What DONT you Like About Lazytown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What DONT you Like About Lazytown?

I DON'T like the fact they don't appreciate american fans enough to grace us know with, at most, a western tour....

Comment

To be honest, I'm not that crazy with those dance-alongs during the Series Three episodes.

Comment

I kinda miss Trixie's sarcastic attitude from the previous 2 seasons. Now (in season 3), she's all goody-goody.

Comment

Yes I noticed that too. She lost her edge. Apparently she gets some spotlight in S04 so we'll see where it goes.

Comment

i actually hate lasyton. my friend is so the addict to it. its redicolous.

Comment

Re:  What DONT you Like About Lazytown?

I think that a lot of the characters are pretty weak. Stephanie is in good shape (was in better shape before season 3), Stingy is in good shape, and Robbie is in probably the best shape. Ziggy and the Mayor are pretty good, but a little behind. Trixie, Pixel, Sportacus and especially Bessie need some improvement. I think that Pixel and Bessie have good and well-defined concepts, but just need more airtime. However, I think that Trixie and Sportacus need some attention on their character.

Comment

Re:  What DONT you Like About Lazytown?

that sounds about right stingy..well said
                Originally posted by Stingy View Post
                Compare the characters to the 7 deadly sins and everything is easier

Mayor (Lust)
                Ziggy (Gluttony)
                Stingy (Greed)
                Pixel (Sloth)
                Stephanie (Envy)
                Trixie (Wrath)
                Bessie (Pride)

Don't forget Sportacus (God) and Robbie (Satan)

Comment

Re: What DONT you Like About Lazytown?

What I love most about Lazytown is the fun, adventures, music, puppets , effects and magic. That said I'll talk about what I don't like so much.
                  Now I know this is going to sound odd to a few but I've always wished they would tone down the whole eating healthy and Sports candy thing because it comes off as a learning show and yes I know thats what Lazytown tries hard to be at times. Even as a kid I was more of a Muppets fan than a Sesame Street fan because I felt that with Sesame Street I was being tricked in to watching an educational show that was secretly disguised as a normal kid show. Other shows like The Muppets or Fraggle Rock might teach good values but it doesn't come off as preachy . In my young mind there was a time and place to learn or watch educational kid shows and it was call school. When I came home and did my homework I just wanted to sit back and watch fun stuff and I didn't like the feeling I would get when shows tried to preach messages to me even if those messages were good messages. :care:

I always kinda wished Lazytown would be more like a fun Disney type show like Muppet Babies or DINOSAURS :baby: and didn't go out of it's way to tell us that an apple is way better and tastier than a cookie or a lollipop. Which at the end of the day is a small lie since sports candy will never tasted as good as real candy especially to a child. Children don't spend hours on Halloween night going trick or treating for bananas and raisins do they lol

At times I find it a little off putting that the show is so anti candy / junk food. They go out of their way to show Robbie dressed as a green and almost poisoned looking hamburger in an episode to imply that a burger is one of the grossest / worst things you could ever eat in your life which is not entirely true.

I don't think I've ever seen Sportacus ever eat a piece of real birthday cake or any type of real candy. Well how could he the moment Sportacus takes a bite of a candy apple he droop dead on the floor. A guy who works out and eats healthy as much as he does can have a treat from time to time without it knocking him out lol

I ask you this if Robbie is so unhealthy while shown eating mostly cake in every other episode how come he looks like hes in better shape than some of the characters on the show who eat healthier than he does ? He doesn't even have a small Grinch belly. True Sportacus looks better than Robbie but not everyone wants to grow up to be a weight lifter which is whats required to get Sportacus body type.

Robbie = The Devil
                  Sportacus = God

Teach kids that it's important to just keep everything in moderation. Real candy, cake, and hamburgers are not the Devils food if you have them once in a while. lol

I guess we will never get that one episode where Sportacus is shown having one slice of REAL pizza (not sports candy pizza) at a birthday part .

Hope this doesn't upset anyone and if it does sorry. It's just how I've always felt.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyDolly View Post
                    Now I know this is going to sound odd to a few but I've always wished they would tone down the whole eating healthy and Sports candy thing because it comes off as a learning show and yes I know thats what Lazytown tries hard to be at times ... I always kinda wished Lazytown ... didn't go out of it's way to tell us that an apple is way better and tastier than a cookie or a lollipop ... At times I find it a little off putting that the show is so anti candy / junk food. They go out of their way to show Robbie dressed as a green and almost poisoned looking hamburger in an episode to imply that a burger is one of the grossest / worst things you could ever eat in your life which is not entirely true. I don't think I've ever seen Sportacus ever eat a piece of real birthday cake or any type of real candy. Well how could he the moment Sportacus takes a bite of a candy apple he droop dead on the floor. A guy who works out and eats healthy as much as he does can have a treat from time to time without it knocking him out lol ... Teach kids that it's important to just keep everything in moderation. Real candy, cake, and hamburgers are not the Devils food if you have them once in a while. lol.
                    I think you are exactly right, and I think that the issue stems from a larger issue: they never quite figured out how to handle the characters of Stephanie and, much more so, Sportacus.

Back before the TV show, Stephanie was just another brick in the wall essentially. She was there, and played an important part, but was not any more or less of a main character than any of the other denizens. At that point, Sportacus was the role model, and everybody else was some kind of patron saint of a facet of unhealthiness. Stephanie's, of course, was that she was always stiff from not stretching. When the TV show started, Stephanie mostly lost that aspect of her character, became the main character of the show, and became the role model. She was the outsider looking in to LazyTown, just as we, the viewers, are playing the same role. Sportacus mostly remained the same, but all of a sudden, his place as the role model became contested, and they never really understood how to make the two jive together.

Each of the characters, Milford, Bessie, Pixel, Stingy, Trixie, and Ziggy, are all flawed in one way or another, but also have positive aspects to their personality. Milford is caring, Pixel is creative, Stingy is intelligent, Trixie is brave, Ziggy is honest, and Bessie... well, she bakes well. Then you have the two extremes: Robbie who consists of all of their bad sides, and Sportacus who consists of all of their good sides. Finally, Stephanie is between those two extremes and is a much closer example of what "healthy" actually is.

So then what? If Stephanie is the example, what is Sportacus? Is he a better example than Stephanie? The same? A worse one? Obviously, if you break it down, Sportacus is not traditionally what people would call healthy. Eating a sandwich with only lettuce and bell pepper slices for lunch and having an obsessive compulsive bedtime would render them strange in the real world, but it's not really too helpful to get down to that kind of granular level. Perhaps Sportacus is what the children watching should only strive for, unknowing to them, that their dreams are not possible. Maybe it's a kind of, "Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars" thing. Shoot for Sportacus, even if you miss, you'll land among the Stephanies. I think that that is what is at the heart of the character of Sportacus, but I'm not sure if they did a spectacular job nailing that because you're right, it certainly did seem that Sportacus is meant to be the role model, even though he most certainly is not.

Now let's talk about the mask. When Stephanie began to put on that mask and become the hero, oh man, what was that? That decision really diluted both the characters of Stephanie and Sportacus. They both lost a bit of their identity. If Stephanie is now becoming the hero, what is Sportacus? He's nothing, because being a hero is literally all that he has going for him; he is a one dimensional character. And what of Stephanie? Now she is becoming less and less of the example of normality and all of a sudden we have this massive redundancy of characters.

Anyway, it's all pretty much pointless. The kids seem to like it well enough, this is just what happens when an adult analyzes a kids show.

Comment

I think you are exactly right, and I think that the issue stems from a larger issue: they never quite figured out how to handle the characters of Stephanie and, much more so, Sportacus.

Back before the TV show, Stephanie was just another brick in the wall essentially. She was there, and played an important part, but was not any more or less of a main character than any of the other denizens. At that point, Sportacus was the role model, and everybody else was some kind of patron saint of a facet of unhealthiness. Stephanie's, of course, was that she was always stiff from not stretching. When the TV show started, Stephanie mostly lost that aspect of her character, became the main character of the show, and became the role model. She was the outsider looking in to LazyTown, just as we, the viewers, are playing the same role. Sportacus mostly remained the same, but all of a sudden, his place as the role model became contested, and they never really understood how to make the two jive together.

Each of the characters, Milford, Bessie, Pixel, Stingy, Trixie, and Ziggy, are all flawed in one way or another, but also have positive aspects to their personality. Milford is caring, Pixel is creative, Stingy is intelligent, Trixie is brave, Ziggy is honest, and Bessie... well, she bakes well. Then you have the two extremes: Robbie who consists of all of their bad sides, and Sportacus who consists of all of their good sides. Finally, Stephanie is between those two extremes and is a much closer example of what "healthy" actually is.

So then what? If Stephanie is the example, what is Sportacus? Is he a better example than Stephanie? The same? A worse one? Obviously, if you break it down, Sportacus is not traditionally what people would call healthy. Eating a sandwich with only lettuce and bell pepper slices for lunch and having an obsessive compulsive bedtime would render them strange in the real world, but it's not really too helpful to get down to that kind of granular level. Perhaps Sportacus is what the children watching should only strive for, unknowing to them, that their dreams are not possible. Maybe it's a kind of, "Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars" thing. Shoot for Sportacus, even if you miss, you'll land among the Stephanies. I think that that is what is at the heart of the character of Sportacus, but I'm not sure if they did a spectacular job nailing that because you're right, it certainly did seem that Sportacus is meant to be the role model, even though he most certainly is not.

Now let's talk about the mask. When Stephanie began to put on that mask and become the hero, oh man, what was that? That decision really diluted both the characters of Stephanie and Sportacus. They both lost a bit of their identity. If Stephanie is now becoming the hero, what is Sportacus? He's nothing, because being a hero is literally all that he has going for him; he is a one dimensional character. And what of Stephanie? Now she is becoming less and less of the example of normality and all of a sudden we have this massive redundancy of characters.

Anyway, it's all pretty much pointless. The kids seem to like it well enough, this is just what happens when an adult analyzes a kids show.

I'm going to guess that the main reason they turned Stephanie into a positive roll model from the start of the show and have even turned her into a mask wearing super hero is to show little girls that they can also be the hero and that they don't have to sit back and let boys come and save them. I guess they wanted to show girls a strong independent female character even if it compromised who the character is in the process. The show looks progressive to modern day parents watching along with their young daughters as they see a young crime fighting female character jumping into action and the show has something to brag about while doing tv interviews other than what they've normally always talked about during past news network interviews which is how great the show is because it teaches kids to eat healthy in a fun way.

Comment

You hit the nail right on the head there. Stephanie was never meant to be the hero of this story, she was more or less just there.
                        She got introduced to the show to actually get some plots going, and always carried the role as the person to get things started. Literally every plot evolves around Stephanie beginning something, Robbie trying to turn it over, and Sportacus saving the day. Three-act structure all day, every day.
                        If Stephanie was to take over the role as the hero, Sportacus would, as you say, become useless. He would slowly morph into a sidekick, as Stephanie would always be the center of attention because of her leading role in the on-going act.

So what is Stephanie really? She is the audiences neutral point to the story. She's supposed to teach children to take the initiative to actually go out and do something active. She's also there to teach the morale of the story, and to end the story in a rightly manner.
                        So one could say that Stephanie is actually a tool. A tool to get the ball rolling, and to stop it once its reached its target.

Originally posted by LazyDolly View Post
                        I guess they wanted to show girls a strong independent female character even if it compromised who the character is in the process.
                        While I do not totally agree with this, I fear that you could potentially be right.
                        Just look at how the kids are spread out. You have Caucasian ones, an Asian and a Negroid. Doesn't this just scream 21st century ethnic diversity to you?

I can actually imagine angry parents phoning in LTE, to make complaints about the girl being portrayed as the 'weak one', and having to be saved by a 'real man' in every single episode. And while I find it highly unlikely that a company such as LTE would bend down to this peer pressure, it's not totally implausible.
                        I'm as sneaky as can be. None's sneakier than me.

Comment

Remember though that Sportacus started training Stephanie to be a new Superhero all the way back in season 1 (LazyTown's New Superhero - the double length episode).
                          I hear your concerns about the dilution of the roles of the characters, but this is in fact just a natural progression of where the show was already going. ;)

Comment

The fact that it stopped :(

Comment

Originally posted by Tombo View Post
                              Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tombo View Post
                                Aww..

Look at it this way though; it left a huge amount of wonderful memories that will last an eternity.
                                Just like people were crying when John Lennon was shot, or when Michael Jackson passed away, you have to remember that these artists left some memorials for future generations to listen to.

I have no doubt that LazyTown will forever live on, if not on tele then in the hearts of the fans. :)
                                I'm as sneaky as can be. None's sneakier than me.

Comment

Working...
                                X