LazyTown Curiosities - Stina's robe from Glanni Glaepur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LazyTown Curiosities

Oh bah, guess I misunderstood, I thought there were actual LT comics in like, the real world.

Comment

LazyTown Curiosities

I came across this site awhile ago and im wondering if its true to the character or just fiction??

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/s/sportacus.htm

I know in the original tele-plays he was an elf but is he still an elf in the Nick Jr series? the site lists him a human but the show doesnt mention him being either (to my knowledge anyway, apart from Robbie's joke in 'Sportacus Who').
      And the name- where did it come from??

I would love it if someone could clarify this for me! Thanks!

Comment

LazyTown Curiosities

That backstory where he's Bessie's son and lived in LazyTown as a kid and got bullied by Robbie was on the older official site, you can still find it here.

Notice it also says stuff like 'Like all of us, though, Sportacus isn’t perfect. He’s tempted by all of the alluring vices that LazyTown offers' and 'Each tempting event is an overly dramatic, tense inner war as Sportacus almost succumbs multiple times until, finally, his resolve bursts forth', and 'he often giddily enjoys an activity with the LazyTown kids so much that he forgets the pressing business at hand' - things that don't happen in the show at all. So, I would say that the 'info' on this older website cannot be considered canon.

Comment

LazyTown Curiosities

Thanks for posting that- i will give it a good read.

I know that when alot of tv shows are being created or actors are developing characters they often create a backstory to give it a good motive etc. But its nice to read the 'official backstory'
          It would be great if they would make an episode explaining all of it!

Thanks again!

Comment

LazyTown Curiosities

Well, the Icelandic dub still calls him Íþróttaálfurinn, we never see the tips of his ears, he cannot eat refined sugar (and it's not a matter of glycemic index, as he's eaten watermelon and white bread all right), and his diet appears more suitable for a rabbit than a human being, even a vegetarian one (the highest protein food, and the only cooked one, we ever see him eat is that bread). He also appears to need more sleep than a normal adult human, falls asleep immediately every time, his oddly specific and palindromic bedtime smacks of magic, and he's apparently almost incapable of staying still when conscious -- but lacks all other known symptoms of ADHD. And since 'Lazy Genie' we know that magic does exist in Lazytown, making elves possible even without the past variations of the story to suggest it. Also, his strong reaction to being called a 'blue elf' (even with amnesia) smacks of hitting close to home: I know I'd be more insulted at being called a 'dyke' than an 'abo', in fact, I'd probably laugh, as I'm quite clearly not Aboriginal.

As for the name, I think it's just a smush of the word 'sport' and the name 'Spartacus'.

Half the info on that page looks like things that were considered during planning stages* , but are now in contradiction to the show we're seeing.

* like Bessie being his mom, which makes no sense now as she quite clearly didn't have prior knowledge of his existence in 'Welcome to Lazytown', let alone any sense of a family relationship with him in any episode; him being originally from Lazytown, as he had to look the place up in a book when first called there in 'Welcome to Lazytown'; the origin story, as 9 once also served Lazytown, but long enough ago that the mayor, who would have to be older than Sportacus if Bessie was his mum, doesn't have a strong memory of him, if he even ever met him.

Edit: I started typing before moomoo posted. Just to clarify.

Comment

LazyTown Curiosities

Originally posted by kelly
              Well, the Icelandic dub still calls him Íþróttaálfurinn, we never see the tips of his ears, he cannot eat refined sugar (and it's not a matter of glycemic index, as he's eaten watermelon and white bread all right), and his diet appears more suitable for a rabbit than a human being, even a vegetarian one (the highest protein food, and the only cooked one, we ever see him eat is that bread). He also appears to need more sleep than a normal adult human, falls asleep immediately every time, his oddly specific and palindromic bedtime smacks of magic, and he's apparently almost incapable of staying still when conscious -- but lacks all other known symptoms of ADHD. And since 'Lazy Genie' we know that magic does exist in Lazytown, making elves possible even without the past variations of the story to suggest it. Also, his strong reaction to being called a 'blue elf' (even with amnesia) smacks of hitting close to home: I know I'd be more insulted at being called a 'dyke' than an 'abo', in fact, I'd probably laugh, as I'm quite clearly not Aboriginal.

As for the name, I think it's just a smush of the word 'sport' and the name 'Spartacus'.

Half the info on that page looks like things that were considered during planning stages* , but are now in contradiction to the show we're seeing.

* like Bessie being his mom, which makes no sense now as she quite clearly didn't have prior knowledge of his existence in 'Welcome to Lazytown', let alone any sense of a family relationship with him in any episode; him being originally from Lazytown, as he had to look the place up in a book when first called there in 'Welcome to Lazytown'; the origin story, as 9 once also served Lazytown, but long enough ago that the mayor, who would have to be older than Sportacus if Bessie was his mum, doesn't have a strong memory of him, if he even ever met him.

Edit: I started typing before moomoo posted. Just to clarify.
              Oh, so, he's an obnoxious vegan with ADHD and sleeping issues.

Comment

LazyTown Curiosities

Originally posted by kelly
                him being originally from Lazytown, as he had to look the place up in a book when first called there in 'Welcome to Lazytown'; the origin story, as 9 once also served Lazytown, but long enough ago that the mayor, who would have to be older than Sportacus if Bessie was his mum, doesn't have a strong memory of him, if he even ever met him.
                Mayor Meanswell doesn't remember #9, but the supposedly younger Robbie very clearly does.

And the book that Sporty reads is "The History of LazyTown: 1703-1903", which must be very out of date, unless the series is set in the 30s, and Pixel is just an uber-genius.

Plus, Robbie constantly calls Sporty "the blue elf" throughout season 1 as an insult.
                I think this means Sporty is human (well, ish) and it's just a jibe at his costume, as if he actually was an elf it'd be a lot less derogatory.
                Unless it's race hate, but I doubt they'd put that in LazyTown.

Comment

LazyTown Curiosities

Hm.. as for what Sportacus is on the show, they've left it pretty open. You can argue for either side but it's not conclusive. So I would say, if anything, they're suggesting he's human, but leaving it so if they ever want to change that, it would still make sense and agree with the show. I would like to hope he really is an elf !

Comment

LazyTown Curiosities

BTW, lazy_airship, I love your avatar! ^_^ I have another screencap from that scene where robbie is looking at him as he is against the tree..lol...

anyways, I like to think he is an elf too. In the stageplay he had elf magic dust I remember. The show contradicts itself alot so there is no way to pin down certain things. I just don't understand how he could never have known about lazytown when he was so close to it in the 1st episode. I still wonder if the town was settled by Rottenbeard or something. Remember the "old book with the pirate story in it" and the pirate and "hero" from long ago that just happened to look like Sportacus and Robbie. lol.

Comment

LazyTown Curiosities

Also, remember Magnus is pretty short(most athletes are, really), so when Stefan calls him an elf on the show, he's most likely just implying that he's as tall as an elf.

Hell, by the looks of it, Julianna is taller than him.

Comment

LazyTown Curiosities

I thought that originally he was an elf in the plays but perhaps in the new series he changed the character a bit. Who knows- perhaps its open to speculation.

Is he really that short? how short is he?

Comment

LazyTown Curiosities

Originally posted by moomoo
                          He’s tempted by all of the alluring vices that LazyTown offers
                          Yeah like Stephanie.

Comment

LazyTown Curiosities

Originally posted by lazy_airship
                            I thought that originally he was an elf in the plays but perhaps in the new series he changed the character a bit. Who knows- perhaps its open to speculation.

Is he really that short? how short is he?
                            5' 8½" (1.74 m) according to imdb
                            Julianna is 4' 11½" (1.51 m) (also according to imdb), though she was that height a long time ago, who really knows how tall she is now, I just know that in the current season she's definitely at least 5' 9"
                            I'm 6 ft. So, he's short to me.

Comment

LazyTown Curiosities

She's... not taller than Sportacus.

Comment

LazyTown Curiosities

Also in Dr. Rottenstein, after Ziggy eats the carrot, you hear a few bars from John William's Superman theme.

Comment

Working...
                                X