The Technique Behind LazyTown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Technique Behind LazyTown

Maybe there is someone who like to know more about the technique used to make/film/produce/etc. LazyTown. I could not find any topic about this specific subject. I'm interested and want to know more about it although it's pretty tough and heavy stuff if you don't know much about it. Just read the following:

A Grass Valley Viper FilmStream camera is used with three 9.2-million- pixel CCDsis which capture images at 1920x1080 resolution. In FilmStream mode the Viper camera records unprocessed and uncompressed video in 10 bit RGB 4:4:4 at 24p (1920x1080, 23.976fps) to disk.
    The Viper camera's have Zeiss DigiPrime telephoto lenses (the Zeiss DigiPrime T1.6 70mm CF and the Zeiss Digi-Zoom T1.9 17-112mm)

Greenscreen images (we have seen the images from behind the scene pictures) captured by the Vipers are sent to an Ultimatte HD system for keying and are stored on a 60TB SAN for universal mastering.

To record the Viper’s 4:4:4 RGB output, they used DVS CineControl, Drastic Technologies WVW series digital disk recorder and Baytech CineRAM.

The CG backgrounds (the background which we see on TV) are created by 12 artists using Alias Maya, Kaydara’s Online virtual set software and Apple’s Shake.
    The thousands of virtual backgrounds elements (which were mostly created in Maya), were formatted in Motion Builder and stored on Render Blades.

The camera head and crane are motion controlled with each axis encoded so the movement (focal length, tilt and camera height) are matched exactly to the backgrounds. Whenever the camera and background’s match the animatic, the data (DPX files) is sent to the VFX department before being brought together for conform and finish on a DS Nitris.

The Viper’s 4:4:4 streams are sent to an MCR-type room:
    One feeds an Avid Adrenaline, compressed into Avid DNxHD (codec) for immediate logging and editing and after that recorded to a 15Tb Unity for further offline editing.
    The other, identical, stream goes to a DVS Clipster (with 30Tb) maintained as DPX files from which the Alpha channel is extracted for keying foregrounds and backgrounds.

Online editing and color correction use Iridas SpeedGrade.

Once each episode is finalized, DPX files are recorded to a Sony SRW-5000 RGB VTR.

All is stored as raw files on a 40 Tb Xyratex server

One episode of 30 minutes costs almost $500,000 (half million dollars)

Video's of Magnus Scheving and Raymond Le Gué about the techical aspects of LazyTown:

1. Avid visits LazyTown - Making it happen

2. Avid visits LazyTown - The Work flow

3. Avid visits LazyTown - Making it pay

vipers.jpg

Sigvaldi J. Kárason, Lazytown’s Director (left), and DP Tómas
    Örn Tómasson (right) with the three Thomson Vipers.
    Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Re: The technique behind LazyTown

It's true she can't negate
    She's just a gizmo babe

Comment

Is Sigvaldi Gudmundur's brother?

Comment

Originally posted by xjocundxlilacx
        Is Sigvaldi Gudmundur's brother?
        Who knows. But I'm pretty sure that there are only about 12 last names in Icelandic.
        A little bit of incest goes a long way. Boby? Pooky? You know what I'm saying?
        I keed, I keed.

Comment

COOL

I love stuff like this!

Comment

Currently beyond my understanding. I only understood some bits here and there. :) I think you had an Avid/LazyTown interview linked in your signature before, I forgot to tell you the source of it which you probably already know by now. =P Link: http://www.avid.co.uk/uk/profiles/lazytown/intro.asp

There are also slightly better quality videos there when compared to the ones at the lazytown.biz site.

Comment

Originally posted by nindanjoe
              Currently beyond my understanding. I only understood some bits here and there. :) I think you had an Avid/LazyTown interview linked in your signature before, I forgot to tell you the source of it which you probably already know by now. =P Link: http://www.avid.co.uk/uk/profiles/lazytown/intro.asp

There are also slightly better quality videos there when compared to the ones at the lazytown.biz site.
              Same here, I only wrote a summary of what I read without exactly knowing what it was all about. I got my info from these articles:

Tech articles
              Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by pooky
                ...All is stored as raw files on a 40 Tb Xyratex server....
                I wonder if this means they stored all seasons on 40 TB or just one episode...I reckon one episode because 40 TB are not even much (just 20x of BJ HD :) )...and I hope the done more than one HD backups and they have at least one copy placed in a bonker...because anything can happen...fire, earthquake, flooding, stealing etc...it would be such a pity for this whole work...
                Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz
                  I wonder if this means they stored all seasons on 40 TB or just one episode...I reckon one episode because 40 TB are not even much (just 20x of BJ HD :) )...and I hope the done more than one HD backups and they have at least one copy placed in a bonker...because anything can happen...fire, earthquake, flooding, stealing etc...it would be such a pity for this whole work...
                  Well if you downloaded the articles I posted you could read in one of them:

LazyTown has a 11:1 shooting ratio (“an extreme luxury” says Le Gué) with all footage stored as raw files on a 40 Tb Xyratex server “in case Magnus wants to use a stunt we shot and rejected for series one episode 24,” he notes.

;)

Comment

Well if you downloaded the articles I posted you could read in one of them:

LazyTown has a 11:1 shooting ratio (“an extreme luxury” says Le Gué) with all footage stored as raw files on a 40 Tb Xyratex server “in case Magnus wants to use a stunt we shot and rejected for series one episode 24,” he notes.

;)
                    hm...I can't make it out..."all footage" of what? one episode?..the whole LT stuff?...pls explain...
                    Gallery

Comment

hm...I can't make it out..."all footage" of what? one episode?..the whole LT stuff?...pls explain...
                      Yeah, I think he means everything they've ever shot for Lazytown, which seems a bit unbelievable because they must have had a lot of takes. But he seems to be implying that they've kept everything.

Comment

one episode?..the whole LT stuff?...pls explain...
                        DEFINATELY the whole thing haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Stingy
                          DEFINATELY the whole thing haha.
                          ...the whole thing on 40 TB?...ok...but I have my doubt yet...although you can save 120 hours of hd videos on 1 TB space...maybe you have a point there...
                          Gallery

Comment

...the whole thing on 40 TB?...ok...but I have my doubt yet...although you can save 120 hours of hd videos on 1 TB space...maybe you have a point there...
                            OK follow me here:

40TB = 40,000GB , and they talk about first season so 34 episodes. 40,000/34 = 1176GB per episode

one episode is like 30 minutes, they left out all the bloopers, so 1176/30 = 39.2GB per minute or 39.2/60 * 1000 = 650MB/s
                            so that would be a stream of 650MB/s. Hmm, the fastest harddisk is less fast than that, I guess around 100MB/s so 6 times slower.

Back: 100MB/s = 6GB/minute ==> 180GB per episode, so for 34 episodes you need 6120GB or 6,12TB
                            That's 6,12/40 * 100 = 15.3% used

so you can store 6 times more on that disk, that's 34*30*6 = 6120 minutes or 102 hours. Got it ? ;)

Comment

...Got it ? ;)
                              JA ! danke...
                              Gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X