GL - the band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GL - the band

I'd vote for We Will Be Friends too. It's a lovely song. I think a ballad version would be pretty cool.

Edit: Just for reference, a rough sample of where I am with this song right now. I'm still trying to adjust the new mic to get a decent sound out of it, though it's still just about as sucky as the old one. I still need to sing a few bits better too, but I'll try my best.

Alternatively, just use Chem. Twice the talent for some fraction of the frustration. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Gazpacho
      So, which is the first song to be made? We Will Be Friends gets my vote.
      We can discuss details as soon as people ANSWER THE DAMN QUESTIONS!

And Zoki, that's sounding pretty good so far, if a bit quiet.
      If you can play around with it a bit more I'm sure you can get it sounding great.

Comment

Originally posted by Zokita
        Edit: Just for reference, a rough sample

...Though it sounds like you're shouting at parts, if the microphone isn't set to max volume I suggest doing so. ;)

Comment

That's what I'm having trouble with. This mic is even less flexible than the old one. If I set it anywhere other than the lowest settings possible, even if I'm whispering, there's static everywhere. I tried to get the cleanest recording possible, so I had to go minimum volume.

I'd wanted to get one of the nice headsets, but the salesperson pressured me into one of their cheapo (to the tune of under ten dollars) units that weren't selling enough *grumble*

Comment

Originally posted by Zokita
            That's what I'm having trouble with. This mic is even less flexible than the old one. If I set it anywhere other than the lowest settings possible, even if I'm whispering, there's static everywhere. I tried to get the cleanest recording possible, so I had to go minimum volume.

I'd wanted to get one of the nice headsets, but the salesperson pressured me into one of their cheapo (to the tune of under ten dollars) units that weren't selling enough *grumble*
            Aww, that kinda sucks.

How much were you thinking of spending in the first place?
            You can probably pick up a decnt mic online with the difference.

But then you'll have wasted money on the first one. Could you not return it?
            Still, it's unwarranted hassle, isn't it? :|

Comment

I'm so sorry this post is so long but I've been thinking for a while now about how we can do this. And if this is where we're gonna brainstorm, well...

Microphones
              Yeah, Zoks, I'd consider returning it if you don't like it simply because you don't like it. See if they'll take it back. They should. You don't have to tell them it's 'cause you didn't like it - tell them it didn't work right. I mean, technically, it didn't - it's not working the way you wanted it to, right?

Then again, I don't know if the difference between, for instance, a $10 mic and a $40 mic is going to be as noticeable as the difference between those and a $100 mic. We recorded What if God Was Stephanie on a $100 mic and it was awful - all the static and everything. Alex did a great job of hiding it but that song put up against the songs we've done recently with my new mic is worlds different. I mean, it was still leaps and bounds better than my old headset but I guess what I'm saying is we just can't shoot for studio-quality stuff 'cause we'd all go bankrupt. Unless we could get a sponsor out there to put up a few K for some good mics...

...yeah, didn't think so.

Recording
              So...I was thinking about it and trying to come up with some sort of plan for how to tackle the songs. See, it's not like we can all just sing with the instrumental versions and incorporate that into our file and send it to Ultra Magnus - he can't make a mix of us all singing/playing along with the track - we will have to send him just our voices/instruments. The only feasible way I can figure out for us to do this is to:

#1: NOT USE AUDACITY!!!!! Audacity sucks so bad that we made a parody song about it. For some reason, it just screws up the sync so bad it'll make poor Ultra Magnus's head spin. I'm not even kidding - even if you don't mix it down with the instrumental, it just sucks like that. So find something - ANYTHING else besides Audacity. Audacity is good for recording speaking stuff or stuff you don't have to sync up with some other track but not for something like this.

#2: I guess the easiest way to do this is to get out an iPod and listen to the instrumental (NOT the track with the vocals) while you're recording. It would probably be nice to give Ultra Magnus a count-in like "two, three, four [sing/play]* to make it easier for him to gauge where he's going to have to trim the tracks we send him. I dunno, maybe not - do you have an opinion, Ultra Magnus?

The big thing is to make sure to get as little surrounding nose in the recording as possible. Even make sure your headphones aren't too loud so that the music doesn't get picked up by your mic. The best place to sing is a room that's got clothes or couches or carpet all over the place. The more sound-absorbing stuff in the room (like cloth), the better. Or better yet - if you have a laptop, sing in your car!

Anyway, those are some suggestions. There are a million & one things that can totally screw up a recording and, eventually, the mixdown but if we're just doing it for fun and not for the technicalities - I think it'll be a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by ChemKneazle
                I'm so sorry this post is so long but I've been thinking for a while now about how we can do this. And if this is where we're gonna brainstorm, well...
                I was thinking it'd be better to keep this kind of thing to PMs.
                That way we don't end up boring everyone else who's not involved with all the details they don't really care about.

And with that, I sent a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by notorious
                  I'm CJVercetti BTW
                  If only...

Also, are you even part of this?

Comment

Meh...

I agree with Matty. tl;dr;idc

It get's too complicated and I get bummed out on how complicated it is and I lose interested. Tell me what to do and I'll do it. I'm good at taking commands ;)

Comment

Were seriously making a getlazy song???

LOLOLOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Zafa

LOLOLOL!
                        Ya know, the song I've got my heart set on right now goes a little something like this:

"Bing bang, cookin' by the book, 20 times up and 20 times dooowwwn.
                        You. Are. A PIRATE!!!"

By Zafa

Comment

Originally posted by ChemKneazle
                          Originally posted by Zafa

LOLOLOL!
                          Ya know, the song I've got my heart set on right now goes a little something like this:

"Bing bang, cookin' by the book, 20 times up and 20 times dooowwwn.
                          You. Are. A PIRATE!!!"

By Zafa

Comment

Originally posted by DawnStar
                            I'm good at taking commands ;)
                            Meh, m-dom is not nearly as hot as f-dom! :(

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Gazpacho
                              Originally posted by DawnStar
                              I'm good at taking commands ;)