Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hobbit

Originally posted by moomoo View Post
    I'm sorry to say I was a bit disappointed with the first hobbit movie. And I really wanted to love it, I'd been looking forward to it for quite some time. I even went to see it at 48 fps. But as soon as I saw the dwarves at the beginning of the film very casually performing superhuman feats of dish-juggling I feared my suspension of disbelief would be challenged, and unfortunately I was right. The bit at the end in goblin-town where they effortlesly plow through hundreds of orcs while again displaying superhuman coordination, before dropping hundreds of meters on a big rock and apparently surviving it all without breaking a sweat just had me throwing my hands up in the air.

This isn't kung fu panda, damn it. That sort of thing in a live-action movie just takes all the suspense out of it. How am I supposed to think of these guys as real characters when they constantly (and casually and effortlessly) do stuff that is so far-fetched? Don't give me the 'it's full of elves and dwarves and trolls and you're complaining about this?' crap either, just because it's fantasy doesn't mean it can just disregard all the laws of physics.

I hope the next film eases up on the cartoon physics, but I doubt it.
    I hear you, it didn't sit entirely well with me, though not as severely as you felt it.
    Don't watch the extended version then, cos there is even more of that in it.
    The only thing I can say is that The Hobbit is a children's book and a certain amount of far-fetchedness might be more permissible than the more adult LOTR.
    I know it's not what you want to hear, but there it is anyway.

Comment

Working...
    X