Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• Top of the World

Written by Ken Pontac
    Iceland, July 14, 2004

Holy Christ! I’m in Iceland!

The sun shines all the time here, and the hot water from the tap smells like a fart from a sourstomached old man who’s eaten too many pickled eggs. The signage is incomprehensible, people’s names are unpronounceable, and the money looks like panels from a comic book regaling tales of stern, bearded men wearing odd hats and holding ponderous tomes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pontac001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	182249

That being said, the weather is fabulous (that’ll change), the food is delicious (I’m gonna get fat), and the women are giant blond goddesses (I can’t touch ‘em).

Name:	pontac002.jpg
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	182250

How did I get to this strange place? What happened? Oh, yeah… the story’s starting to emerge from my sleep deprived brain.

A week ago I got a call from my pal, Mark Zaslove, who’s the Story Consultant for a series called LAZYTOWN. The show is being produced for Nick Jr., and can be seen on Nickelodeon weekdays at 10:30 and 11:00 AM. LAZYTOWN is described as “a fresh new television series designed to engage and motivate kids to make healthier choices in their everyday lives. The show is action-adventure on a small scale, encompassing movement, music, and comedy in an entertaining story.” A writing spot had just opened and Mark had thrown my name into the hat as a potential scribbler. He described the show to me and it sounded like a hoot. I told him I was interested.

Name:	pontac003.jpg
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	182251

After discussing the offer with my lovely wife Susan, we decided that it was worth biting the bullet and dealing with an extended separation. After all, how often do you get a chance to travel to Iceland? Resumes got sent, agents got called, and a week later my plane was setting down on a volcanic island on the top of the world!

Name:	pontac006.jpg
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	182252

I know it’s going to be a crazy adventure. And a TON of work. My first day here I was up for 30.5 hours (a new personal record!). After my grueling plane ride I got two hours of sleep before I was driven to the studio, given a quick tour by Creative Consultant Mark Valenti, and plopped in front of a video monitor where I watched every episode of LAZYTOWN that had been produced to date. If you’ve seen the show you can imagine what kind of a sensory overload that was.

The studio is the type of creative madhouse those of you familiar with that sort of environment might imagine, but for various reasons it’s even more so. The place embodies the spirit of country, where the capricious climate has given birth to the phrase, “If you don’t like the weather in Iceland, wait five minutes and it will change.” The production is driven by a mercurial genius named Magnus Scheving, and he is, as far as I can tell, the personification of this unpredictable island. Magnus is such an incredible character that I’ll have to devote a separate entry just to describe his dynamic persona, and even then, words won’t do the man justice. He’s one of the most energetic and amusing fellows I’ve ever met, and sharp as a damn whip.

I can’t talk about Magnus without mentioning his co-star: Stefan Karl, who plays Robbie Rotten in the show. For those of you who know what I’m talking about, Stefan is the Icelandic version of Rob Paulsen. For those of you who don’t know what I’m talking about, that means that he’s a very funny, very shmoozy, very ambitious actor. We get along famously. More on him later.

Name:	pontac007.jpg
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	182253

The final member of the live action cast is Julianna Rose Mauriello, a remarkable thirteen year-old who is absolutely incandescent on the screen. She’s a triple threat (singing, dancing and acting), and she’s also smarter than the average kid her age. Her mother, Kahlua O’Callahan, promises to be a breath of straightforward American air during future late night bull sessions. I look forward to them in smoky dark clubs with endless coffees.

Name:	pontac008.jpg
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	182254

I’ve met a lot of people in a (very long) day, and I’ve barely scratched the surface of my experience. A good writer leaves his audience wanting more, though, so I’m going to sign off for now. Tomorrow morning I’m going to take a walk and see what kind of place I’ve landed in. One more image follows, just to amuse and clarify the “Land of the Midnight Sun” concept. The picture below was taken at midnight, outside of the flat where I’m crashing.

Name:	pontac009.jpg
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	182255

One final, disconcerting thing: as I’m falling asleep tonight I keep hearing the voices of women, speaking fragments of trivial sentences in English, clear as a bell and right in my ear. When I wake with a start they stop. Is the place I’m staying haunted, or are the walls just thin?

Good night to all
    Ken Pontac, Iceland
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Running from Reykjanesbær to LazyTown every morning (2004)
      by LazyPooky
      Last spring, Kjartan Már Kjartansson, municipal representative in Reykjanesbær, started working for one of the most interesting entrepreneurial companies in the country of Iceland: LazyTown. For 10 years, Icelanders have followed the development of LazyTown with interest, and today around 130 people work for the company. Kjartan Már talks about the job, the collaboration with Magnús Scheving, the creator of LazyTown, and the company’s future possibilities. In the houses of LazyTown at Miðhraun...
      26 October 2022, 20:25
    • LazyTown accused of propaganda against Bush (2004)
      by LazyPooky
      Complaints about the political brainwashing of children in Magnús Scheving’s LazyTown show in the United States appeared on the show’s online forum. A Texas-branded coffee mug in the hands of Robbie Rotten is a very insidious way to inject political messages into the subconscious of American children. The producers of LazyTown are accused of trying to insinuate political propaganda against the President of the United States into the subconscious of children in their programs, which are shown...
      8 October 2022, 02:14
    • Julianna Rose Mauriello: "I'm feeling pretty fine"
      by LazyTown
      "I had never been to Europe before I came to Iceland", says Julianna Rose Mauriello who plays Stephanie in the TV series LazyTown on the TV station Nick Junior where it's currently shown. "It was snowing when I arrived in January but it was also snowing in NY where I live and the first thing I noticed when I arrived here was the language which sounded a ot difficult". Julianna spends most of the time on the set for LazyTown till the end of December. "Hanna Maja who's the make up artist is teaching...
      9 June 2018, 02:26
    • LazyTown Lays Down Staying in Data From Viper to Color Grading
      by LazyTown
      Written by Debra Kaufman
      StudioDaily, December 1, 2004 It’s a long way between Boulder, Colorado, and Reykjavik, Iceland, but the distance is even greater between a traditional television workflow and a futuristic, data-centric all-digital pipeline. Mark and Dana Read have traversed both divides with LazyTown, a children’s TV program running on both Nick Jr. and CBS. LazyTown Entertainment joined forces with Mark Read s’ Hypercube, a Boulder company specializing in virtual environments...
      13 August 2017, 19:33
    • Latibær heading out into the world
      by LazyTown
      Written by Inga Rún Sigurðardóttir
      MBL - Fólk í fréttum 2002 Latibær has a new look and townspeople have got American names and looks. Inga Rún Sigurðardóttir talked with Ágúst Frey Ingason, Secretary General, about the expansion. Life and animation are around Latabæ these days, and perhaps Americans may not have to wait long for a chance to get acquainted with the Sports, Solla Stare, Gogga Mega and Glanna Crime, or Sportacus, Stephanie, Pixel and Robbie Rotten, as they are called in English. ...
      9 June 2017, 08:05
    • Top of the World
      by LazyTown
      Written by Ken Pontac
      Iceland, July 14, 2004 Holy Christ! I’m in Iceland! The sun shines all the time here, and the hot water from the tap smells like a fart from a sourstomached old man who’s eaten too many pickled eggs. The signage is incomprehensible, people’s names are unpronounceable, and the money looks like panels from a comic book regaling tales of stern, bearded men wearing odd hats and holding ponderous tomes. ...
      14 August 2014, 14:46
    Working...
    X