No announcement yet.

LazyTown is not getting the recognition it deserves in the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, I hope not. Junk food may be profitable, but so is health food. Just look at the outrageous prices in organic stores!

I was really annoyed about the name change with Philosopher's Stone, that title was based on the real Nicholas Flamel's studies and a real part of alchemical history. They just threw all that meaning out the window to appeal to the 'dumb American' stereotype. LazyTown's title is just fine as it is.

Comment

But junk food is usually considered tastier and easier. By easier I mean there's bags of potato chips and boxes of chocolates and they keep for ages too. Eating apples or bananas is a lot more work and they start to rot pretty fast so you have to get new ones ever few days rather than just going to the mall once a week and pick up 4 bags of chips.

Comment

Plus there's more chance for profit because it's a lot cheaper to make.
        You need various farmers and harvesters and a lot of land and time to make fruit, but you just need one or two people to keep an eye on a machine to make junk food.

I'm sure the show would have a lot more support if one (or preferably all) of the characters smoked.

Comment

Not smoking probably. When they bring animes to the US and dub them and stuff, they usually edit cigarettes and alcohol out.

Comment

I'm surprised by that, the pro-smoking lobby (and its grip on pretty much everything) is huge in the States.

I can see how they wouldn't get away with putting smoking into shows, but I thought they'd win on not taking it out when it's already there.

Comment

No, children's television is completely different. Certain broadcasters don't even allow punches to connect on-screen anymore. References to alcohol or death usually aren't permitted either.

Comment

The actor that plays Robbie Rotten smokes, you can see the evidence in the behind the scenes pictures.

Comment

Thats why hes the bad guy =P

Comment

yep. he smokes. i have a pic of him smoking actually. when i first saw it, it bothered me a LOT. i was like "why is he doing that?? he's on a show to support good health?" ...

it bothered me more than it should have i think (i guess because i have never smoked anything or been drunk).

here's the pic i am talking about:

Click image for larger version

Name:	canteen-n-recreation-008.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	182517

Comment

Nice beard, Stefan.

I couldn't care less whether he smokes, it's not the healthiest choice but not the worst thing he could be doing either.

Comment

obviously i still adore him and support him in his career, i just don't admire the fact he smokes.

and ya, that beard is h.o.t

:)

Comment

Was there a time when Lazytown was on the regular Nick Jr. schedule? Seems like it would be a show that'd be on more in the summertime, but who knows.
                          The funny thing about Lazytown is how it promotes eating sports candy and healthy food, then the commercial break afterwards is filled with Cap'n Crunch and Fruit Roll-Up commercials.

There are dozens of reasons why Lazytown isn't a runaway hit in America like it is in other parts of the world. Except for a few exceptions, live-action children's shows don't do very well. They're harder to market, and you can't make toys and shit from them like you can do with Dora the Explorer and Rugrats and whatever. The show itself is really kitschy and unusual, almost creepy at times. Puppets that resemble humans are usually creepy and some kids might be weirded out by that, so they don't watch. I dunno.

It really boils down to the toys and shit they can sell off of the show. Cartoons are easier to sell merchandise for.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Tindell
                            There are dozens of reasons why Lazytown isn't a runaway hit in America like it is in other parts of the world. Except for a few exceptions, live-action children's shows don't do very well. They're harder to market, and you can't make toys and shit from them like you can do with Dora the Explorer and Rugrats and whatever. The show itself is really kitschy and unusual, almost creepy at times. Puppets that resemble humans are usually creepy and some kids might be weirded out by that, so they don't watch. I dunno.
                            I agree! When I first saw the show it creeped me out. The puppets were unusual compared to other series with puppets I've seen, I thought they were made of clay or something. lol. And I just was weirded out, so was my sister. But eventually the music, comedy, etc got to me and now I love it. I think that is another main reason though that this series draws an older crowd, its weird and foreign. :)

Comment

Originally posted by merlin55
                              Originally posted by Jim Tindell
                              I agree! When I first saw the show it creeped me out. The puppets were unusual compared to other series with puppets I've seen, I thought they were made of clay or something. lol. And I just was weirded out, so was my sister. But eventually the music, comedy, etc got to me and now I love it. I think that is another main reason though that this series draws an older crowd, its weird and foreign. :)
                              Brr, stingy used to creep me out a bit. I'm used to him now though

Comment

In my case, Trixie still creeps me out... maybe that's why I don't like her much (does anyone like her?)

Comment

Working...
                                X