Fears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fears

A fear of heights is completely rational. Mostly ones that bring pain or distress are rational. To a certain extent I think the default state of the world is already dystopian. The things you describe in essence have been happening for most of human history. The sci-fi stuff won't get very far because it's easier to destroy things than create them. So we'll just take baseball bats to everything that is dumb. This is all scary to think about but will remain a twisted fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by UnLearnEd View Post
      A fear of heights is completely rational
      Yup, I read everyone is "born with" a fear of heights and loud noises, and everything else we pick up along the way.
      Getur einhver annar verið Glanni ? það bara passar ekki
      Stefan Karl Stefansson, það er enginn eins og þú!

Comment

Originally posted by DRB319 View Post
        I worry about a lot of things since I have an anxiety disorder that is getting worse (but I'm learning to manage)
        Same. I recognize a lot of the things you mentioned. One of my biggest fears is people shunning me and not being accepted, regardless of how minor the missteps I may have made are. Doing the wrong thing in general is something I'm very, very worried about, constantly, and I always think everything is my fault. I have a big conscience but that has its downsides.

Another fear I have that is kind of weird is that I'm afraid of poking my eyes or that something will get permanently stuck below my eyelids and my eyeballs will be forever ruined. I can't bear to watch other people pulling down the skin below their eye either. When something is wrong with my own I completely lose it. I think this started with a boy I went to kindergarten with saying that if you pulled down the skin below the eye for too long it would get stuck like that. I know that's stupid now of course, but the thought of it was so horrifying that the fear has stayed with me for my entire life (even though it's gotten slightly better in recent years).

Oh, right. Also, the subway. Standing too close to the rails. For some reason, ever since I was a little kid, I have had extremely realistic nightmares about falling down from the platform and not being able to get up before the train gets there. I have no idea how many times I've had variations of that nightmare. Sometimes the platform is covered in soap and I slip on it so I glide towards the edge until half my body is on the platform and half of it is off. Sometimes people on the platform try to help me get up, sometimes it's just me jumping, but I can't ever really reach it and I'm so stressed by the fear that the train will arrive that I can't bring myself to act in a rational way anyway. A few times, the dreams have felt so real that I've even thought to myself: "To think that I've had this nightmare so many times, and now it's actually happening in real life!" Imagine my relief on those occasions when I finally woke up … Anyway, because of this, I am literally INCAPABLE of walking close to the rails, especially if there's a big crowd. I prefer to wait until they have passed. I can't be any closer to the edge than about a meter. I also get nauseous very easily so flying on a plane or even riding some carousels will have me worrying, for good reason, that I'm going to throw up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotten Robot Hound View Post
          Another fear I have that is kind of weird is that I'm afraid of poking my eyes or that something will get permanently stuck below my eyelids and my eyeballs will be forever ruined. I can't bear to watch other people pulling down the skin below their eye either. When something is wrong with my own I completely lose it. I think this started with a boy I went to kindergarten with saying that if you pulled down the skin below the eye for too long it would get stuck like that. I know that's stupid now of course, but the thought of it was so horrifying that the fear has stayed with me for my entire life (even though it's gotten slightly better in recent years).

Oh, right. Also, the subway. Standing too close to the rails. For some reason, ever since I was a little kid, I have had extremely realistic nightmares about falling down from the platform and not being able to get up before the train gets there. I have no idea how many times I've had variations of that nightmare. Sometimes the platform is covered in soap and I slip on it so I glide towards the edge until half my body is on the platform and half of it is off. Sometimes people on the platform try to help me get up, sometimes it's just me jumping, but I can't ever really reach it and I'm so stressed by the fear that the train will arrive that I can't bring myself to act in a rational way anyway. A few times, the dreams have felt so real that I've even thought to myself: "To think that I've had this nightmare so many times, and now it's actually happening in real life!" Imagine my relief on those occasions when I finally woke up … Anyway, because of this, I am literally INCAPABLE of walking close to the rails, especially if there's a big crowd. I prefer to wait until they have passed. I can't be any closer to the edge than about a meter. I also get nauseous very easily so flying on a plane or even riding some carousels will have me worrying, for good reason, that I'm going to throw up.
          Those fears are understandable; I've had a fear of getting a dandelion seed stuck in my eye ever since it happened to me once when I was 6 or 7 years old. I had to get the dandelion seed removed with anesthesia, but I was fine once I got it removed. I didn't have any infections in my eye or anything, but my eye was really itchy and a little swollen for a few days before. I honestly don't know how the dandelion seed actually got stuck under my eyelid, but I think the wind had something to do with it. I think it's pretty unlikely to have something get stuck under your eyelid to the point where you need to get the foreign object removed at the hospital, and the thing that happened to me is probably some kind of fluke that wouldn't happen to many other people.

Comment

Originally posted by DRB319 View Post
            Those fears are understandable; I've had a fear of getting a dandelion seed stuck in my eye ever since it happened to me once when I was 6 or 7 years old. I had to get the dandelion seed removed with anesthesia, but I was fine once I got it removed. I didn't have any infections in my eye or anything, but my eye was really itchy and a little swollen for a few days before. I honestly don't know how the dandelion seed actually got stuck under my eyelid, but I think the wind had something to do with it. I think it's pretty unlikely to have something get stuck under your eyelid to the point where you need to get the foreign object removed at the hospital, and the thing that happened to me is probably some kind of fluke that wouldn't happen to many other people.
            No, I've never heard of something like that happening to anyone else, so it has to be really uncommon! Sounds absolutely terrifying, if it was me I would panic!!! It's great that it worked out at least … The only things I have actually gotten stuck in my eye is dirt (just wipe it away, no biggie) and eyelashes. My eyelashes are really long so several times one of them has accidentally bended itself at the wrong angle and ended up under my lower eyelid. It hurts like crazy. Those have been the times where I've been forced to overcome my fear because the only way I could remove it was to use one cotton swab to pull down the skin and see the whole eyelash, and another cotton swab to actually get it out.

Comment

Spiders and dentists.

Comment

I have too many fears to write down haha

Comment

Needles, bees, anything that can hurt me rly lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Stingy View Post
                    Aight so I said above that I have a fear of whales.
                    To expand, I have a fear of the ocean. We have not fully explored the ocean and we don't know what kind of scary shit might be down there.
                    I'm the opposite, I'm fascinated by the ocean.
                    But I'm scared of needles

Comment

My fear? The possibility that LazyTown will not continue in any form in the near or distant future.

Comment

Originally posted by Stingy View Post
                        My biggest irrational fear is of whales. All I can say is that if I was in a body of water with a whale I would be having a panic attack.
                        Free Willy must be hell for you, huh? lol

Comment

dying alone

Comment

The fear of becoming a Robbie when I'm old(er)
                            Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

If I ever make it to Vegas, I'm more than a little scared of getting robbed in a Taxi, or getting in a Taxi that isn't an official Taxi. That, and getting lost in Vegas.
                              Scared the MRI I'm getting tomorrow will show something bad,
                              Blah blah blah, I won't bring the mood down anymore, lol.
                              Getur einhver annar verið Glanni ? það bara passar ekki
                              Stefan Karl Stefansson, það er enginn eins og þú!

Comment

Originally posted by LazyPooky View Post
                                The fear of becoming a Robbie when I'm old(er)
                                I'm techinically already starting to become one, and I'm 15. I've hardly been making videos for my YouTube Channel recently...

Comment

Working...
                                X