleeves and do the hard work. Can Pixel right his wrong before all of LazyTown is gone from sight?
    Opening Shot: Sunrise, Sportacus is asleep. He wakes up and makes his bed.
    What Sports/Equipment does Sportacus use? Sportacus uses roller blades and an ice hockey stick to make the bed.
    What does Sportacus eat/drink? Nothing
    Suspension of Disbelief? When Sportacus throws something into the air, he is fast enough to get below it or ahead of it in order to catch it again.
    What Gadgets/Vehicles does Sportacus use? None
    Story by: Matthew Donlan, Martin Carlton, Magnus Scheving
    Episode Written by: Noah Zachary, Cole Louie, Magnus Scheving
    Episode Directed by: Steve Feldman, Jonathan Judge
    Where does the Action mainly take place? The Mayor’s House, Ziggy’s House, Pixel’s House and the Town Centre.
    Recurring Characters present? All except Bessie. Stingy and Trixie really only appear during the Bing Bang song.
    Recurring Characters absent? Bessie
    Guest Appearances / Outsiders: None
    Kid's Challenge/Play/Sport: The kids rooms are really messy and need a clean-up. They have to find a way to clean it quickly and properly. Sportacus is also doing spring cleaning up in his air-ship. He knows how to do it properly. Pixel tries to help by making a device that makes things disappear, but in reality this is just a useless short cut and still leaves the actual work to be done. The kids soon realize their mistake and have to go back and fix things.
    Mini-Save: Ziggy gets stuck under a pile of sticky sweets while looking for a chocolate bar in his bedroom. Sportacus has to dive in and save him.
    Robbie Mad: Robbie doesn’t see the sense in a machine that gets rid of junk, but he can think of at least one thing that he would love to get rid of.
    Robbie Disguise: A little boy in baby clothes whose kite is stuck in a tree.
    Rotten Plan: Robbie plans to “borrow the zapper until he doesn’t need it anymore”. He plans to use it to make Sportacus invisible. He climbs into Pixel’s house and steals the Zapper 6000. Later he actually plans to destroy the Zapper after he has made Sportacus invisible.
    Rejected Disguises: Robbie contemplates using “Groucho Glasses” (the iconic old funny glasses and fake nose disguise), thinking it is a “clever disguise”. But he decides against it. Then he considers going as a knight.
    Robbie's Names for Sportacus: None
    Robbie’s Vehicles/Gadgets: None
    Music Video / Song: "Gizmo Guy” http://www.getlazy.net/wiki/index.php?title=Gizmo_Guy
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSdXuQGjnKo
    Stephanie's Clothes/Special Outfit: None
    Big Save: Sportacus has to rescue the Zapper 6000 from being destroyed by Robbie Rotten and then restore all the invisible things back to visibility.
    Bing Bang Song: Normal, in the Town Centre
    Robbie's Joke / Closing Scene: The Zapper is thrown away by Sportacus, but lands in Robbie’s lair. When it hits the ground it makes Robbie’s underwear disappear.
    Moral Lessons / Point of the Production: When there is work to be done, there are no short-cuts!
    Internal Cross References/Recurring Themes: Robbie’s “I meant to do that!” phrase. Robbie sees little birdies when knocked out.
    External Cross References: Cowabunga, Groucho Glasses,

Credit: Some information and episode Summaries borrowed from the LazyTown Wikipedia Episode Page and the LazyWiki

Discussion Questions:

1. Stephanie has an easel in her bedroom. Does she use that for art and painting?

2. Sportacus is also doing some Spring Cleaning, but when he opens his storage cabinet, the equipment is all different to what was there earlier in the morning when he made the bed. Did he already clean it once today?

3. The game pixel and Stephanie are playing involved monsters and jumping over things. There are obviously many kids games which involve doing such things, but the most famous is Super Marios Bros.

4. Pixel invents a “Zapper 6000” to make the messy things disappear. It seems to have the intelligence though to distinguish between items that should remain and items that should disappear. For example Stephanie’s bed and duvet and her dressing table are still there after all the other messy things have disappeared.

5. There doesn’t appear to be any glass in Stephanie’s window. Either that or she ALWAYS leaves the window open.

6. When Ziggy is looking for his chocolate bar in his messy bedroom. He dives to the bottom of the pile to find it. Before he goes in he gives a shout of Cowabunga! Originating as a greeting by Chief Thunderthud (the only Indian ever to have a moustache) to the Peanut Gallery on the 50's television program "The Howdy Doody Show", the term was later adopted by surfers in the 60's. It was re-ignited on the kids cartoon show, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

7. Sportacus’ crystal not only has the power to tell when someone is in trouble, but can actually let Sportacus know who that person is.

8. The chocolate bar that Ziggy comes up with when Sportacus saves him is the same one that Julianna Rose Mauriello poses with in a famous behind the scenes shot.

9. After the kids run out of Ziggy’s house, Sportacus notices Robbie’s Periscope device and takes a closer look by peering straight into the device. It seems like Sportacus does not know what it is. But later on (in LazyTown’s Greatest Hits) we find out that Stephanie knows what the device is for and that she can speak to Robbie through it.

10. Robbie contemplates using “Groucho Glasses” (the iconic old funny glasses and fake nose disguise), thinking it is a “great disguise”. But he decides against it because nobody would give him anything looking like that. Groucho glasses, also known as the beaglepuss, are a humorous novelty disguise based on the stage makeup that caricature comedian Groucho Marx wore (i.e., large fake mustache, eyebrows, and glasses). They typically consist of black horn-rimmed glasses with attached eyebrows, large plastic nose, bushy moustache, and occasionally with an attached plastic cigar. Considered one of the most iconic and widely used of all novelty items, Groucho glasses were first marketed in the early 1940s and are instantly recognizable to people throughout the world. Groucho glasses today are often used as a shorthand for slapstick.

11. With all of Pixel’s amazing technology, cameras and surveillance, he is not able to detect a guy climbing through his window and stealing from him!

12. When Robbie starts using the Zapper 6000 to try and make Sportacus disappear, Sportacus does not even notice all of the buildings and walls disappearing all around him! But then later, he is able to point out to Pixel all the things that need to be made visible again!

13. The Mayor actually falls and breaks his leg on the junk in Stephanie’s room. Quite a serious consequence!

14. When Sportacus gives the Zapper 6000 back to Pixel, Pixel says “prepare to re-materialize!” But that is not really the correct term as Sportacus was only invisible.

15. The Zapper is thrown away by Sportacus, but lands in Robbie’s lair (It takes an awful long time to land there – see “Suspension of Disbelief” for this episode). When it hits the ground it makes Robbie’s underwear disappear. Robbie is wearing the same underwear that we saw in Lazy Scouts (which he used for the flag).

Comment

Groucho Glasses:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture_NoseGlasses.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	147824

Name:	vlcsnap-00200.png
Size:	543.1 KB
ID:	147828

Comment

Julianna Rose Mauriello poses with the slab of Chocolate from this episode:

Name:	Julianna-Chocolate-Robbies-Chair.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	147825

Comment

Originally posted by LazyGary View Post
          Julianna Rose Mauriello poses with the slab of Chocolate from this episode:
          The weird thing is that the photo was taken 2 months before they recorded the Zap It episode
          More behind the scenes pictures of Zap It here
          Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyPooky View Post
            The weird thing is that the photo was taken 2 months before they recorded the Zap It episode
            More behind the scenes pictures of Zap It here
            I have a suspicion it was in another episode... but I can't remember which one.
            But I am busy with the episodes in order of production.. so I don't think it has been in one yet.

Comment

I have a suspicion it was in another episode... but I can't remember which one.
              But I am busy with the episodes in order of production.. so I don't think it has been in one yet.
              Maybe it was in the episode 'The Lazy Dance' because the photo dates from the time they recorded this episode. Only Stingy knows, he saw the episode afterall.
              Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

Maybe it was in the episode 'The Lazy Dance' because the photo dates from the time they recorded this episode. Only Stingy knows, he saw the episode afterall.
                Aaah, yes... that's a very real possibility!

Comment

Nope, no chocolate bar in Lazy Dance.

Comment

hmmm, then our dates must be wrong somewhere... or maybe the prop was just used for the photo out of time.
                    She looks very young in the photo!

Comment

picture from this episode
                      Taken during the episode 'The Lazy Dance'
                      Originally posted by Stingy View Post
                      ..no chocolate bar in Lazy Dance.
                      I can say with 100% accuracy that my date is right, since I have the original photo which dates January 29, 2004 and I spoke with the owner of the photo. Zap It was made in April 2004.
                      Stingy has seen the whole 'Lazy Dance' movie and would definately have spot the chocolate bar.

..then our dates must be wrong somewhere... Or maybe the prop was just used for the photo out of time.
                      Draw your own conclusion ;)

Comment

Maybe it's.. real? Maybe it's a prop from Ziggy's house that was just being played with?

Comment

Well I dunno... It's a mystery! :p

I think they are the same prop though...

Name:	Julianna-Chocolate-Robbies-Chair.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	147826Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-00251.png
Size:	550.4 KB
ID:	147827

Comment

Comment

;)
                              Originally posted by Sportastephanie View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X