X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate name for Villain Number One and other LazyTown songs

Re: LazyTown Song Discussions

So, "Villain" vs "We Are".

I posted this in response to a YouTube comment, but I thought I'd be worthwhile to paste here rather than reiterate the same thoughts. I should now add that we've now twice had the title "We Are Number One" used from a quasi-official source, and no doubt the soon-to-be-released version will solidly this in the track title. I'm curious as to what those in the "Villain" camp think.

"I think GetLazy's mistaken here. The TV broadcast clearly has "we are number one" in the chorus, with two distinctly different instances of the word "villain". This live version only adds to the problem.

The irony was the use of "we" and the singular "one", as it applies to the clone Robbies and the main Robbie asserting they are 'one'. Here it lacks that single/multiple angle, and opts strictly for a bad guy anthem.

GetLazy's agreement hinges on Icelandic pronunciation, which should then be consistent across the whole song, and it's not. There's a reason Robbie's solo "Villain Number One" towards the end sounds so distinctly different, is because no other point do you hear a hard n sound. It's a different word.

Most importantly, their argument is primarily that the title is VNO vs WANO, and the rest of it is just inductive reasoning. It stems from a batch of early song titles, including other titles they now know to be early or erroneous (like "Explore the Pyramid")."

Originally posted by Username View Post
    So, "Villain" vs "We Are".
    Many of the dubs also use "Villain Number One" as lyrics. The live play just adds further to the mystery..
    I'm as sneaky as can be. None's sneakier than me.

Comment

It's not the only one with that problem. What's the song title for this song?

This one?

How about?

Comment

Originally posted by Stingy View Post
        How about?
        What's the alternate name(s) for that? I've only ever seen "The Mine Song".
        On a mildly related note, is the Wiki page for that song supposed to say that it is "pretty dank"?

Comment

Originally posted by Sangig View Post
          What's the alternate name(s) for that? I've only ever seen "The Mine Song".
          On the only CD it's been released on, it's called "It's Mine." Additionally, although I can't recall which episode it's from (I think it's LazyTown's Greatest Hits), Stephanie and Trixie start singing the song, and then Stingy stops them because it's his song, and he refers to it as the "It's Mine" song, but even that can be construed as either "It's Mine" or "The 'It's Mine' Song."

Comment

Additionally, although I can't recall which episode it's from (I think it's LazyTown's Greatest Hits), Stephanie and Trixie start singing the song, and then Stingy stops them because it's his song, and he refers to it as the "It's Mine" song, but even that can be construed as either "It's Mine" or "The 'It's Mine' Song."
            It's "Dear Diary", and I always took that as him simply stopping them because the song is his song, as I hear what he says as "That song is mine" rather than "That song, 'It's Mine' ".
            If it's called "It's Mine" on the CD, however, that does raise a slight predicament. It's called "The Mine Song" on LazyTown's YouTube channel, and that's the name I've always heard it called before, so I think that's the one that's stuck.

Comment

They likely tweaked the phrasing for the episode because it's better writing than having him just state the name of the song, plus the track had no official release to keep consistent with. Guessing it first showed up in those Nick Jr filenames.

Comment

Originally posted by Sangig View Post
                It's "Dear Diary", and I always took that as him simply stopping them because the song is his song, as I hear what he says as "That song is mine" rather than "That song, 'It's Mine' ".
                If it's called "It's Mine" on the CD, however, that does raise a slight predicament. It's called "The Mine Song" on LazyTown's YouTube channel, and that's the name I've always heard it called before, so I think that's the one that's stuck.
                I'm half-right. The episode that I'm thinking of is actually LazyTown's Greatest Hits, but the Stephanie/Trixie part did happen in Dear Diary. I got the two mixed up. I checked the episode to reference, but the upload that I found on YouTune (Bado Innos's upload) has the part I'm looking for edited out. When I get home I'll reference my own DVDs and blow your mind ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Fox View Post
                  Many of the dubs also use "Villain Number One" as lyrics. The live play just adds further to the mystery..
                  I've noticed something that might help illuminate the mystery.

So, I've listened to the old music a lot over the years. Like, I mean, single tracks on loop for hours on end. One thing I always noted was how on-point the pronunciation is in these early tracks. Normally people have unique phonetic shortcuts, but it seemed like one of the ADR or music directors working for LazyTown was a hardass when it came to stressing your "T"s, "N"s, and the like.

One example that leaps to mind is how "Secret Agent" is stressed--it's clearly a conscious effort. What I wonder is, was this intended to Americanize the Icelandic actors, or was it intended to not impart poor English skills on kids? Either way, I was kinda shocked when I listened to Go Dance! for the first time. And no, it's not something unique to the Stephs, it applies to all roles.

If any viewers of the UK or other language dubs could speak to this I'd be interested to hear how they may parallel or differ. It may just be someone involved with the US version, but curious either way.

Comment

I'm half-right. The episode that I'm thinking of is actually LazyTown's Greatest Hits, but the Stephanie/Trixie part did happen in Dear Diary. I got the two mixed up. I checked the episode to reference, but the upload that I found on YouTune (Bado Innos's upload) has the part I'm looking for edited out. When I get home I'll reference my own DVDs and blow your mind ;)
                    After reading this I furthered my research, and found another upload of Greatest Hits by a channel called "Arkady Vaughan". I found the part you're talking about, and it doesn't seem to get much more clear-cut than that. "My favourite song is called the "It's Mine Song"!", Stingy says (Or perhaps, the "It's Mine" song). Either way, he clearly states that the song is called "It's Mine", rather than just "Mine".
                    It is the UK dub, however, so perhaps that segment was only introduced in that dub, and didn't exist in the original; as you say, it wasn't in Bado Innos' upload.

Comment

That line was also in the US version, verbatim.

Comment

Yeah, so the point is, I don't know what this song is supposed to be called. "The Mine Song" or "It's Mine" or "The It's Mine Song"? I personally prefer "The Mine Song" even though it's the least likely to be the "real" title.

Comment

I'd lean towards the latter, since that's what the official YouTube channel continues to use. Even though the show's done, there's always 'bible' materials which need to be adhered to when marketing. If you're given a concise packet of up-to-date info, it can leave less room for error. If you're given lots of info, that might seem cool to a fan, but having all those different drafts means you can end up with all sorts of half-finished, mis-titled, or otherwise erroneous materials. This applies to the alternate audio files, too.

Also, I believe "The Mine Song" has appeared in more materials than the "It's Mine" title.

Sometimes though, there is no one single title. That's why you'll often see a song include a secondary title, or a subtitle, tagged to the track name. An example of this would be Green Day's Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life). Now, obviously with those UK/US title differences it doesn't work out so well, as they weren't intended to go side-by-side, so I'd just chock it up to localization differences and call it a day. Ziggy can have his sweets and candy, and some songs can have two titles.

Comment

It's not the only one with that problem. What's the song title for this song?
                            did we really miss the chance to ask him personally...Stingy?
                            Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz View Post
                              did we really miss the chance to ask him personally...Stingy?
                              Who dat?

Comment

Working...
                              X