• Magnús Scheving Interview (18/6/2010)

Magnus Scheving Interview - june 18, 2010

New Magnús Interview!!!

Greetings,
    LTW

--------
    Magnús Scheving (18/6/2010)

Date: Friday, 18th June 2010

Thanks to: Bryndís because she sent the questions, Máni because he sent to me the answers anddd thanks to Magnús for answer them!!

LazyTown Present:

1. Why does Robbie Rotten have a fake chin, and why does he have such crazy eyebrows?
    We wanted to mix together 3 worlds; live actors, CGI and puppets. By exaggerating certain features in the live actors we manage to blend those worlds together and make everything look more “cartoony”.

2. Is there a longer version of rock your socks off? Or is it played in its entirety in the episode?
    No, we don´t have a longer version of that song. We only needed it to be long enough until Robbie pulled the chord out of the player!

3. Who caused the most outtakes?
    The biggest problems we had was when the hands or heads of the puppeteers accidentally were seen in the frame. But I guess I was the one to blame for the most outtakes. I´m not a trained actor like the others, so I often forgot my lines etc. I also directed the majority of the shows and often had to think about many things at once.

LazyTown Future:

1. Will LazyTown Extra be released on Blu-Ray/DVD?
    It hasn´t been decided yet but I hope so. LazyTown Extra is a special format as part of it was shot in the LazyTown studios and part of it is shot in the country that it´s produced in. I´m very happy with the outcome of this format and proud that we started something that hasn´t been done before. This brings LazyTown closer to the audience in each territory.

2. Do you plan to add some new LazyTown stuff, specially episodes?
    We constantly think about doing more LazyTown material. At this time I can´t promise new episodes, like the classic ones we know, but I´m hopeful we will produce more material soon.

3. Have you thought to add new characters in the TV Series?
    Not really. We may have some guest characters, like we did with the Genie and Little Sportacus, but I don´t think we would add another character to the town.

4. Have you ever thought to create a LazyTown thematic park and where it would be? It would be only for children or would you include adults also in such a project?
    I love the idea of a LazyTown theme park and we´ve talked about it many times. It would definitely be for the whole family and be action based. Just imagine – going on a rollercoaster that you have to pedal!!

Latibær Musical:

1. Why are there such stark contrasts between the two musicals?
    The first musical, “Áfram Latibær!” was based on the original idea of LazyTown. It tells the story of Sportacus coming to LazyTown for the first time. After that show, I wanted to continue to work on the Art work of LazyTown and spent a couple of years doing so. We changed the costumes of the characters and so on. I still have fond feelings towards the original look but I want things to evolve. That´s why the second musical had different costumes, more color in the set design etc.

2. Will you ever release your Latibær Blu-Ray/DVDs (with English, Spanish, etc. subs) and the three books you wrote in 1991 in the International Market?
    We don´t have plans for it at the moment but I´m sure it will be done some day.

3. Why Pixel didn't keep his green hair? And why Trixie didn´t keep her red hair?
    There´s no particular reason for it – except I think the other/new colors look better.

Personal Questions:

1. What is your favorite thing about shooting LazyTown?
    It´s basically the whole process of film making. It´s so gratifying seeing a small story on a single piece of paper grow and grow and end up as a beautiful episode. I love building things and TV production is exactly that – you´re building.

2. What do you think about having such a huge teen and adult audience?
    It´s simply amazing. I always hoped that all age groups would like LazyTown and it has come true. I wanted to make children´s material that siblings, parents and even grand parents could enjoy. Too many times I´ve witnessed parents talking badly about the tv material their children are watching. I´m really proud that LazyTown has such a broad audience.

3. What are you doing in those days?
    I travel a lot, meeting existing and potential partners. We´re also working hard on the script for the LazyTown Movie. It´s coming along slowly but surely.

4. If you could swap lives with anyone else for the day, who would you swap with and why?
    Honestly, I don´t want to swap lives with anyone. I´m happy exactly where I am now.

5. What does the ideal future of LazyTown look like for you?
    I want to see LazyTown keep on growing. I want to see an on-line LazyTown Club become a reality and I would love to take my family to the LazyTown movie!

6. The time is running and, of course, you are older. Have you thought replace yourself in the next possible show stages?
    Of course I think about it. I´m realistic and know that I can´t do all these jumps for the rest of my life, without hurting myself.

7. You talked once about to promote a LazyTown fundation to help children and young people. What is happening with that idea?
    It´s on the drawing board. There are so many good things that could come from that and I really want that to happen.

8. If LazyTown will go on and because of the world financial crisis, have you thought to move the show from Iceland to other site?
    I haven´t thought about it and doubt we would move the production. There are so many talented people in Iceland and also we have built up a whole studio, just around this one show.

9. The LazyTown Movie still is in your mind? What happened with it? Lack of sponsors or waiting a better strategic moment to launch it?
    Good things take time and I want the story to be perfect. We´re still working on the script and many great ideas have come up. I´m really excited about this project and hope we can move it forward shortly.

10. Have you ever sang in LazyTown plays (90' or TV International show)?
    I´m a perfectionist – and I want Sportacus to have the perfect singing voice. Unfortunately, I don´t have the greatest singing voice and therefore I decided to have Matthias Matthiasson, a brilliant Icelandic talent, sing for Sportacus. He has been Sportacus´s singing voice all the time.

11. Recently were launched sucessfully LazyTown plays in Spain and Portugal. Did you expect such a sucess in those countries?
    I knew that LazyTown was strong in those countries but this success blew me away! I think every single show was sold-out. We have amazing partners in these countries and their hard work is to thank for this great success.

12. Have you noticed a different reaction or behaviour from children respect to your shows in all the countries that you have visited? For instance, you said Colombian kids were a little more participative than UK kids respect to LazyTown Extra episodes.

It´s hard to say really. I know that kids all over the world have started to move after seeing a LazyTown episode. But it´s something in the Latin American culture that seemed to shine through, especially on the Live shows. Maybe it´s because music and dance are such a strong factor in their culture. Children are used to sing and dance with their families, and when a show comes on that encourages them to do exactly that, they just joined in naturally.

13. When you were young, did you you ever imagine to be working as part of something important like LazyTown project pursues?
    Thinking back, maybe everything I did was guiding me into this direction, but I never imagined that I would be so lucky to take part in this great adventure.

14. Did you have a favorite superhero, and did that hero influence what you looked for when creating Sportacus?
    Like I said, I was just a normal boy and boys love superheroes. Maybe he wasn´t a superhero, but I loved Bruce Lee and his movies. He had such a feel for his body movements and I remember coming out of the cinema, acting out whole scenes from the movie with my friends. I wouldn´t say Sportacus is influenced by any one superhero. He is the mixture of many many things I grew up with.

15. What is your favorite food?
    I would say it´s fresh Icelandic fish. I´ve traveled all over the world and eaten at hundreds of extremely good restaurants, but I still haven´t tasted anything that beats the Icelandic fish.

16. How you train your stuntpeople, or was that already done?
    The stunt guys were highly trained before they came here – but still we had to train them, or rather make up a style with them that would fit Sportacus. We don´t want things to look violent or aggressive. We also wanted everything to look effortless. The key behind Sportacus´s jumps and moves is that they are all real – meaning we didn´t use wires etc. If you train hard enough, you can do those jumps.

17. What's your favorite animal? Do you have any pet(s) at home?
    I love animals and I think dogs are my favorite. We don´t have any pets.

18. You have a big sense of humour but, in your travels happened something uncomfortable and you thought "this can´t happen to me"?
    One time I was performing as Sportacus. After the show I came back to my hotel room, wearing the costume. It has a zipper on the back and I couldn´t reach it. So I had to go out on the hallway and ask the next person that came along to help me to un-zip it. It was a middle aged woman, and this must have looked really strange for her. I imagine she is still telling that story to friends!

19. What do you have to say about those critics that talk about the "sexual nature" used on your show specially the interaction between an adult character as Sportacus is and the little girl character performed by Julianna as Stephanie? It is any kind of television strategy to sell your show more easily?
    I have no idea what those critics are talking about.

20. Entertainment business has been always a fight between creativity and talent against economic created interests and financial expectations. You have said also that you never would compromise your vision or goals when you create and participate on a kids show like LazyTown project. After all these past years and after a world financial crisis, have you done any sacrifices or concessions in order to keep your shows (TV and/or live presentations) on the top?
    Short answer for a long question - no :)

21. If you had managed to become an architect, do you think you still would have created LazyTown?
    This is a difficult question! I´m sure that whatever I would have done, it would have been connected to children´s health. Maybe I would have designed cool gym´s for schools! That´s something that many schools are still missing.

22. If in the future a film based on your life is done, other than yourself, who would be the perfect actor to perform it?
    It´s so hard to answer those kind of questions. I would not be the right person to judge that – I would trust the director to make the right choice.

Extra Questions:

1. Well, my name is Ana, I am the webmistress of the Fan Club website´s and I would like ask to you something Mr. Scheving, I have a almost 19 years old and now I have decided to learn the tricks of Sportacus, but my parents say that I'm too old to learn and friends who are graduates in physical education feel the same, what should I do?
    Well, your parents and friends might be right. To be able to all the really acrobatic stuff you see Sportacus doing, one has to have practiced for a long long time. But the good news is, that many things Sportacus does you can do if you start practicing now. Simple jumps, walking on hands etc. My recommendation for you is to take it easy, take it step by step! LazyTown is all about balance. I don´t want everyone to be able to move like Sportacus – and I don´t want everyone to be lazy like Robbie. Find your balance in between the two of them and you´re in good shape.

2. Have you seen this fan club before? If the answer is "yes", could you say something to us?
    This is the first time I see this fan club. I want to thank everyone for their interest, hard work and time they have given LazyTown. It´s fans like you that encourage me and my team to keep on going.

THANKS TO YOU MAGNÚS AND TO YOUR AMAZING TEAM FOR MAKE THIS INCREDIBLE TV SERIES!
    Attached Files

Re: Breaking News!!!

Great interview! Thanks =)

Comment

Awesome !!
      Thanks Ana
      Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

Thanks!! Please, go to Guestbook for your opinions about the Interview, your best parts and your opinions about the Website.

Comment

Yes! Thanks for the interview Ana, he even answered my question!!

Comment

Sweet! Answered all my questions.

Comment

interesting interview but...

"...It hasn´t been decided yet but I hope so.."
              "...I´m hopeful we will produce more..."
              "...I´m sure it will be done some day..."
              "...It´s coming along slowly..."
              "...I really want that to happen..."
              "...we can move it forward..."

sorry....that's boring
              Gallery

Comment

[youtube]1D1cap6yETA[/youtube]

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz
                  interesting interview but...

"...It hasn´t been decided yet but I hope so.."
                  "...I´m hopeful we will produce more..."
                  "...I´m sure it will be done some day..."
                  "...It´s coming along slowly..."
                  "...I really want that to happen..."
                  "...we can move it forward..."

sorry....that's boring
                  Speaking honestly, I would agree with you, not exactly boring.. just not enough information :?

Comment

All the interviews are the same for me.
                    "We would like so"
                    "I haven't decided"
                    We want answers, No what you think Magnus"

Comment

He can't answer questions he doesn't know the answers to people!
                      Getur einhver annar verið Glanni ? það bara passar ekki
                      Stefan Karl Stefansson, það er enginn eins og þú!

Comment

I was happy that he at least said he's working on the movie...and he answered 2-3 of my questions!

Comment

Originally posted by Glanni's Girl
                          He can't answer questions he doesn't know the answers to people!
                          Well he could, but they wouldn't be truthful answers.

Bookmarking this interview now, will read it when I have some downtime.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus
                            "It hasn´t been decided yet but I hope so"
                            "We constantly think about doing more LazyTown material"
                            "I´m sure it will be done some day"
                            "I want to see LazyTown keep on growing"
                            "I want to see"
                            "It´s on the drawing board"
                            "....and hope we can move it forward"
                            blah blah blah same old crap nothings ****ing happening.

Originally posted by Interview
                            19. What do you have to say about those critics that talk about the "sexual nature" used on your show specially the interaction between an adult character as Sportacus is and the little girl character performed by Julianna as Stephanie? It is any kind of television strategy to sell your show more easily?
                            why would you even ask that? there is no "sexual nature" between sportacus and stephanie, it's a kids show for crying out loud!

Comment

Originally posted by Interview
                              why would you even ask that? there is no "sexual nature" between sportacus and stephanie, it's a kids show for crying out loud!
                              For tell you the truth, when I read again the questions, I realised of that and I thought "What!!! Why sent I this?" and two more questions I sent and they are stupid questions too, another question I repeated it again in another part of the Interview... , so, this time the Interview had... mistakes, and big mistakes, but well... , at least it is a good interview.

Comment

Working...
                              X