High School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High School

Does anyone get nostalgic about high school? I know that I've been feeling like that on occasion. Mostly, I just think that I could have done a lot better, both academically and socially.

As for the academics, I think I did a lot better in middle school. Things changed during the summer after the eighth grade, when I got inspired by The Incredibles and thought that I wanted to pursue my childhood ambition of becoming a character animator someday. My oldest brother kept nagging at me to be drawing all the time, but I usually had no idea of exactly what to draw and what steps to take.

Eventually, I had to realize that getting into any artistic field may be unrealistic. Deciding on any one particular career while young may be unrealistic. While you're young, education is the main priority. Choosing an appropriate career gets easier when you're going to college.

During the time before I went to college, I decided that I wanted to make a conscious effort to improve myself, so I read a few self-help books and applied what I'd learned. The two by Sean Covey -- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens and The 6 Most Important Decisions You'll Ever Make -- have been the most helpful. By now, I feel like I'm much better at time management. I've earned As in the college courses that I've taken so far.

As for the social dimension, I was usually somewhat introverted. Usually, that was just because I wasn't sure of how to break the ice with interactions. Once I read How to Win Friends and Influence People, I understood socialization more and more, and I even felt more extroverted. Now it's a lot easier for me to start conversations and casually talk with people.

Long story short, I kind of wish I'd been better earlier, but I can't change the past.

For a variety of reasons, I then decided to enlist in the U.S. Army. I've already finished my work on FutureSoldiers.com, and I'm doing PT on my own. Now I'm just waiting until I ship out to Basic.

It may or may not seem like I'm talking too much about myself. It's just that I'm thinking a lot about life and how to make the most if it.

Re: High School

I despised high school until my senior year. That's when I learned how to bend the rules in my favor, how to properly patronize douchebags, get homework done efficiently, and generally how to stop giving so much **** about things. I wish I had come to these realizations sooner, as I could have had so much more fun.

Comment

I entered a new school this year, it's been 3 months and I still don't have friends beside my classmates, I'm not a social person I'm also kinda shy lol, I don't know how to make friends and those coincidences we see on tv like "someone dropped his books -you need help? -thanks -my name's blabla..." don't happen to me, well the bright side of it is that I concentrate more on my studies, but also what I know is that high school days are supposed to be the best days in a person's life, people say that I should change and break this thing but it's not as easy as it sounds, I tried several times but it just didn't work...

Comment

Master Of Disguise, maybe you ought to go to various social events.

I'm trying to think of the name of this one thing, but I can't remember it. :?

I think it's called National Junior Honor Society, or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Of Disguise
          I entered a new school this year, it's been 3 months and I still don't have friends beside my classmates, I'm not a social person I'm also kinda shy lol, I don't know how to make friends and those coincidences we see on tv like "someone dropped his books -you need help? -thanks -my name's blabla..." don't happen to me, well the bright side of it is that I concentrate more on my studies, but also what I know is that high school days are supposed to be the best days in a person's life, people say that I should change and break this thing but it's not as easy as it sounds, I tried several times but it just didn't work...
          I had no friends at school, but I was happy being on my own. If no one is approaching you, then you will have to approach them, which as you rightly said is easier said than done. Try cracking a joke, always worked for me.
          Getur einhver annar verið Glanni ? það bara passar ekki
          Stefan Karl Stefansson, það er enginn eins og þú!

Comment

Originally posted by Glanni's Girl
            Try cracking a joke, always worked for me.
            My attempts at comedy turned out to be very awkward, so I don't usually do that anymore.

Comment

I had no friends at school, but I was happy being on my own. If no one is approaching you, then you will have to approach them, which as you rightly said is easier said than done
              I do feel happy being alone too, but I just wanna try having friends to see if it feels better who knows
              I don't get it, you mean like approaching some random person and tell a joke ?

Comment

[quote=Master Of Disguise]
                Originally posted by "Glanni's Girl":6b5af
                I don't get it, you mean like approaching some random person and tell a joke ? [/quote:6b5af]

Why not?

Comment

[quote=Glanni's Girl][quote="Master Of Disguise":b4c54]
                  Originally posted by "Glanni's Girl":b4c54
                  I don't get it, you mean like approaching some random person and tell a joke ? [/quote:b4c54]

Why not? [/quote:b4c54]
                  wouldn't that be awkward ? x)

Comment

[quote=Master Of Disguise][quote="Glanni's Girl":560a1][quote="Master Of Disguise":560a1]
                    Originally posted by "Glanni's Girl":560a1
                    I don't get it, you mean like approaching some random person and tell a joke ? [/quote:560a1]

Why not? [/quote:560a1]
                    wouldn't that be awkward ? x)[/quote:560a1]
                    Not if you make a dead baby joke.

Comment

Here. You ought to say this:

"Do you want to hear a dirty joke?"

When the person says yes, you continue with this:

"A white horse fell in the mud."

Comment

Originally posted by Stingy
                        Not if you make a dead baby joke.
                        what does that mean
                        Originally posted by PrivateBrain
                        Here. You ought to say this:

Comment

Why did the monkey fall out of the tree?

Comment

lol, nice

Why did the monkey fall out of the tree?
                            'Cause that sucker was dead

Comment

'Cause that sucker was dead.
                              Yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X