No announcement yet.

Anyone thought of translating Latibaer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone thought of translating Latibaer?

Did you get any episode?

Comment

Originally posted by Stingy View Post
      Good thing there is one.
      Oh wow, I should learn to use the search option once in a while..

Anyhow, I'll keep the updates in here then.

6th January 2016
      I went and took contact to a nice guy named Kristófer that is offering transcription and translation service. He normally does small soundclips or texts, and charges a very low fee for this.
      I asked him whether he would be interested in doing the entirety of the 1999 play Glanni Glæpur i Latabær. I asked for a price estimate for the transcription, and for the translation as well.

7th January 2016
      Dear Kristófer got back to me, and said that he would very much be interested. Here's a snippet of what he said:

My rate would be in line with what my gigs advertise, but a few things might lower the words per gig for my translation a bit (f.x. a play transcription takes longer than a normal text) but it shouldn't be too much extra. So I cannot give you an exact estimate for the translation yet.

For the reasons I mentioned and because I don't know yet how many words it will be after it is transcribed. But for the transcription that will be 10 gigs (50 USD) for the whole play (including the one you already ordered). After the transcription I can give you a price estimate and we can try one gig like that, if that is ok with you, and if that goes smoothly, pricing will be the same for the rest.
      So as of right now, I have asked him to provide us with the first 5 minutes of the play, transcribed and translated. He already started working on the transcription, so I would expect no more than a couple of days until we get our example. I will keep updating this thread when I hear more.
      I'm as sneaky as can be. None's sneakier than me.

Comment

Only 50 dollars for the whole play?
        Getur einhver annar verið Glanni ? það bara passar ekki
        Stefan Karl Stefansson, það er enginn eins og þú!

Comment

Originally posted by Fox View Post
          ...So as of right now, I have asked him to provide us with the first 5 minutes of the play, transcribed and translated. He already started working on the transcription, so I would expect no more than a couple of days until we get our example. I will keep updating this thread when I hear more.
          The first 8 minutes of Glanni Glaepur í Latabae are translated a couple of years ago. So you can check if the results of the new translation match with that one.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_q5DhKRs2Y
          Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyPooky View Post
            The first 8 minutes of Glanni Glaepur í Latabae are translated a couple of years ago. So you can check if the results of the new translation match with that one.
            Ah, great idea!

Comment

8th January 2016
              The ordered example has been delivered. 5 minutes of Icelandic transcription, as well as a translation of this.
              Dear Kristófer has made an excellent piece of work. Not only did he use captions such as [Intro Music], he also added an entire timeline of when words are spoken. I can only imagine this is rather time consuming for him, so we have to figure out whether or not we can live without this. Time tracking is not useful for making .srt files though, as it needs a closing time too. So when making a closed-caption file, we need to do the manual labour ourselves.

He seems to be struggling a bit with all of the names. As well as the other translator, he had some difficulties translation that 'Sport Elf' into something proper English. So we have to figure out if we want the proper play names, or if Sportacus should in fact be.. well Sportacus! What do you guys think?
              Originally posted by Kristófer
              I have left the character names in Icelandic. I can change that for you if you want, into the translated versions of the character names, or I could also leave the character names out, if you prefer. I am however not sure about some of the names of some of the characters. In these cases I just left them out. Let me know if you would like some changes to the format, for example if you want me to make a new timecode for each sentence to make subtitling easier...
              Here are some quotes from the documents:
              [00:00] [Tónlist]
              [00:33] Fugl: Það er aldrei stundarfriður í þessum bæ. Nú byrjar morgunleikfimin.
              [00:40] Allir: Siggi! Þú verður að gera eins og við.
              [00:42] Siggi: Fyrirgefið þið.
              [00:45] [Tónlist]
              [00:54] Fugl: Þetta er Latibær.
              [00:56] Fugl: Alveg óþolandi bær.
              [00:59] Fugl: Bæjarbúar eru alltaf tilbúnir að vera að hjálpa hvor öðrum í tíma og ótíma.
              [01:05] Fugl: Svo ganga þeir eða hjóla í vinnuna. Þeir eru alltaf borðandi hollan mat og ræktandi garðana sína
              [01:12] Fugl: Og hreyfa sig á hverjum einasta degi. Ég skal segja ykkur það að þegar ég flutti hingað fyrir mörgum árum, þá var nú gott að vera hérna.
              [01:22] Fugl: Þá gat maður einfaldlega sofið fram að hádegi, lagt sig eftir hádegi og slappað af á kvöldin.
              [01:30] Fugl: En núna, núna þarf ég að vakna á hverjum einasta morgni til að gala fyrir bæjarbúa.
              [01:38] [Óklárað hanagal og hósti]
              [01:40] Fugl: Og ég sem er svo hás. Og allt út af þessum ástsjúka bæjarstjóra.
              [01:45] Stína Símalína: Og hvað kostar svo eitt undratæki? Fylgir frítt með?
              [01:50] Bæjarstjórinn: Stína mín, Stína.
              [01:52] Stína: Ég er í símanum, maður, sérðu það ekki?
              [01:55] Bæjarstjórinn: Jú. Glanni Glæpur gengur laus.
              [00:00] [Intro Music]
              [00:33] Bird: There is never a moment of peace in this town. Here starts the morning gymnastics
              [00:40] Everyone: Siggi! You have to do like us.
              [00:42] Siggi: Sorry!
              [00:45] [Music]
              [00:54] Bird: This is LazyTown
              [00:56] Bird: A completely intolerable town.
              [00:59] Bird: The town residents are always ready to help each other, day in and day out.
              [01:05] Bird: And they walk or bicycle to work. They are always eating healthy food and growing their gardens.
              [01:12] Bird: and they exercise every single day. I will have you know that when I moved here, many years ago, then it was good to be here.
              [01:22] Bird Then, one could simply sleep until noon, nap in the afternoon and relax in the evenings.
              [01:30] Bird: But now, now I have to wake up every single morning to cock-a'doodle-doo for the town residents.
              [01:38] [Starts cock-a'doodle-doo but stops and coughs]
              [01:40] Bird I am so hoarse. And it is al because of that lovesick mayor.
              [01:45] Stína Símalína: And how much does one of those wonder-appliances cost? Og hvað kostar svo eitt undratæki? Included for free?
              [01:50] Mayor: Stína, Stína.
              [01:52] Stína: I am on the phone, man, can you not see that?
              [01:55] Mayor: Yes. Glanni Glæpur walks free.
              I went ahead and did some quick copy pasting in sony vegas. I speak hardly against using hardcoded subs, as they first of all require a new upload, and secondly are very inferior to using a program for making an srt-file. You'll have a better visibility, and also a more stable flow.
              Never the less, the subtitles match up pretty good with the other upload. You can go and look for yourself.

Originally posted by Glanni's Girl View Post
              Only 50 dollars for the whole play?
              Sadly no. He charges $5 for every 10 minutes transcribed. Another $5 fee goes into him translating it then. Anyway, he agreed to transcribe the entire play for $50. As of translating it, he seems to be a bit unsure:
              After the transcription I can give you a price estimate and we can try one gig like that, if that is ok with you, and if that goes smoothly, pricing will be the same for the rest.
              If you understand the same as I do, he will transcribe the play, and then look at how much work he needs for translating it. If our payment goes smoothly, he will charge us with another $50 for a translation.

Don't worry though, we'll have this figured out before putting it all to work. I basically just need your acceptance right now, then I'll discuss pricing with him, and make a totally clear deal.

Comment

He seems to be struggling a bit with all of the names. As well as the other translator, he had some difficulties translation that 'Sport Elf' into something proper English. So we have to figure out if we want the proper play names, or if Sportacus should in fact be.. well Sportacus! What do you guys think?
                Well, he is not wrong because Íþróttaálfurinn literally does translate into Sports Elf, but Íþróttaálfurinn == Sportacus.

Don't worry though, we'll have this figured out before putting it all to work. I basically just need your acceptance right now, then I'll discuss pricing with him, and make a totally clear deal.
                Yeah so let's talk about this. At the end of the day, I will make sure that it is paid for in full, but it would be great to see some of the folks band together here to chip in for this task.

Originally posted by LazyPooky View Post
                I compared the two. They are basically the same, with a few subtle differences. This new translation seems to be a bit more literal in some places, while the other uses some slang-y words. That said, there are times in the previous translation where it doesn't make sense, and this new one makes sense the whole time.

Comment

At the end of the day, I will make sure that it is paid for in full, but it would be great to see some of the folks band together here to chip in for this task.
                  As you may already know, I would be more than happy to contribute with some financial support.
                  I will almost do anything for this wonderful site, and now that my own skills are not very useful, at least I can chip in with some coin.

I compared the two. They are basically the same, with a few subtle differences. This new translation seems to be a bit more literal in some places, while the other uses some slang-y words. That said, there are times in the previous translation where it doesn't make sense, and this new one makes sense the whole time.
                  Yeah, that is also one thing I noticed right away. I may be a good person to have in on this, as I understand a few words here and there, and I can tell you that some of the words I did understand, are not easy to translate. For example when the bird says "cock-a-doodle-doo". The Danish (and Icelandic) word is "gale", and even though I know the proper English term for it, there is no way I would have come up with it when needed. Google Translate is also to no help here, and I can see that the closest thing it comes up with, is the same word used in the other translation; "crow" (..not you, silly ;)).

Anyway, what I'm getting at, is that I really like what I've seen from this guy. I truly believe that we will get a wonderful translation, and for the price it's almost a no-brainer.
                  The only important part we need to figure out, is what we want him to call the characters in the play. The original Icelandic names, the English television names, or a combo of these two? This is, however, not something we need to rush at, as he wants to transcribe the play first, before beginning the translation part. And by that I mean two different orders.

So if someone has anything to say regarding the quality of the material provided, or if you know of a better solution we should perhaps have a look at beforehand, now is the time to speak up!

Comment

As you may already know, I would be more than happy to contribute with some financial support.
                    I will almost do anything for this wonderful site, and now that my own skills are not very useful, at least I can chip in with some coin.
                    We will figure it out.

Originally posted by Fox
                    Yeah, that is also one thing I noticed right away. I may be a good person to have in on this, as I understand a few words here and there, and I can tell you that so[]me of the words I did understand, are not easy to translate. For example when the bird says "cock-a-doodle-doo". The Danish (and Icelandic) word is "gale", and even though I know the proper English term for it, there is no way I would have come up with it when needed. Google Translate is also to no help here, and I can see that the closest thing it comes up with, is the same word used in the other translation; "crow" (..not you, silly ;)).
                    It will be a process, certainly. Translation is always a bit messy, we we will all do our part to take linguistic license and come up with a nice, clean translation.

Originally posted by Fox
                    The only important part we need to figure out, is what we want him to call the characters in the play. The original Icelandic names, the English television names, or a combo of these two?
                    Well, the great majority of the characters in the play do have English names, and the rest will be translated in English, so it seems obvious to me that their names would be in English. The few that don't are Rikki Ríki (which translates in spirit to Richy Rich), Glaumbæjargengið, and Pósturinn (post man). There is also Eyrún eyðslukló in Áfram Latibær! which we will have to figure out what to do with when we do that one as well.

Comment

Just want to let the good people of GetLazy know that I've been in contact with the translator to get the ball rolling on this.

Comment

Just want to let the good people of GetLazy know that I've been in contact with the translator to get the ball rolling on this.
                        That's good news. Will they translate full episode?

Comment

Originally posted by ParvizHalimov View Post
                          That's good news. Will they translate full episode?
                          Right now we are planning to translate the entire Glanni Glæpur í Latabæ play.

Another interesting path we could take with this is the songs. We can either literally translate the songs, which would be more accurate but also more clunky, or take some liberties with them and translate the spirit of the songs, but change the words to make them more song-like. They would be less accurate then, but traditionally closer to what translating actually consists of.

Comment

Right now we are planning to translate the entire Glanni Glæpur í Latabæ play.

Another interesting path we could take with this is the songs. We can either literally translate the songs, which would be more accurate but also more clunky, or take some liberties with them and translate the spirit of the songs, but change the words to make them more song-like. They would be less accurate then, but traditionally closer to what translating actually consists of.
                            That's good idea if you guys translate the songs like song-like. We will learn how to sing in English. And after that, only one thing will be left to do to dub the show with subtitles you put.

Comment

..And after that, the only one thing left to do, will be to dub the show with the subtitles you put.
                              Haha, that would be awesome. If such a thing was ever to happen, I would definitely audition for a role.

Comment

And after that, only one thing will be left to do to dub the show with subtitles you put.

good lord...the plays as a mix of european, asian and american accents lol...fortunately there isn't a character matching the german accent (supervisor or police officer)...Stephanie with dutch accent would be great though
                                Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X