X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Icelandic in America

Originally posted by Alan314159
    Originally posted by xjocundxlilacx
    I'd learn more of the language, but there are no phrasebooks ANYWHERE in my town. I've picked up a bit from the Wikibooks Icelandic book, as well as Latibaer, but all i really know is takk fyrir.
    Do you have any films on DVD that contain Icelandic subtitles? Quite a few do, as I should imagine that virtually no English-language film ever gets a separate release in Iceland. Combined with a dictionary it's not a bad resource to use.
    It won't be that much use in teaching you grammar, of course, but it's useful for picking up the odd phrase or two.

For example, my copy of Die Hard has Icelandic subtitles. This might be a bad example though - most of Bruce Willis' dialogue would probably get me punched in the face if I used it in conversation with an Icelander...
    I have a Simpsons DVD with Icelandic subtitles I might have more, but I distinctly remember The Simpsons Christmas 2 as containing islenska subtitling.

Comment

you can watch video's in icelandic on youtube for learning pronounce. This one has christmas songs and the lyrics are in the description with some information about pronouncing.

[youtube]iOgPzRC1iiA[/youtube]
      Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by pooky
        you can watch video's in icelandic on youtube for learning pronounce. This one has christmas songs and the lyrics are in the description with some information about pronouncing.

[youtube]iOgPzRC1iiA[/youtube]
        Takk fyrir darling :) How come Icelanders always sound high-pitched?

Comment

you are a pirate in Icelandic with subtitles

[youtube]tvhPUpfN-VQ[/youtube]
          Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by pooky
            you are a pirate in Icelandic with subtitles

[youtube]tvhPUpfN-VQ[/youtube]
            LOL, I've seen that video loads of times, but it never fails to put a smile on my face

Comment

I am working on it...one word a week...IT'S STEPHER TIME

Comment

Originally posted by Arra View Post
                I am working on it...one word a week...IT'S STEPHER TIME
                Ha
                Seven years have passed. What have you learned so far?

Comment

It's fun to compare other languages to my own. Icelandic is fun because it shares a common ancestry with English and I enjoy trying to decipher Icelandic using only my knowledge of English. It's also fun because it reveals the etymology of English words since Icelandic is a more pure language that is somewhat stuck in time. For example, the Icelandic word for what I would colloquially call a dog is, "hundur." This reveals that the English word "hound" is likely older than the words dog, pooch, canine, or any other name for the animal.

Comment

Originally posted by mizz_pink View Post
                    I was wondering if Americans learn Icelandic
                    i am. :)

Comment

Originally posted by LazyPooky View Post
                      Ha
                      Seven years have passed. What have you learned so far?
                      basics is about it right now...;)

Comment

Icelandic in America

in my recent endeavour to learn more Icelandic I watched this humorous video of American trying to say Icelandic words.

https://youtu.be/Kdm0WUuSgG4

Comment

Working...
                        X