X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass line on the song Time To Play

Re: LazyTown Song Discussions

Originally posted by Fox View Post
    Haha, Greek or not, I still hope my posts make just a tiny bit of sense to you. If not I can say it in this way: The way it's being sung is not how they would normally do it, but that's what makes it unique!
    Fox, I do have to thank you for your spiel on Time To Play. Made me realise that bass line really is genius. Naturally I had to show it to my bass guitar playing friend. He said "damn, have to learn that time to play bass line". Can't help but smile now when the bass plays the notes at the same time Stephanie sings the words "start the show".

Originally posted by Shakeitpiggy View Post
    Fox, I do have to thank you for your spiel on Time To Play. Made me realise that bass line really is genius.
    Oh wow, people actually read all the nonsense I spew out in my many rambles, that's awesome to know! :icon_lol:
    I assume you meant my post in the topic "What is your favorite LazyTown song".
    It's no coincidence how it ranked, and probably still ranks, in my top 3 over the best LazyTown songs. I don't see that particular song being recognised too much between some of the more dedicated fans, so it's wonderful to finally find a person who shares the same appreciation towards this wonder of a song as I do.

I was surprised to find that the song was actually a tribute, by Máni, to the great 80s disco composer Dan Hartman.1
    When you listen to his song Instant Replay, you can definitely hear the resemblance.
    I'm a huge 80s fan myself, so maybe this is where my love for the song comes from.. Who knows. :p

The bass is great.
    It's actually one of the best, if not the best, bassline in all of the LazyTown songs. In my humble opinion of course..

What I haven't told is that I'm actually a drummer myself, and doesn't know too much about bass/guitar.
    But what not many people know, is that the bass player is always the drummers best friend.
    When we play in my band I rarely even listen to what the guitarists play. Heck, they could be playing "twinkle twinkle little star" and I wouldn't notice.
    But if the bass player makes just one mistake or, even better, a gimmick, my heart skips a beat, and I can't help but throw a joyous smile his way.
    That's why I find LazyTown songs with good basslines interesting. Not because I'll play them myself, but because I, as a drummer, am so dependent on these.

Originally posted by Shakeitpiggy View Post
    Naturally I had to show it to my bass guitar playing friend. He said "damn, have to learn that time to play bass line".
    That is absolutely awesome!
    If your friend actually learn to play this song, please get him to upload a video of it. I'll promise to watch it the first 100 times at least. :xd:

I actually went out of my way and created a small thing for you and your friend, and of course also for my own pleasure.
    We're so extremely lucky that Stingy made a MIDI version of the song in question.2
    I took the freedom to make a small video where the bass is isolated.

If your friend likes to learn by ear, that video should definitely come in handy.
    If he can read sheet music, here's the complete set for the bass.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TimeToPlayBass1.png
Views:	1
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	149729Click image for larger version

Name:	TimeToPlayBass2.png
Views:	1
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	149730
    Sorry if it's looking a bit messy. I just extracted the bassline and use an online converter to make the sheet music.. :p

Anyways, with that being said, I'll just leave it here with some other worthy contestants for the Best-LazyTown-Basslines™ cup.

New Games Everyday has always been very dear to my heart as well.
    It has that same funky feel to it, which many musicians tend to like.

Princess for Eternity also falls into this group.
    It's heavily inspired by 70s Disco/Funk a la Chic style.
    Furthermore it's a Season 4 song, which is a rare sight in these sorts of threads.. :icon_lol:

1 - http://www.getlazy.net/wiki/index.ph...e=Time_to_Play
    2 - http://www.getlazy.net/forums/showth...-LazyTown-MIDI
    I'm as sneaky as can be. None's sneakier than me.

Comment

Originally posted by Fox View Post
      Oh wow, people actually read all the nonsense I spew out in my many rambles, that's awesome to know! :icon_lol:
      I assume you meant my post in the topic "What is your favorite LazyTown song".
      It's no coincidence how it ranked, and probably still ranks, in my top 3 over the best LazyTown songs. I don't see that particular song being recognised too much between some of the more dedicated fans, so it's wonderful to finally find a person who shares the same appreciation towards this wonder of a song as I do.

I was surprised to find that the song was actually a tribute, by Máni, to the great 80s disco composer Dan Hartman.1
      When you listen to his song Instant Replay, you can definitely hear the resemblance.
      I'm a huge 80s fan myself, so maybe this is where my love for the song comes from.. Who knows. :p

The bass is great.
      It's actually one of the best, if not the best, bassline in all of the LazyTown songs. In my humble opinion of course..

What I haven't told is that I'm actually a drummer myself, and doesn't know too much about bass/guitar.
      But what not many people know, is that the bass player is always the drummers best friend.
      When we play in my band I rarely even listen to what the guitarists play. Heck, they could be playing "twinkle twinkle little star" and I wouldn't notice.
      But if the bass player makes just one mistake or, even better, a gimmick, my heart skips a beat, and I can't help but throw a joyous smile his way.
      That's why I find LazyTown songs with good basslines interesting. Not because I'll play them myself, but because I, as a drummer, am so dependent on these.

That is absolutely awesome!
      If your friend actually learn to play this song, please get him to upload a video of it. I'll promise to watch it the first 100 times at least. :xd:

I actually went out of my way and created a small thing for you and your friend, and of course also for my own pleasure.
      We're so extremely lucky that Stingy made a MIDI version of the song in question.2
      I took the freedom to make a small video where the bass is isolated.

If your friend likes to learn by ear, that video should definitely come in handy.
      If he can read sheet music, here's the complete set for the bass.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7155[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7156[/ATTACH]
      Sorry if it's looking a bit messy. I just extracted the bassline and use an online converter to make the sheet music.. :p

Anyways, with that being said, I'll just leave it here with some other worthy contestants for the Best-LazyTown-Basslines™ cup.

New Games Everyday has always been very dear to my heart as well.
      It has that same funky feel to it, which many musicians tend to like.

Princess for Eternity also falls into this group.
      It's heavily inspired by 70s Disco/Funk a la Chic style.
      Furthermore it's a Season 4 song, which is a rare sight in these sorts of threads.. :icon_lol:

1 - http://www.getlazy.net/wiki/index.ph...e=Time_to_Play
      2 - http://www.getlazy.net/forums/showth...-LazyTown-MIDI
      Definitely a resemblance there with instant replay. I also sent my bass friend Stingy's MIDI and he says it may turn into a thing he works on when uni exams finish in June, so we'll see, but thanks for isolating the bass for us. I also told him about Princess for Eternity too. I think that bass line is more improvised though, and Robbie's rapping makes it more interesting, but still real funky.

My bass friend and I play in one of the bands at uni, where all instruments except strings are welcome; I play clarinet. We recently played We are number one at our concert just gone sort of as a joke. So my favourite songs tend to be the ones with prominent wind and brass like Man on a Mission and We are number one. Time to play and Princess for Eternity have some good horn lines too. I'm a bit of 60s fan so I really love The World goes Round and Round.

Comment

Working...
      X