Pretty in pink

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• Pretty in pink

Written by Jon Barrett
    Tony Kids, July 1st, 2006

New Yorker Julianna Rose Mauriello, 14, star of Nickelodeon's LazyTown, talks with TONY Kids about her hit show, working in Iceland and her recent Emmy nomination.

Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	182261

So, how would you describe LazyTown to someone who hasn’t seen the show?
    I play Stephanie, a little girl who’s really energetic and a go-getter. The show also stars Sportacus, who’s a superhero and keeps LazyTown safe, and Robbie Rotten, who’s a villain and wants everyone to be lazy and will do anything to get his way. It has a really good message, which is for kids to live a healthy lifestyle.

How did you find out that you were nominated for an Emmy?
    Actually, the day that it happened my mom was out, so I got home and got a call from Kay, the executive producer of the show. She, thinking that I already knew, said “Congratulations!” and I was like, “For what?” Then she told me and I got so excited, and my mom came home and she was thrilled.

Okay, we have to ask: What did you wear?
    I actually wore a dress which I helped design with the wardrobe designers at LazyTown, Maria Olafsdottir and Maria Valles. I felt very elegant in it. It was pink, in honor of my character’s favorite color.

Were you nervous?

Yes. When I walked the red carpet, which wasn’t actually red, I was just a little nervous. But as we got closer to my category, I started to get butterflies in my stomach.

How did you feel about losing to puppeteer Kevin Clash, who voices Elmo on Sesame Street?
    Kevin Clash is amazing and I really admire his work. After the show I went over and congratulated him, and he could not have been nicer or more gracious. I was so honored to be in the same category with him!

Okay, getting back to LazyTown, is it difficult to act with all the puppets and special effects you have in the show?
    It did take some getting used to, but now it’s normal for me to talk with puppets. Now, I watch other shows with puppets and say, “Oh, I know how to do that.” I know all their special tricks!

We hear the show is taped in Iceland. How much time do you spend over there?
    I’m there for about five months a year.

Do you go to school there too, or do you go on set?

I get tutored on set.

Do you attend regular school when you come back to New York?
    I do, although I wouldn’t call it regular. I’m in ninth grade at the Professional Performing Arts School. So that’s how I can leave school and still keep up with it.

How would you compare Iceland to New York?
    Well, I love New York. But it’s really interesting in Iceland because the country doesn’t have huge buildings or anything. The countryside is really amazing; there are glaciers and volcanoes and glacial lagoons and all this beautiful stuff that you couldn’t really see anywhere else in the world.

Do people ever recognize you from the show?
    In Iceland, they do. But in New York—not so much. In Iceland, people come up to me and they’re just like, “Hi, I know who you are.” And they talk to me in Icelandic, which I can speak a little bit.

Do all your friends watch your show?
    Some of them, yeah. They actually like it. I think they like it because I’m in it and they can watch me when I’m not in school and when I’m not at home. They like the music, which is funny to me.

Now, a more personal question: Which character would you rather date on the show, Sportacus or Robbie Rotten?
    Probably Sportacus, because, I mean, he’s so much nicer.

Photograph courtesy of Nickelodeon
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• LazyTown’s Bing Bang (Time To Dance) sold 100,000 singles in the UK (2006)
      by LazyPooky
      Musician Máni Svavarsson has achieved the great success of having sold 100,000 singles with his song Bing Bang from LazyTown, and the song has thus become a gold record seller on the British charts. The song has just entered the list and ranks in fourth place on the list behind the artists Take That, Booty Luv and Eminem and ahead of Nelly Furtado, Justin Timberlake and Beyonce. Máni says in an interview with Morgunblaðið that he received congratulations from his publishing company last Sunday...
      28 March 2023, 14:40
    • Invisible special effects in LazyTown
      by LazyPooky
      LazyTown’s film world is complex and when the dynamic film fails, Balcells and his colleagues take over. Their role ranges from bringing in the smallest details that are difficult to film to creating full-length videos in 3D. Balcells allows me to look over the shoulder of several employees where really amazing things are happening. “Actually, the technical term ‘technological effects’ does not adequately reflect what we do. If the viewer realizes where technology replaces the film, we have...
      27 March 2023, 13:41
    • Adventures of the girl with the pink hair (2006)
      by LazyPooky
      Who is the cheerful girl with the pink wig who plays Stephanie in LazyTown and was recently nominated for an Emmy Award? Sigríður Víðis Jónsdóttir visited Julianna Rose Mauriello from the USA, who lived in Iceland for almost a year when the first episodes of LazyTown were being filmed. She has now arrived in Iceland for the next season.

Most of the time, she is referred to as Stephanie, but her real name is Julianna Rose Mauriello and she does not have pink hair, but dark brown....
      4 March 2023, 19:47
    • The adventures around the corner (2005)
      by LazyPooky
      LazyTown has received market rights. The phenomenon is no longer the brainchild of one visionary, and is well on its way to becoming a powerhouse in international children’s television. Where there are no lazy people in LazyTown Entertainment; Merchandise, a traveling show and a movie are among the things currently on the drawing board. – Helgi Mar Árnason walked around in LazyTown.

The TV programs about the lazy inhabitants of LazyTown, in which the cunning Sportacus manages to avert...
      6 February 2023, 11:27
    • LazyTown Live in Manchester UK-2006
      by LazyTown
      Written by John Scheerhout
      Greater Manchester News, August 14th, 2006 DOZENS of children were at the popular stage show during the Sky festival that took over the city center this long weekend (11-13 August, 2006) Huge queues snaked around a fenced-off stage at Cathedral Gardens in the city center before a live version of the phenomenally successful kids TV show LazyTown, featuring superhero Sportacus. Those who had managed to get their hands on the free tickets queued on one side and ...
      4 August 2019, 10:21
    • An interview with Örn Árnason (The Lazy Genie)
      by LazyTown
      December 5, 2005
      Words by Sveinn Birkir Björnsson

The most popular comedy program in the country, the comedy troupe behind the show Spaugstofan recently celebrated 20 years working together. Founding member, and former Grapevine cover boy, Örn Árnason sat down and explained the appeal of his program.

Örn Árnason
      Photographed by Gúndi

After 20 years in the business, is Spaugstofan still funny? Do you ever feel like it’s hard to stay...
      11 July 2019, 00:20
    Working...
    X